High CRI vs. Neutral

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
So which on you prefer? Do you value more about better color rendition of high cri led or higher lumens on neutral white led? If we take XP-G as an example you can get R4 neutral white leds where with high cri you need to satisfy to Q2-Q3. So does higher output of neutral led surpass the benefits of better color rendition or not?

I'm wondering this issue since I need a camping flashlight. Primary light will be headlamp so flashlight comes to play when I need to see further away yet it needs to be fairly compact. Currently I'm considering about P60 host with nailbener XP-G drop in but can't decide which led I should choose.

But I think it would be interesting to hear people's opinions about this matter. Color rendition vs. Lumens in general.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was camping just last night. Very quickly all the cool and neutrals were put away as my High CRI lights out performed them. I love the 7A3 XP-G. It is just lovely!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Neutral (5000k) and high CRI is great for near field stuff. It (generally) can't beat the bruit output of the pale tints though for throw and distance. The high-flux pale-whites just reach farther (generally).

I like both for different applications.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an HDS Twisty custom fitted with a high CRI Nichia. The beam tint was sublime, but it wasn't bright enough for me to use out of doors. I would say I need R2 efficiency bin (or equivalent from a different manufacturer) or higher before I feel comfortable switching from neutral to high CRI.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the orange warm tint maybe it's the whole color of the sun at night time just doesn't go well with me, I guess simply put I don't like the orange look. I do like neutral though the colors of the foliage seem more natural to me and the extra lumens don't hurt, I'm a cool white fan though so what do I know. :)

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neutral (5000k) and high CRI is great for near field stuff. It (generally) can't beat the bruit output of the pale tints though for throw and distance. The high-flux pale-whites just reach farther (generally).

I like both for different applications.

+1

Chris_Himself

Newly Enlightened
Hi CRI for sure. I feel that it's more of a technological breakthrough than absolute lumens these days

JanCPF

Enlightened
I wont be going onto high CRI before they can make it at a higher color temperature around 5500-6000 K which is the CT of sunlight at noon on a clear day. Those 3000-4000 K leds may render color better, but they are *way* too orange/yellow for my tastes. The neutrals doesn't IMHO render color better - they just output brownish light.

Last edited:

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
I would give away a bit of color rendition for a better overall light ( white/neutral) It is just so better indoors and as a general purpose light and I tend to prefer more lumens and throw than rendition. However, if my primary concern was using the lights in a forest/area with a big amount of greenery, I'd go for the Hi-Cri but those type of situations is not what you would normally do in your everyday life! :)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
My two HCRI lights are McGizmo's - a Sundrop (1xCR123) and a Haiku (2XCR123). My other most used light is a Pocket Rocket 8th run XM-L with a T6-3B emitter (closest to white, or noon sunlight). The PR-8 isn't bad, and would probably satisfy any person looking for a neutral tint light ... unless that person already has experience with a HCRI emitter.

It is hard to put into words, but the HCRI light quality is the most pleasant of anything I've ever seen. Colors are true to life, and the light is easy on my eyes, even on a pitch black night. I run the Haiku & the PR-8 about one to two hours per day, more in the winter & less in the summer, as both are my "dog walking lights". The HCRI trades off luminous flux for beautiful light quality, and not everyone is willing to accept the lower lumen output (or the shorter run time at the same output as a neutral light).

They both have a place. My rear facing light is the PR-8, as even the low setting is 51 lumens with a broad beam distribution. My front facing light is the Haiku, set at the mid level of 23 lumens - enough to see well and retain good night vision. They make a great pair. The best solution, as always, is to have both :nana:

Illum

Flashaholic
Big difference, especially when you are reading under the LED. Neutral is more pleasant than cool for a table light, but hi-CRI is more comfortable to read under, but even at 1000ma is a little dim.

bodhran

Enlightened
I edc HCRI and when I'm doing something where I want something brighter, I break out a Neutral. Just for fun it's Mac's SST50 4500k.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go for the High CRI no matter how many lumens less, or tint.
in the case of Cree's high CRI XP-G, my favoirte LED, its perfect for me, cause i actually prefer warm tint over neutral tint.

neutrals and especially cool tints have a glaring effect on me, i think ive gotten too used to warm tints.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have cool tinted lights that I use, but given a choice I'd go high CRI everytime, regardless of tint. I actually prefer the warm tints too. I love my M61HCRI in the MD2, but the lack of a clip leaves it on the dresser most of the time.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go for the High CRI no matter how many lumens less, or tint.
in the case of Cree's high CRI XP-G, my favoirte LED, its perfect for me, cause i actually prefer warm tint over neutral tint.

neutrals and especially cool tints have a glaring effect on me, i think ive gotten too used to warm tints.

+∞!

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
TO my eyes, the warmer tints are easier on the eyes. The HICRI like the M61 has better color rendition. It reminds me a lot of the good old incandescent flashlight, like the old 6P.