5D MagLite.. is it practical to use for anything.. other than a baseball bat?

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
I have a 5D Mag and am just wondering if there is a typical mod that anyone would recommend... I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something unless it's really going to turn it into the NightSun... any ideas or feedback? particular threads that I should start by looking at?

Thanks!

CKOD

Enlightened
Well if you can get a 5d>15AA battery holder, you would have an 18V nominal battery pack, and some of the 12V bulbs here look like they could take that, though I'm not experienced in hotwires. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...structive-Incan-Tests-Graphs-(Updated-9-20-09)

5 Ni-Mh D batteries works for 6V bulbs though I dont know if any of those would fall into the night-sun category. 6V is enough for most buck regulators if you wanted to do an LED mod with LEDs in parallel. If you could fit 10 1/2D cells (not sure if they are actually 1/2 the length so 10 would fit) you would have 12V to play with too.

If you got an extended tail cap and fit 5x 26650 cells, you could run a Der witchtel 5A buck converter, and a CSM-360 would be good for ~6000 lumens if you get one of the high-binned ones.

roverjohn

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't 18 or 21 CR123's fit? Someone needs to make a coin cell converter so you could get 2000vdc or something.

/wants to see the air ionize in front of this guys Mag.