Going old school on my camping trip this weekend!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm taking the family camping for 4 days starting tomorrow. I will use an Arc AAA and 6P. When camping the Arc gets used for 90% of camp duties.

This is an extended family event and I will bring the following loaners; Tikka2+ headlamp, an really old Tikka headlamp with the 3 LED array, 6P w/M61WLL, E2L, E1e w/Aussie Minitower, and 3 glotoobs as night lights for the kids. All the loaners have character marks and are easy on the batteries.

My daughters have cheap 2D flashlights with Niteize LED modules and glowsticks will be issued.

My wife packs an Arc AAA as well.

I will have an M4 for shits and grins in my truck.

Our primary light sources are REI Candleliers. People who fire up Coleman lanterns at full intensity and leave them burning to the wee hours of the morning really kill it for people like me.

It is ironic that my favorite part of camping is sitting around the campfire and my prized flashlights get little use.

Thanks for sharing

kelmo

mbw_151

Enlightened
Here's hoping your camping experience is free of boom boxes, generators, air conditioners and bright lights. Hope you can enjoy the quiet and the dark. We went out earlier this month and managed to catch a new moon and clear skies in the high desert. The stars were amazingly bright and you know its dark when 0.2 lumens seems like a lot.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camping is such a wonderful opportunity to enjoy your precious flashlights. Free of all the city lights and light pollution.

ragweed

Enlightened
Yep... Have a great camping trip!! Those Arc AAA lights should work great on pitch black nights. Let us know how it went..!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

The trip was fantastic. I must say the 6P really performed well. When it is dark that sucker really throws. It really reminds you how well these outdated "incandescent" lights perform and I am old enough to remember when incandescent lights were the only game in town.

We took the kids, 5 of them with the oldest at 4 and the youngest at 1 and a half on a night walk. I was in heaven. Each had a glow stick attached to them and all had a flashlight or headlamp. When we got into an open area we all turned off our lights.

We had a bear prowling the camp grounds. The M4 really came in handy. My buddy Scott has a 6PX Pro and we had great fun patrolling the perimeter between beers.

kelmo

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
kelmo,....thanks for the update. It sounds like a real good time for all. It's been a few years since I have camped out...I'm overdue and miss it.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... bear patroll... good use for a wall of light.

I didn't need any of my brighter lights while camping last week, though, just my brand new Zebralight H51FW and H31R on low and medium. I'm glad we didn't have any bears around, as I needed to wake up early for hiking.

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm camping right now and I brought four lights:

SF T1A for most low light needs around camp and in the tent.

McGizmo Mule neutral XP-G for total flood. Great for scanning the camp to make sure everything is picked up before bed or check for critters. Good color rendition too.

Heavily customized SF C2 with SST50 dropin from NB. Just in case I need big light! Probably won't be used.

Beater SF G2L as a loaner.

I love camping!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing you were missing was an E2O Outdoorsman! Sounds like a nice trip. Yea it's funny how many times I hear about LED guys open up an new 6P turn it on and are impressed.