Help which Surefire m2, m3, or lx2

BrownBear

Newly Enlightened
Hello To all CPF users

I am in the market for a new light to switch from my current surefire L5
I am looking for more power/throw

I am looking to hear insight from you guys about what to get,

I am partial to the millenenium seriers, but just maybe the m3 isn't all that anymore

I have seen the
m2 for bouts $95
m3 $120
lx2 $130

I have read about all the c2 mods that I can do to my m2,
so my question is for the m3
can you put a tricked out led drop in for it that really really powerful,
Other than the lumen factory one for the m3, can I use like an m4 or m6 drop in
I would probably try and power it with one of the 18000 type batteries that you would recommend

Or should I keep it simple and just get the lx2, I dont like that it doesn't have the combat grip, but it is two stages

I buy a new light every 2yrs or so, thus why I want feedback about which is the best light to go with

To accompany this new light I have my
L5
6p, with a solarforce drop in, in the mail

What are your guys thinking

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which Surefire m2, m3, or lx2

so my question is for the m3
can you put a tricked out led drop in for it that really really powerful,

I got an M3 thinking it would take the P60 dropins but it doesn't and LED upgrade options are scarce and expensive compared to those for the C2/C3/M2/6P/9P's.

Or should I keep it simple and just get the lx2, I dont like that it doesn't have the combat grip, but it is two stages

I've got a couple of LX2's, a common complaint is that the spill is almost nonexisitent outside the nice hotspot produced by the optic. My C2/C3/6P/9P lights with dropins have much nicer beams to my eye with their reflectors. Don't know if I'll get an M2, the setback for the shock absorber in the head reduces the beam from some reports.

A C2 at the closeout price (less than $60 at some retailers) with a nice Malkoff or Nailbender dropin and perhaps a Z48 tailcap is a better value than the LX2 at the moment in my opinion.

BrownBear

Newly Enlightened
Re: Which Surefire m2, m3, or lx2

A C2 at the closeout price (less than $60 at some retailers) with a nice Malkoff or Nailbender dropin and perhaps a Z48 tailcap is a better value than the LX2 at the moment in my opinion.

Are any others of this same opinion,
which would have more throw
m2 with malkoff
or lx2

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello To all CPF users

I am in the market for a new light to switch from my current surefire L5
I am looking for more power/throw

I am looking to hear insight from you guys about what to get,

I am partial to the millenenium seriers, but...

Might consider the Z2X, which looks pretty M-ish. Combat grip ring, single mode, no total internal reflection but 200l will be an upgrade, & without the downgrade in beam quality from your L5 (which looks much nicer i.mo. than the t.i.r.'s). I'm curious if the z2x has spring shock absorbers in the head... probably at least as much as the L5- anyone know?

21cb913.png

iapyx

Enlightened
The LX2 with almost no spill is excellent to cut through fog. The narrower the beam the better. I don't know if you intend to use it in foggy situations, but it's a thing I wanted to mention.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might consider the Z2X, which looks pretty M-ish. Combat grip ring, single mode, no total internal reflection but 200l will be an upgrade, & without the downgrade in beam quality from your L5 (which looks much nicer i.mo. than the t.i.r.'s). I'm curious if the z2x has spring shock absorbers in the head... probably at least as much as the L5- anyone know?

21cb913.png

That Z2X looks nice, anyone got one, what is it like?

Yeah I'd like to hear more about it as well, & the awesomeness that would be generated with one of these tailcaps on it, assuming they're compatible:

28hzl92.jpg

znwqb7.jpg

I just hope the exterior diameter of smallest portion of the triad, the part toward the body, isn't larger than that last ridge on the tube.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LX2 is a good, small thrower. Surprisingly, it actually has pretty good spill too, it's just that the hotspot is so intense, it plays tricks on your eyes and makes the spill look "non-existent". Compare it to some other lights and concentrate on just the spill, and I think you'll be surprised at how much it actually has. At any rate, the E,L,A series of lights are much easier to carry.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you said you were partial to the millenium series, yet included the LX2 among your initial ideas along with the m2 & m3, it sounded like you wanted something simpler & "beefier" than the executive styles, but with the efficiency of a modern LED.

Unfortunately, I just found out per this thread (in case OP misses it), that any similarity ends with appearances. Not only does the z2x not have a double spring in the head like his L5, but no springs at all there, (edit)and a plastic reflector, AND a plastic lens?! Seriously? Looking like that? Maybe it's not necessary with LED's, but if so, why include them on L5 in the first place?

I don't think you can go wrong with the LX2. If you don't like the T.I.R. beam, maybe try the appropriate sized flip-up or slip-on beamshaper? Anyone know how to convert the LX2 into a single mode (high only) with a clicky?

Last edited:

geisto

Newly Enlightened
The shock-isolated head on the M2 and M3 isn't as effective in transfering heat than the C2 head. I suggest a Z2 with a Malkoff drop-in.