Help with first serious light

Tiggercat

Enlightened
I have played with some Pelican, Brinkman, and Rock River lights, but decided to step up my game. After losing my work light (3xAAA Brinkman LED), I started browsing CPF. I joined today, and I can tell this is going to be bad. I already have a 4Sevens Mini 123 R5 and a 4Sevens Mini AA2 R5 on order. :shakehead

I'm looking for the next level up in size and performance, and am really considering either the 4Sevens Quark 123(2) Turbo R5 or the Zebralight S60w. I like decent throw with some flood; definitely not all flood. I was considering the Quark AA2 Tactical as I have a good supply of eneloops, but it seems the real bang comes with 123 or Li-Ion.

I have read the reviews, and they both look good. Can anyone help me make up my mind one way or the other, or (gasp), make another suggestion?

Napalm

Enlightened
I'm patiently waiting until you stock up on 2xAA and come back to ask about 4xAA...

Nap. :devil:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm patiently waiting until you stock up on 2xAA and come back to ask about 4xAA...

Nap. :devil:

:lolsign:

I'm looking for the next level up in size and performance, and am really considering either the 4Sevens Quark 123(2) Turbo R5 or the Zebralight S60w. I like decent throw with some flood; definitely not all flood. I was considering the Quark AA2 Tactical as I have a good supply of eneloops, but it seems the real bang comes with 123 or Li-Ion.

First off, your screwed. Just empty your wallet now :sssh:.

Ok onto the lights. If you want decent throw with some flood, forget the SC60. Don't get me wrong, it is one of my favorite lights but it is a flood light like the 4sevens minis you purchased (though it is brighter with a much better UI).

If you want a decent throwing 2AA light, check out the Deerelight Javelin, EagleTac P100A2, or quark Turbo 2AA.

Next, you don't need Lithium Ion cells to get powerfull lights. some examples:

Zebralight SC51 - single AA with as much output as most any single cr123a light.

Sunwayman M40A XML (4 AA batteries) - out throws ALL single 18650 lights and has more output too (and its only 5.75" long). It even has more throw than my X10 (not by much though).

Fenix TK41 (8 AA cells)- Very close to all the 2 18650 thrower lights in output and throw.

Fenix TK70 (4 D cells) - brightest farthest throwing mass produced LED light made.

As you can see there is no reason to venture into lithium Ion cells if you don't want to. There are many great lights that use Eneloops or other sized NiMh cells.

If you want to get into lithium ion cells, well then you have MANY more choices but they are not all brighter or farther throwing.

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you dont mind the size, Non-lithium lights are fine
But lithium-powered lights do save you more space
I believe theres far more li-ion bright-thrower than AAs

swan

Banned
Single 18650 li ion might be the way to go,more compact,great run times. Most can deliver 450 -750 lumens in a 5"-6" light.

uknewbie

Banned
Can anyone help me make up my mind one way or the other, or (gasp), make another suggestion?

:welcome:

Big old "it depends" I am afraid!

How far do you want it to throw? Bear in mind some all flood lights still throw pretty far due to sheer output. I have an Elektrolumens Firesword, which is complete flood but can light things up pretty far away! :eek:

Also, what size do you want? The SC60 you mentioned is very compact, probably smaller than the light you lost.

I find it hard when people ask about a good all rounder not to suggest the Zebralight SC600. Pretty good at almost everything.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a sunwayman V20C/Jappimp RRT-21 with infinitely variable output
These lights have better surface treatment, simpler UI, moderate to long throw, compact, durable

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

And like what some said, you are screwed! I can already foresee you getting a few more lights before the end of this year. LOL!

I would recommend an SC600 from Zebralight. It's a powerhouse in a compact package and uses the most beloved 18650 battery format here in CPF. User interface needs a bit of getting used to but I am sure you would eventually.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I would recommend an SC600 from Zebralight. It's a powerhouse in a compact package and uses the most beloved 18650 battery format here in CPF. User interface needs a bit of getting used to but I am sure you would eventually.

+2

Pay the extra and instead of the SC60 get the SC600, I'm not sure of how much throw you want but the SC600 will throw up to 140 meters.

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Thank you for all the replies! I had a feeling someone was going to bring up the SC600. The Sunwayman V20C looks good as well, although reading about that led me to the Armytek Predator OP, which looks fantastic (and of course is even more expensive). I can see why people have so many lights!

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all the replies! I had a feeling someone was going to bring up the SC600. The Sunwayman V20C looks good as well, although reading about that led me to the Armytek Predator OP, which looks fantastic (and of course is even more expensive). I can see why people have so many lights!
CPF members will always be pleasant to drag peoples into the flashlight trap:crackup:
Congratz! Your addiction to flashlight have began! :twothumbs

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive told myself to stop buying surefire after the E2e
Because i thought: If i want a led light, why the heck do i need surefire
Now i couldnt resist in finding a L1 for the design...
If i can ever afford it, i wouldve go for M3LT,UB3T,M6LT etc.
Even though if you can manage to get away from SF, theres other devils
Sunwaym@n makes economic but hefty, thick-bodied light, "magnetic-ring"ed
Jetpimp makes thrower and so call their "mil-spec", but a bit over-priced
Fenix makes AA High-output lights

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Received the Quark Mini AA2 R5 today - wonderful little light! Looks perfect for putting in an organizer in my wife's glovebox. Guess I need to buy something else, since I'm "giving this one away". :naughty:

Napalm

Enlightened
Tiggercat, this is like drugs, no matter how high you get with the current one, next time you'll need something stronger, so sooner or later you'll end up with an Olight SR91 or Fenix Tk70. Resistance is futile, so here's my advice: get one of those now and skip spending on intermediate stuff.

After that we can continue the discussion in the HID forum :devil:

Nap.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiggercat, this is like drugs, no matter how high you get with the current one, next time you'll need something stronger, so sooner or later you'll end up with an Olight SR91 or Fenix Tk70. Resistance is futile, so here's my advice: get one of those now and skip spending on intermediate stuff.

After that we can continue the discussion in the HID forum :devil:

Nap.

Couldnt resist the want for a high-powered light so my wallet bleeds again for a 50W HID...
Tragedy for a flashaholic.......