Quark Mini AA plus Fenix HL20 Rattlesnake night hike Part 2.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Quark Mini AA plus Fenix HL20 Rattlesnake night hike Part 2.

We now have a Part 2 to the ever popular and nearly year old LED light/rattlesnake thread. For those unfamiliar with the older thread here is a link.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?287534-Quark-Mini-AA-night-Rattlesnake-hike.

So far the Quark Mini AA Q3-5A has held up just fine in it's roll as backup flashlight, headlamp (with headband) and primary lantern. More than once the warm/neutral glow hanging off some paracord helped me find my camp during those night water and wood runs. But enough small talk about the 4/SEVENS lets get on to the rattlers. After last year I wanted to curtail night hikes though snake country but it hasn't worked out that way. :D Often get a late start or look to push extra miles at the end of the day.

It was around 103F and got beaten down heading towards camp with miles still to go. I think it was just starting on towards dusk (no need for a light yet) and heard a load rattle. Dropped my hiking poles and backed up a few steps. The rattle told me I wasn't in danger of trampling the snake and picked up the poles to look around. Maybe 5 feet away found this bundle of joy acting all pissed off. Not sure it liked the camera flash. :laughing:

IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_6858.jpg

IMG_6859.jpg

Like most snakes it didn't want a fight and moved off but wasn't exactly in a hurry to go. This seems to be a rattlesnake thing as seen it before. Spent 20 minutes trying to get good photos as the light faded and realized it was going to be yet another night hike in snake country. Sorry to say .00005 lumen moonlight modes isn't going to cut it. I took out my Fenix HL20 which despite multiple headband changes and a broken diffuser is a nice headlamp with throw and reasonable output for 1XAA. I try to use the same battery type for all my gear.

IMG_6877.jpg

One pro of a single battery headlamp/flashlight is easy changes in low light with bugs sucking your blood. I forgot to change my battery from my last trip but no worry as always pack extras. One fresh Duraloop, a few Rayovac LSD plus an alkaline which I never want to use.

IMG_6881.jpg

I got my uncle a HL21 with smooth reflector but honestly prefer the older one. It just seems like a brighter/better beam but for the money can't complain about either.

Night time water collecting in a nearly dried up stream.

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6882.jpg

A bandana is great for filtering out larger particles but won't make this water potable. I boiled or used tabs.

IMG_6893.jpg

No more snakes but ran into some night time frogs hopping around camp.

IMG_6903.jpg

Birch bark which works wonders for tinder to start my hobo stove.

IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

Daybreak.

My Mini Quark in it's natural environment with DIY lantern attachment.

IMG_6911.jpg

What the.....

IMG_6913.jpg

I found this M@g maybe 50 feet from my camp. Not an LED but maybe I will looked for a drop-in. Also does anyone know of a place I could buy another HL20 diffuser in the USA.

Thanks for looking.

Woods Walker

Almost forgot to add this photo of the Quark Mini AA on lantern duty. I am happy with this light. :)

IMG_0047.jpg

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoyed your buzz worm thread before and again this one.Can you go looking for crocs or gators next time and we need the pics.

Looking forward

Woods Walker

I enjoyed your buzz worm thread before and again this one.Can you go looking for crocs or gators next time and we need the pics.

Looking forward

Already done. I get around.

IMG_6289.jpg

100_5099.jpg

Themaxx69.

My shelter was Hennessy hammock Explorer DLX with 10x12 Equinox sil trap on it's own ridgeline. The larger tarp works great to break down camp in the rain.

I used that Fenix HL20 today breaking up tile in a dark bathroom. As for the Quark it is still kicking. I used it on a Nitecore headband looking for Bigfoot on the AT. I heard a knock and a howl. What more proof does anyone need.