rrt31.jpg

rrt34.jpg

1108261537966108c5aedb8901.gif

thx kn

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice pictures! :)

I can't find this new 3 XM-L at Jetbeam official site. Where did you get those pictures?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I'd rather hoped that we might go from the SST-50 to an SST-90, but in the absence of that, this is pretty cool.

I've always liked the look of the RRT-3 since it's release, but it always struck me as being larger than you really needed an SST-50 light to be - hence why I wondered if we might see an SST-90 version at some point. At least the triple XM-L makes more use of this light's size (though I'm not knocking the idea of having a [relatively speaking] small LED with a large reflector - plenty of throw for a weapon light).

Beam looks a bit naff that close to a white wall, but hopefully will look a bit more cohesive with some distance and with a real world back ground.

Jetbeam will no doubt be seeing more of my money in future!

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought they would use infinitely variable mag ring
The old one is still a good thrower compared with the new one

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now we need a single XML RRT-3. That triple is going to be more of a flood light than a thrower and I'd like a thrower. An SST-90 would also make it more floody (assuming they keep the head size the same which they did in the case of the tiple).

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Also, the beam profile isnt very nice as you can see the edges and a few triangle

My thoughts exactly.

Beam looks a bit naff that close to a white wall, but hopefully will look a bit more cohesive with some distance and with a real world back ground

I've seen cleaner implementations of triple emitter lights, where at all but the very closest distances, the output from the three emitters coalesces in to what is pretty much a single beam, with a single large round hotspot. You pretty much do have that large hotspot here, but you also have those weird lobes off to the side. Having those lobes of light to the side no doubt goes some way to explaining why the spill pattern of the bezel crenelations also seems to be so accentuated.

I still like the idea, and am still interested in it, but as far as the beam pattern goes, it's certainly not the best triple I've seen. Then again, this may just be a prototype, and if the light is released, the production version may be better in this respect.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
The design is almost the same,
Dont know whether PWM goes high or low Hz, but doesnt RRT3 suppose to be a thrower

Bass

Enlightened
Thanks for the great pictures. I tend to look at your threads, gopajti, always something new :) Thanks for your work finding and posting the info on new lights.

Nice to see JB can still make a good looking light ;)

Enlightened
Well, for comparison this is the trustfire, DRY CW, NW and WW. I wonder what is the throw of the RRT-3 triple. The design of the reflector is interesting with the 3 emitters close together and lopsided reflector near the edges. You can see that the hotspot size is nearly the same as the SST-50! It ain't a TK70 but it might throw pretty well for the size.

original.jpg

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Well, for comparison this is the trustfire, DRY CW, NW and WW. I wonder what is the throw of the RRT-3 triple. The design of the reflector is interesting with the 3 emitters close together and lopsided reflector near the edges. You can see that the hotspot size is nearly the same as the SST-50! It ain't a TK70 but it might throw pretty well for the size.
Thanks for the pic of the different beam "colours" 2100. I always find that it's something that you don't see very often which brings me to another question regarding this. Is it merely preference when people choose different beam colours or are there actually specific reasons behind it...?

Enlightened
Thanks for the pic of the different beam "colours" 2100. I always find that it's something that you don't see very often which brings me to another question regarding this. Is it merely preference when people choose different beam colours or are there actually specific reasons behind it...?
Hi,

Well first of all, i forgot to mention that the beamshots I have posted are all triple XM-L lights. First one is the Trustfire TF-3T6, 2nd-4th are DRY triple XM-L with 3 mode direct drive driver.

The general consensus is that for indoor usage, CW and NW is preferred. Some may prefer WW for lower intensity illumination, like the incans. For outdoors, NW is preferred, WW may work too in some instances, but CW is usually not preferred.
Personal preference of course plays a huge part in this as well I guess. :D

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks man :) I've always preferred CW as I feel that I can "see better" with CW than with WW. That of course is completely subjective. I have ordered some CW and NW lights recently so ill see if I maybe prefer the inbwtweener!

fl0t

Enlightened
That is a nice upgrade for the RRT-3. I wonder how does it compare with the Nitecore TM11. The Nitecore looks more portable.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a nice upgrade for the RRT-3. I wonder how does it compare with the Nitecore TM11. The Nitecore looks more portable.

Hmm... interesting.

The nitecore has 4 x 18650 side by side. I imagine it's not that comfortable to hold for a long time, like my FM elephant II body. It does appear to be shorter though.