Stainless LD01 came in and it's way better than I imagined

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I don't really have anything to add here that isn't available in any of the other reviews I've read of this fine light, but I wanted to comment on the feel of the light, because I'm very happy with it.

I have a theory that density (as opposed to weight or size alone) makes something feel like good quality. The density was what I noticed first when I opened my Stainless Steel Fenix LD01 that came today. It just feels bulletproof.

The second thing I noticed was how SHINY it was. I'm not looking forward to my first few scratches... maybe I'll sandblast it. (That's my answer to everything.)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
TheTomas;3707851 The second thing I noticed was how SHINY it was. I'm not looking forward to my first few scratches... maybe I'll sandblast it. (That's my answer to everything.)[/QUOTE said:
A bunch of shallow scratches going in every direction looks really good in SS and Ti IMO.

brandocommando

Enlightened
I have 3 on the way!!! Glad to hear the good report! I know what you mean about the density/quality, my SS L2m is one hefty unit. How is the tint on yours?

stoli67

Enlightened
I have the LD in Al, SS and Ti.

My only problem (if I can say that) with the SS is that the R5 has quite a green tint.... compared to the Aluminium version in particular.

The SS does havce the smoothest threads of the three.... really nice...... and of course it feels hefty like nothing could ever harm it!

If I could get a neutral or even a cool white LED in one then I would get another!

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 on the way!!! Glad to hear the good report! I know what you mean about the density/quality, my SS L2m is one hefty unit. How is the tint on yours?

I'd love to answer your question, but questions about tint are a bit lost on me, since I'm mildly red/green color deficient. I'm also very new to the "flashaholic" scene, so I have little experience with different flashlight tints. All I can say is that it looks slightly less yellow (is cooler the word?) than my Inova T1. It seems very white.

I have the LD in Al, SS and Ti.

I can't find any reference to an LD in titanium, do you have a link or a picture?

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
The second thing I noticed was how SHINY it was. I'm not looking forward to my first few scratches... maybe I'll sandblast it. (That's my answer to everything.)
I've carried the original version on my keys for a couple of years, you'll find the finish very durable.
Norm

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 on the way!!! Glad to hear the good report! .... How is the tint on yours?

My LD01 SS R5 arrived today. The tint is a little green, but not that noticeable unless you compare it side-by-side to a light with a cooler tint. I've had lights which were so green that you could see the green right away without comparison and my LD01's tint is not nearly that green.

Hope this helps.

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I've carried the original version on my keys for a couple of years, you'll find the finish very durable.
Norm
I'm happy to hear that, and I guess if mine doesn't hold up, THEN I can get it sandblasted.

brandocommando

Enlightened
My LD01 SS R5 arrived today. The tint is a little green, but not that noticeable unless you compare it side-by-side to a light with a cooler tint. I've had lights which were so green that you could see the green right away without comparison and my LD01's tint is not nearly that green.

Hope this helps.

Yes that helps thanks. I guess with 3 coming I will just have to open them all up and keep the best tint for myself!!! The other 2 were going to be gifts anyway...

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see some more LD01-SS converts... maybe with a little higher sales volume Fenix will make another batch with a premium emitter. wait... was that a little bird?

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
Nice to see some more LD01-SS converts... maybe with a little higher sales volume Fenix will make another batch with a premium emitter. wait... was that a little bird?

That would be bad... cause then I wouldn't have the best one :)

I've opened a can of worms here haven't I?

nbp

Flashaholic
Excellent choice! Even with a variety of lights to choose from, I still carry my SS LD01 often, and it has been used a lot over the last couple years. For me the MED it comes on in is a great level for most EDC needs, it has perfect threads, and has held up fabulously. This was a slam dunk from Fenix in my opinion. BTW, if you carry it in a pocket alone, it polishes itself. ;)

And no, there is no going back now. :oops:

mrlysle

Enlightened
My SS LD01 rides around my neck on one of the lanyards the come packaged with one of my Quarks. I think they're super nice lanyards, and obviously that sweet SS doesn't care about sweat, and stuff. Still looks as good as the day I bought it. I really don't consider the tint on mine green. It's just a very creamy white. I love it! Now, my Quark 123x2 in Ti, with that limited run S3? That's green! The little LD01 in SS is one of the nicer AAA offerings going IMO.

kahuna2793

Newly Enlightened
My LD01 SS R5 is in the mail this will be my first led flashlight can't wait. What battery is everyone using? Can you lithium battery or 10440?

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I'm using a super cheap kirkland alkaline, so I'm sure I'm not getting the max out of the light, but it's very bright anyway. I'm eventually going to get some rechargeable NiMH AAA's if I can find them with a charger, especially since I'm waiting for my Ti Preon 2.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received two SS LD01 w/ the XPG R5 today. One had a slight yellow to the tint and the other is the standard purple/blue cool tint. One has a nicely centered emitter and the other has a clearly off center emitter (though it does not seem to have any effect on this type of light). Both are very nice lights. I found my Eneloop AAA cells are at the end of their life. I charged them about a week ago but got no high mode using any of the eneloops. I had to use an alkaline cell to get high. Oh well, I guess it is time to buy more AAA eneloops.

nbp

Flashaholic
+1 for Eneloops. My LD01 has run very happily on Eneloops for quite some time now. Great cells, decent price, and often you can get them packed with a charger. The supplied ones are good, though apparently the older chargers, model MQN05 or something like that (hit up the search bar for specifics) are better than the newer ones as they had 4 separate charging channels. Glad I have 3 of those. :nana:

stoli67

Enlightened
I'd love to answer your question, but questions about tint are a bit lost on me, since I'm mildly red/green color deficient. I'm also very new to the "flashaholic" scene, so I have little experience with different flashlight tints. All I can say is that it looks slightly less yellow (is cooler the word?) than my Inova T1. It seems very

I can't find any reference to an LD in titanium, do you have a link or a picture?

LoTi

Last edited:

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I see, I didn't realize it was a limited edition. Shame, cause I'd be all over that.