Still looking for the "perfect" light

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Currently I have a Tri-EDC, a Quark 123*2 Regular, and a Quark 123*2 Tubo XML.

My favorite of the 3 is the Quark 123*2 Regular. I love being able to quickly cycle to whatever level I want with but one quick tighten or loosen of the head and the forward clicky which I think is perfect. I wish it had a sturdier coating though, and I wish it had a higher Max setting.

I LOVE the amount of light that comes out of the XML turbo. It's a perfect blend of throw and flood to me, but it is far from an EDC with that sized head, and I don't like the Tactical UI.

The Tri-EDC is an amazing light for its size. Unbelievable amount of light, but it's all flood no throw. Also the Reverse clicky drives me bananas as I just can't get the hang of it.

What I'm looking for is something that might have the throw/flood of the Turbo XML, but have more quickly accessible settings, a low low, a sturdier coating, a forward clicky, and still be the size that I can easily slip into my pocket and use as an EDC. Does such a light exist? If it doesn't exist is there lego/custom job that might suit my desires?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait. Tri-EDC has a reverse clicky? I thought it was forward just like all McClicky switch equipped lights are.

The only thing I can think of that might fit the bill is Mac's XML EDC. It's the size of the Tri-EDC but maybe an inch longer, it's a single led so you have throw, driven at 2.8a so output is pretty good (about 100lm less than tri-edc last I heard from Mac). The only thing is that its a forward clicky where the light come on before the click. If you're looking for a reverse clicky where the light comes on after the click and then you half way depress the switch to change modes, then I think your choices will be a little limited.

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Wait. Tri-EDC has a reverse clicky? I thought it was forward just like all McClicky switch equipped lights are.

The only thing I can think of that might fit the bill is Mac's XML EDC. It's the size of the Tri-EDC but maybe an inch longer, it's a single led so you have throw, driven at 2.8a so output is pretty good (about 100lm less than tri-edc last I heard from Mac). The only thing is that its a forward clicky where the light come on before the click. If you're looking for a reverse clicky where the light comes on after the click and then you half way depress the switch to change modes, then I think your choices will be a little limited.

Maybe I'm confused on my terminology. I thought the Quark line of lights were forward clicky and the Tri-EDC was reverse? Or do I have them reversed. Whatever the case may be, I really like the Quark style clicky.

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you're right, as I can soft press forward when the light is off to change modes. However, when light is on I can't soft press to cycle, but have to hard press to turn off and then soft press to cycle. Strange...

nbp

Flashaholic
That's how forward clickies work.

How about a Haiku? You can get them in 3v or 6v flavors and with a variety of LEDs including the XM-L. If the custom route appeals to you that is.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Yeah man, I understand your dilemma. Currently, my EDC is a Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. I love everything about it. But I would like to see something of similar size and UI with ability to 'burst' ~1,000 lumens, maybe using 18650. The Fenix PD31 seems like a decent sized light, but it has much-hated (for me) reverse clicky and only comes with XP-G R5. Not to mention that it was a limited run light too, hehehh.

I'm still waiting............

-

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Yeah man, I understand your dilemma. Currently, my EDC is a Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. I love everything about it. But I would like to see something of similar size and UI with ability to 'burst' ~1,000 lumens, maybe using 18650. The Fenix PD31 seems like a decent sized light, but it has much-hated (for me) reverse clicky and only comes with XP-G R5. Not to mention that it was a limited run light too, hehehh.

I'm still waiting............

-

If 4Sevens made a Quark Regular that had XM-L, took a 18650 and ran around 400-500 lumens I would buy it and send it out somewhere else to get a proper protective coating, stick it in my pocket and never look back as that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for at this point. From what I can see my only hope is Jetbeam. Maybe they will put out a XM-L 3M that has a variable switch at some point.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feel your pain OP. Nothing but "almosts" for me, even for these few meager criteria:

-1xAA
-TFO UI
-tailstands

Would sacrifice battery preference for cr123a if the T1A only tailstood, or for AAA if MagLite ever makes an LED Solitaire. Would even sacrifice the TFO UI if Peak would actually sell more of the configurations they supposedly offer. But the good news is it seems like new companies are popping up every day, so eventually one's bound to meet our needs. The key is constantly staying tuned across all the subforums so you don't miss out on some limited production custom model or something that happens to nail it, then is gone forever!

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feel your pain OP. Nothing but "almosts" for me, even for these few meager criteria:

-1xAA
-TFO UI
-tailstands

Would sacrifice battery preference for cr123a if the T1A only tailstood, or for AAA if MagLite ever makes an LED Solitaire. Would even sacrifice the TFO UI if Peak would actually sell more of the configurations they supposedly offer. But the good news is it seems like new companies are popping up every day, so eventually one's bound to meet our needs. The key is constantly staying tuned across all the subforums so you don't miss out on some limited production custom model or something that happens to nail it, then is gone forever!

I have wanted to see a 2AAA LED maglite for the longest time. The 2AAA is one of the most overlooked maglite's ever.

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
I went through a good few lights before I finally put money down on a Surefire. It's an E1B 110lm version that I picked up about 6 months ago and I haven't carried anything else since. I do sometimes feel like a bad boy for not carrying a backup light though, but I carry an extra battery everywhere at least.