6 Cell Maglight Mod

looman

Enlightened
I have a cell Mag host which I would like to make into a monster output (throw and flood) based light.

I want to run it on rechargables of sorts so what are the options that give good lumens for the bucks ?

I dont want to go mega mental and something pretty much plug n play would be ideal as I am not handy on the DIY side of things.

I do a lot of hunting so something that will allow for a wide search light with a good throw would be nice.

Any recomedations would be gratefully received as always.

Many thanks in advance

Looman

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Just get a Rop High bulb with a metal reflector and a glass lens and you will be set. No other mods needed.

Andy13186

Newly Enlightened
Start a thread in the modified/custom flashlight forum.. or a mod will move this one there i think.

anyway

I think a 6 cell could run 6 NIMH rechargeable D batteries and power a ROP bulb for like multiple hours at approx 800+ lumens. Im not 100% sure this would work but i did hear this. I did just order parts to build a ROP 2d maglite with 6aa adapter though. You will also need new lense and reflector.

there are brighter options too, like 3500+ lumen builds that light stuff on fire. they cost more and you will need to buy more parts, like a new switch and driver, and possibly a 18 aa to 6d conversion tube from mdocod .

look up mag623 mag85 and ROP maglite builds.

With a 6D.. this is not really ever going to be practical to carry, so id say you should make it as ridiculous as possible. Maybe bore it out to accept the 4 stacking AA adapters so you would have 24 AA batteries in it. New borofloat lense, metal reflector (id go with VLOP). then new switch and driver so you can have a low mode and it can withstand the heat. (Ask in modified maglight forum for some build advice on this part , i dont know much). Osram 64623 may be the bulb you would want. 4000+ lumens, multiple modes, and it will be able to easily set stuff on fire. This light may have some recoil...

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Moved To Homemade and Modified Flashlights Discussion - Norm

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
planty you can do, but plug and play not so much, pbly the easiest\cheapest terralux tle 300.
600lm 3 modes, runs on 6 alkalines cells just fine. about $70, night and day compared to factory 6d light. there are other great drop ins like this here

but a monster light will need hands on work, how not handy on the DIY side of things are you exactly?, and how much you willing to spend on it??