Fenix LD20 R5 vs. 4Sevens Quark AA², R5 HELP ME CHOOSE

cplusplus

Newly Enlightened
Reasons for a LD20 over Quark

-Diffuser cup compatible ( probably the main reason I'm thinking on getting this)
-Cooler looking
-Fenix regulation
Specs
-Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
-180 Lumens
-IPX-8 water proof standard

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_LD20-R5.html

Reasons for Quark

-Bad anodizing (My broken Fenix E21 is full of scratches though I never dropped it not sure if LD20 have the same problem though)
-More lumens for the money
Specs
-3 mods: SOS, Beacon, moonlight, medium, high and strobe
-ipx-8 water proof standard
-205 lumen max
-T-6061 aircraft aluminum

Regular: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_305&products_id=1620
Tactical: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1656

I'm not sure about how much these lights can throw. Please tell me how good the throw is for both lights and share your experience if you own any of these lights. If you think I should get the Quark then please tell me whether I should get the Quark Regular or Tactical. If you have any other suggestions for any AA lights upcoming or released in the same price range I would like to know.Thank You

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reasons for a LD20 over Quark

-Diffuser cup compatible ( probably the main reason I'm thinking on getting this)
-Cooler looking
-Fenix regulation

Be aware that you lose the LD20 low mode(s) with lithium primary cells and alkaline cells. Low only works with NiMh cells.

Reasons to get the quark over the LD20:
Much lower low mode (the LD20 low mode is about 15 lumens and only available if you use NiMh cells while the quark lows modes are actually low)
better beam (both my LD20 had a very poor beam with artifacts and pinholes)
You can lego a quark to another body (like a single AA body or cr123a body)
The Quark has a buck and boost driver so you can use a single 14500 cell if you lego a single AA body
You have the option of a forward clicky or reverse clicky (the LD20 only has a reverse). You can lego the forward on later if you like the regular head vs the tactical head.
smaller

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might get some heat for this but in my own experience, Fenix lights generally have a slightly better overall build quality than their 4sevens counterparts. Now I'm not saying that apply's to every single model of fenix vs quark you compair out there, however I believe it does apply here when compairing the LD20 and quark AA. The LD20 is a sturdier, more solid light, but not by a large margin. I'm sure you'll be happy with either light.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I spent a month deciding before I could buy one as my first real light. I eventually bought both :twothumbs
As for your choice, I agree that the Fenix has better build quality than the Quark. The Quark's beam and mode spacing will smash the Fenix's though. My LD20 R5 and R4 both have ringy beams, and the R4 has the most annoying donut hole at distances further than 1 metre.
Also, if you don't need to constantly switch modes, get the Tactical model. I leave mine on Low/High. That way I conserve battery life on High instead of using Turbo without having to flick through 3 modes, and if I want low, I don't need to tap through 3 more modes (useless SOS/beacon modes). Needless to say, I despise the regular UI, but YMMV.