What kind of Vacuum do you use?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use eurika canister, tha cheapest, one, i have a dog, and he sheds, so i vaccum almost daily, i change bags often, use hepa filter, and once a week spray fabrize and let the vaccum suck it in, other wise it starts to stink like a dog, i had others vaccums before, threw them out, cuz they started to stink. when i bought the vaccum i tought it'll be in the trash in a year, but it still works like a champ,4 years later, and thanks to bags the vaccum itself doesn't adsorb smell.
i have no carpets or rugs, so spinning brush isn't needed.

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Bissell upright several years ago at Sears. It's awesome. As long as you check and clean the filters (3 of them) then you should be ok. These filters are there for a reason. Also clean the power brush from every day fluffys and hair and it should last almost forever. If, by chance the filters plu up the motor will over heat and suction would be sacrificed.

I was so impressed with the vacuum that I bought a Bissell carpet cleaner (shampooer).
It too works awesome. The only part I hate is that our son and daughter tend to borrow them more than we use them (kid traffic)

BTW, I've used the Home Depot house brand shampoo Zep. Works as well as the Bissell shampoo and cheaper (about 5 years now)

Like anything else in life if you keep things clean and serviced they'll last for ever, well at least for a long time.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dyson...once you own you will understand.

I have tried the other dyson knockoff/copycats & they don't perform on the same level.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
An aging Dyson DC07 and for wet cleaning a Bissel Pro Heat 9500. We've been very pleased with both.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go for a Dyson be sure to change all the filters at regular intervals, otherwise you will find all the power you liked when it was new will go.

We've got a Henry because it has a nice face on it.

Do you guys have Henrys in the states?

LightQuest

Newly Enlightened
Dyson. Excellent machine, would buy it again. Only complaint is no light on it, and no auto cord winder. For what they cost, should come with those features.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around New Year's, we bought a Dyson DC-17 Absolute Animal refurb from Fry's for $199. It's got crazy suction power and does an excellent job. We got our carpets professionally cleaned, just before we moved in, at the end of November, and the Dyson still pulled all kinds of dirt out of the low pile (berber) carpet. Not just stuff, but straight dirt that I can start a little garden in. (well, start some seedlings, at least)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, any recommendations for an upright that does the job but is on the quiet side? My ten plus year old Hoover wind tunnel still works but various plastic pieces have broken off and I have to duct tape the door on each time I change the bag. Plus it really sounds like a jet engine. I only have my 800 square foot condo with low pile carpet and no animal hair so don't really want to spend the $400 for something like a Dyson. I know canisters are more quiet then uprights but would really prefer an upright.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dyson for everyday use, fantastic warranty and good customer support.

Up until the Dyson my wife always needed a self-propelled vacuum due to her disability. However, these are often lurchy and bang up the walls and furniture.

For self-propelled, we typically bought Hoovers and paid what it cost to maintain them. I still have a Hoover and I use it for our finished basement. Once about a month I bring the Hoover upstairs and go over everything, because it does exceed the cleaning strength of the Dyson a bit.

I've also had vacuums as expensive as a Kirby and as cheap as a Bissel. Dyson is the best value overall. Yes, this is despite it's price. I know I have a no-maintenance vacuum under warranty for the following 5 years.

I still have a Bissel as a backup for the Hoover, but it's not very friendly to use and the beater brush keeps operating in the upright position. I should have returned it at the start.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for the Dyson ball vacs. Does the handle fold down flat for vacuuming under tables and other lower objects? I looked thru the online manual and I can't see that it necessarily does.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for the Dyson ball vacs. Does the handle fold down flat for vacuuming under tables and other lower objects? I looked thru the online manual and I can't see that it necessarily does.

I'd recommend checking out videos on youtube, you get a good idea how far it bends back.

There is an additional attachment that goes deep under things, I haven't bought it.