Dyson Vacuum Cleaners

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the last 4-5 years Dyson has become the biggest selling bagless vacuum cleaner in the UK.

They are more technically advanced than the competition, the build quality is very good (they look fragile but are actually very strong) and due to the lack of bag suction remains constant even when the cleaner is nearly full.

The DC08 CLASSIC is most effective on hard floors and short carpets, if you have longer carpets or pets you may want to take a look at the DC08 ANIMAL, it's the same basic cleaner but has a powered beater bar built into the head to help in removing pet hair etc. from longer carpets.

881781.jpg
turbo.jpg

I've spent the last ten years working for a major electrical retailer that sells all Dyson models so if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I've got a Dyson, and it is a huge improvement over the vacuum cleaner it replaced. The suction power is terrific, it is lightweight and easy to manuever around furniture and other household obstacles. There is no bag to hassle with as you dump the dust and refuse from a clear plastic container and it has a HEPA filter so dust isn't blown around the house while using it. The cost is more than most other vacuums, but I think it is well worth it. Spend the extra money and get the model with the beater head; it does work better. I hope this was helpful, and you enjoy your new Dyson.

Eric_M

Enlightened
x-ray,

How do they compare to the Oreck vacuums? I've had one for about 5 years now.

Thanks,

Eric

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
Are these available in the U.S.? They look interesting.
We still have an Electrolux from the 50's.
Ok, serious question, Is it as good as a Miele because all the yuppies love their Miele. (along with their sub z's etc.)

iddibhai

Enlightened
i dunno, while in london, i used a DC05, and it was new and it would refuse to start up after going thru one room. i thought it was a thermal protection circuit, but who knows. emptied the canister, etc etc. just the usual hard floors and rugs and carpet, nothing it shouldnt be able to handle. personally, i'd go miele.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Eric Maier said:
x-ray,

How do they compare to the Oreck vacuums? I've had one for about 5 years now.

Thanks,

Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used an Oreck as they seem to only be available by mail order here in the UK, I've only ever seen them in TV adverts that gave a phone # to call and order.

Raven

Enlightened
On a semi related note. I saw a commercial a few days ago for a new cordless upright vac, but I can't remember the name. Has anyone in the US seen this new commercial?

Raven

hula

Newly Enlightened
I had a Dyson vac but now thankfully it's gone. They may well be better now but my earlier upright was **it. Be prepared for any plastic holders and bits to break off easily and if it is an upright don't expect enough suction, when using the hose, to be able to pull the skin off a rice pudding.
I have a Numatic Henry now which really sucks ( pun intended ) it may be a little heavier and use a bag but I'd bet it'd suck the contents right out of a switched on Dyson.

Hula.

B@rt

Flashaholic
A little OT, but your Henry has a bag? Mine only uses a washable filter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif It does suck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif though, and is almost bulletproof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hula

Newly Enlightened
I think it's only right to sound off when you pay ( as I recall ) about nearly 250 pounds for a supposed next generation product only to find the technology let down by quality. The Henry cost me just over ninety pounds and for that you get a machine that does exactly what you want day in - day out, whatever you throw at it. This quality should apply to any product your paying your hard earned money for and if we just sit back and let em get away with it then we ask for trouble.
Yes you can use the Henry with or without a bag Bart. It just saves having to wash the filter so often if you use the bag. Just another one of it's plus points /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
Here we are one year later and I'm now thinking of a Dyson vacuum cleaner. What are the latest opinions/reviews from some owners? I've got a Kohl's 30% discount card that would bring the price down considerably.

Thanks,

Eric

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a factory recondition Dyson DC07 at Amazon for $225 + free shipping. We've had our for a year or so. It's a great improvement compare to those eureka or dirt devil that we had in the past.

Use one of the "$280 - $25 off $125" which are available every two weeks then apply for a BankOne/Amazon card to get another $30 instantly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have had ours for 4 months or so and enjoy it. Good suction compared to our Kenmore and ends up picking up stuff our half filled Kenmore missed. A little pricey, but seems put together as well as a plastic appliance can be.

Aloha
Brian

Zackerty

Enlightened
We have had a DC07 for 18 months now, and it is the only brand that my wife will use, as she and my daughter have asthma. It picks up one dog's and two cat's fur off everything that you can reach. All other brands, Kirby, Electrolux, Miele, did not clean anywhere near what our Dyson does, 'cause my family do not suffer from asthma as much as before the Dyson crept onto our house!

Stu

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
I've went through two Dysons. The original DC01 which did an amazing job of cleaning but was very poorly built. Had to replace the hose and the stair tool (twice) not to mention various small bits kept breaking off, finally the motor died after about three years normal household use. Now I have a DC04. It's better built, all filters are washable (wash the filters every six months) but I've had to replace the hose and the stair tool after about two years use. But for suction power it beats the pants off of anything else.

Jim Skinner

Deanster

Enlightened
I'm another Dyson fan - it's a great vacuum, and does a great job on pet hair. We very carefully vacuumed the house with our old (five or six years hoover upright) machine, then brought the Dyson home, and did it again an hour later - had a full bin of dirt in the Dyson that the other had left behind.

I think full retail is awful pricy, but I'd go for a refurb in a heartbeat, or they've got 'em at Costco for $425 - and Costco accepts returns on anything at any time - if it lets you down, take it back, no hassle.

Highly recommended - and my experience is that the Miele's are good, but more hat than cattle.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I tell ya, this place is good for EVERYTHING!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif CPF

We're thinking about replacing our Kenmore canister vaccuum that we've had for over 7.5 years. It was the most powerful one you could get back then, and it has performed well since we've bought it. I think it still works OK, but my wife thinks that it has lost a little bit of it's suction power. The biggest problem we've had is the wheels have broken off on several occasions, and they're nearly $10 each to replace. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif Not to mention that I recently had to replace the power cord that runs from the handle to the sweeper due to a bad connector arcing and burning itself up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif It now has a standard extension cord plug on it, and you have to manually connect it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Anyway, at the top of our list is the Dyson that Costco has (better than the standard model I think).

Anyone notice I love Costco? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

But, if anyone has a better suggestion for the money, I would love to hear it!!! TIA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

kaseri

Enlightened
We bought a Dyson earlier this year & it's by far the best vaccuum that we have ever owned. We went for the DC11 canister model. I like how small it is & I can store it away in the bottom of a closet easily.

kenny

Newly Enlightened
I hate to chime in negative on this one, but a friend of mine bought one and has already had several things brake -- Dyson the Bose of vacuum cleaners. POS with a GREAT marketing department. If you vacuum alot, like my OCD wife, you need something serious. If you don't have kids and vacuum once, mabe twice a week, them it will probably be OK.

I'm an engineer and actually went to a place the had disected several models, the Dyson included. I can honestly say it is no better than most of the cheap ones out there on the inside (though the outside is nice!). For maybe a $100-$150 more I bought a Riccar. All metal construction, motor built like a brick outhouse etc -- a comercial-grade unit. It's all personal choice, budget etc., but I always like buying stuff for the long haul, it seems as cheap over the long run, but much greater utillity and less hassle.