Off topic- need advice

R983

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking into buying an suv, something that is more practical for winters and mildly going off road. I found a 98 explorer with 60k miles on it 4 wheel drive, 4 liter v6 and it appears to be in very good shape. I've worked out different figured and worst case scenario with the least amount of money I'd take for a trade on my car, I'd only have around a 60$ a month payment. Do you think this would be worth it? What would you guys do in my position. Not until now have a really realized how impractical a car really is. They are just so limited in where than can go, who can rid in them, what you can put in them and towing if you need to.

Rich

Last edited:

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rich,

Well...it certainly doesn't make any sense to keep or purchase a vehicle that simply doesn't suit your needs. That being said, it looks like you've found a vehicle that does. After taking it to a mechanic to have it inspected and give it a clean bill of health, it's simply a matter of crunching number to get the best deal. In the long run, it may cost you a little more a month, but what value is a Grand Am when your stuck in mud way out in the hollars?

Tomas

Banned
The Explorer will cost you more to run, but may be much better suited to your needs. I had an Explorer, and the particular one I had was a reliable, comfortable, and reasonably competent vehicle if used within it's limitations.

It's a good compromise vehicle for stgreet, highway, and off-road use.

Like tiktok said - if the vehicle checks out and you feel comfortable with it, go for it.

(My Explorer had over 120,000 miles on it before it needed any work worth mentioning, and even at that point, it was minor stuff like the rear-window wiper.)

T_sig6.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow.. i'd think you'd be able to find a better deal than that considering the low mileage on your current vehicle..

i've been cruising around on www.autotrader.com and they have alot of 4x4 vehicles for under 4 grand in the maine/nh/ct area..
seems like you'd be able to find even better deals in NY..

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would avoid a domestic vehicle with that high a mileage. I would even be leary of an import. Is it possible to buy new, or atleast less mileage? With a warranty and something you've taken care of from the start can avoid alot of mechanical problems later on.

R983

Newly Enlightened
I thought this over, and I came to the conclusion I'm just gonna have to deal with the car situation for a while. I mean I just can't justify getting a car payment when my car only has 40k on it and its completely paid for. Plus I just got my insurance changed over to a different company, and with even better coverage I'm saving a grand a year… oh yea I was getting raped by the company I was with before. My next vehicle will definitely be something capable of some off-road use. Plus with the money I save.. There's always SureFire and Pila to take it away from me!

Rich

PS Anyone in the rochester with a truck want a new buddy? Only if u got a truck though...if not the hell with you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

doubleganger

Enlightened
When you do get ready to deal, be sure and get a copy of the consumer report's magazine used car issue. It tells what problems used vehicles are having by make, model, and year. The last vehicle I had was a Ford MoneyPit and I could have saved thousands of dollars since the make/model/year I bought was clearly rated as needing much more repairs than average.

edit: It had no problems at all till about 60,000 miles and then it was just one freaking thing after another. I started calling it the Ford Vampire

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Just to reinforce Tomas' words, it really will be more than $60 per month extra cost. Fuel milage and larger gas tank capacity means each fill-up at the gas station will cost a lot more. Check with you insurance agent, there also might be extra cost there (although not necesarrily, my agent was surprised by the lowish cost of insuring my Jeep Wrangler when I first bought it). As a general rule, full-sized truck parts cost more than equivalent small car parts, so maintenance should cost more over a given length of time.

That being said, only you can answer if getting a vehicle more suited to your lifestyle and needs is worth the extra cost.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that this is particularly helpful, but I would consider avoiding an Explorer if you are concerned about getting stuck. Basically I'd try to avoid anything with IFS/IRS.

I didn't quite follow what your price range was, but consider a Jeep Wrangler (TJ prefered) or Toyota FJ. You should be able to pick up a used one pretty reasonable.

Look for something with locking hubs. Lockers up front and limited slip in the rear would be a good compromise (road vs offroad), and lockers all around (hard to find) would be best (offroad).

Then I would get some decent tires. Goodyear Wrangler MTR, Interco SSR.

-john

doubleganger

Enlightened
You appear to have decided against this vehicle but I woke up early this morning thinking about it. I decided to go ahead and look the explorer up in consumer reports. 4 wheel drive explorers for 98-02 were rated as having worse than average reliability. In the 98's most of the problems were electrical, power equipment, or body hardware. On the positive side the motor rated average and transmission somewhat above average. The Expeditions did better with only the 99 worse than average (lots of motor problems), the 02 better than average and the rest average.

Now lets look at toyota 4wd. Of all the toyata 4wd model/years from 95 to 02 where there was enough data to make a rating, only the 2001 rav4 was rated average. Every other one was rated better than average in reliability.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I previously driven an Explorer and just can't stand how the brake pedal is so much higher than the gas. When driving I just like to twist my foot to the left, and bam the brake pedal. With the Explorer I can't do that, you have to lift up your leg, move it to the left and then press on the brake. Im stop and go California traffic it gets to be a PITA. Plus the extra time it takes to lift and shift ur leg takes longer to stop.

I would recommend an older 4Runner. If it were up to me though, I would buy a Unimog.

doka416y3.jpg

Look at the ground clearance!