What kind of Vacuum do you use?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ended up getting a Dyson DC33. First impressions are that it's a well engineered, polished product that's fun to use. However it doesn't clean any better (slightly worse on carpets) then my old Hoover Windtunnel. I don't think I'm going to regret buying this machine but I think I agree with Consumer Reports in that you don't have to spend a lot of money for pure cleaning power.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Guys, any recommendations for an upright that does the job but is on the quiet side?

I remember when I was researching vacs that several owners were impressed with the quietness of the Bissell 5770 upright. I didn't purchase that model as several current owners commented on it being a heavy vacuum. My wife weighs 95 lbs. soaking wet so I opted for a lighter vacuum. You can check the Bissell 5770 reviews out at epinions. Good luck in your quest for quiet and powerful. I do think you will be capable of making an educated guess after reading the Epinion reviews on the Bissell 5770:candle:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kirbys are nice but if I had another 2K I would buy a Polarion! lol

I've used a hoover for the past 10 years and it's worked fine. Just changed bags and filters and it still works great.

langham

Enlightened
I got the brand new Kirby and unlike post #8's comment it is all beast. It is metal everywhere it can be and has a transmission that helps push the 30 lb monster around the room. I have all of the attachments and it is impressive, but as it costs way too much I would never recommend buying one new. My wife had to have it and now I have a really nice vacuum cleaner for no reason. Another thing, it is so heavy that my wife can not pick it up not even with only the base unit, so don't expect your 80 lb wife to be able to lug that thing up the stairs. Again don't waist your money it isn't that much better than the Dyson, it is better but not that much.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
at work i bought for my cleaners, royal commercial upright, my boss told me when he was a kid he used to sell Kirby, and this one is identical, all made out of metal. the reason Kirby works so well is that its spinning brush not only spins but vibrates a bit, thus smacking the carpeted floor (that feature really shines on carpet), raising dust and brushing \sucking. we use it daily on commercial carpet tiles, it picks up anything, Sheetrock dust, toner, dirt after few hundred ppl stomped deep into the carpet.
it is expensive thou, about $500, and you want to install magnet on the front edge, cuz metal can damage the brush, impeller otoh, is exposed, but made of metal, and eats, staples\paper clips, like nothing

FlashlightWidow

Newly Enlightened
We currently have a couple of iRobot Roombas 550/560 for the floors, hard wood with area rugs, and a Bosch BSG7136OUC Formula Electro Duo HEPA Canister Vacuum Cleaner I use on everything else. Provided you use the frequently the Roombas are very effective. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well they do edges and corners.

But the best over all vacuum I have ever used was a mini Dayton Wet/Dry 1.5 gallons. Quite, light weight, maneuverable, and powerful. I got it to use for "shop" stuff and it ended up as my primary home cleaning tool. With a hardwood brush floor attachment about the only thing it did not do exceptionally well was deep pile carpets. It was a true "guys" vacuum - 12 ft hose and a 6 ft cord. "Girl" vacs have 25 ft of cord and a 5ft hose. I want both so I had a dedicated extension cord. My Daton had a lovey washable filter, but also had a bag option for dry. Never did need to use it wet. A friend was trying to do me a favor and killed it. We got a ShopVac replacement and it is just sad.

Cheers,
Sarah

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what brands you have there, stay away from Dyson - they don't loose suction cos they don't have any in the first place! The little Henry ones are good though.,

OK whatever to the above, may as well have not posted.

I recommend DYSON. They rule. I have a Dyson DC-25 all floor ball and I cannot say
enough good things about:

engineering
design
actual use
and how fun it is it use
and indestructable.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
In post #13 above we had only had our Dyson DC25 Ball for a couple of weeks so couldn't comment much about it. We've now had it a yr and a half. We love it!

ArgenteumTelum

Newly Enlightened
My 16 year old Rainbow has served continually without a single problem. Expensive, yes, but in my mind it has more than paid for itself. It replaced a 20 year old Hoover that just went belly up. I'm glad to be free of the bags with the Rainbow's water tank dirt filtration system. Except for a couple dings on the rolling base and a crunch in the hose from a foot, it still looks pretty new.
AT

Norm

Retired Administrator
Our Dysons replace a Bosch cleaner, the fan exploded into thousands of pieces, sounded quite dramatic like a bomb going off.

Norm

Flashlight Enthusiast
friends girlfriend has a Dyson vac, it was in a flood and under water for 5 days. pulled it
out, air dried it without disassembly...damn thing runs fine and 3 years later, still runs fine like nothing happened

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went to pick up some supplies at Lowes for a customer, and he asked me to look for a new vacuum cleaner for him while I was there, because he's immobile, so I looked at all the models they had, which included 3-4 new Dyson vac's, which are WAY overpriced considering they are made entirely of plastic, and I mean cheap, thin plastic. Plus they wanted $349 - $499 for them. But I also looked at their mechanisms, and the ball type wheel on the Dyson ball looks to me as if it will probably break fairly easily at some point. Its just not very sturdy feeling IMO.

Now the other major vaccuum companies are coming up with their own "never lose suction" vaccuums with HEPA filters that are made of the same basic components. So I bought him a Hoover Windtunnel upright for $169, and its a great vac so far. He's had it 2 months and it sucks the same or more debris out of the carpet than some earlier $500 vacuums I've seen from the 90's like the Rainbow. It seems fairly well made, compared with modern vacs. Its not as good as some of the Electrolux vacs from the early 70's which were metal mostly, as I recall. We had one of those for like the first 20 years of my life!

lensman

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Sears canister vac circa 1991. I don't think they make them like they used to but I'd check Consumer Reports.

I also have a cordless Dyson that works well for a cordless. I just use it for quick pickups and the stairs because I got tired of lugging the canister out every time.

Growing up, our family had a Filter Queen; When I was a kid I sold Electrolux door-to-door; I had a girlfriend who swore by her Kirby. I'd call these commercial level vacuums that you'd get if you wanted one to last a lifetime and had the cash to lay out for one of them. Depending on your use they might be overkill, though.

lightplay22

Enlightened
We wore out a new rainbow, bought a used one and wore it out, ( we vac a lot) then the wife wanted an Oreck. LIghtweight, LOUD! and you talk about feeling cheap! but I guess for something that only weighs 8 lb. it would have to feel cheap. I refuse to use it lol.

I picked up a Kirby G5 at a pawn shop for about $140.00 and it is a true warhorse (weights as much as one too). It does a really good job on carpets and rugs, as long as you don't have to lift it lol.

We have had a Henry for about 5 yrs. and it is an excellent machine. Quiet, compact, and powerful, and reasonably priced at about $350.00. It has a floor nozzle that will do carpet or smooth floors which at our house it does the latter.

The Kirby and the Henry make a good combination.

sassaquin

Enlightened
We have had a Henry for about 5 yrs. and it is an excellent machine. Quiet, compact, and powerful, and reasonably priced at about $350.00. It has a floor nozzle that will do carpet or smooth floors which at our house it does the latter.

The Kirby and the Henry make a good combination.

I've researched nearly every vacuum brand in my never ending quest for a quality long-lasting machine and none have peaked my interest until looking at the UK built Numatic Henry. It looks like it has almost everything I've ever wanted in a vacuum and I'd buy one today except I am concerned it may have a UK plug and won't be compatable with my outlets. I've found the Henry available through several US online sellers, but none list information about the plug. Does anyone know? Thanks for any info. :)

Last edited:

jrmcferren

Enlightened
I've researched nearly every vacuum brand in my never ending quest for a quality long-lasting machine and none have peaked my interest until looking at the UK built Neumatic Henry. It looks like it has almost everything I've ever wanted in a vacuum and I'd buy one today except I am concerned it may have a UK plug and won't be compatable with my outlets. I've found the Henry available through several US online sellers, but none list information about the plug. Does anyone know? Thanks for any info. :)

They have an official retailer in Canada and they point to the "US Version" on Amazon as well as the "UK Version" on many models. As long as you can get the US Version of a model you should be fine. The major difference between the US and UK versions are the motors, wire colors, and possibly wire connectors as well as the plug. A vacuum like that is a very simple electrical circuit. The dual speed models probably use a diode to reduce speed (Oreck does) and in that case they may use a lesser rated diode in the US version, maybe not.

sassaquin

Enlightened
They have an official retailer in Canada and they point to the "US Version" on Amazon as well as the "UK Version" on many models. As long as you can get the US Version of a model you should be fine. The major difference between the US and UK versions are the motors, wire colors, and possibly wire connectors as well as the plug. A vacuum like that is a very simple electrical circuit. The dual speed models probably use a diode to reduce speed (Oreck does) and in that case they may use a lesser rated diode in the US version, maybe not.

Thank you, good to know about the different versions. I'll check out Amazon and hopefully will be ordering my elusive dream vacuum this week. :)

Last edited: