Mag Reflector Throw in a smaller package?

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am after a reflector for use with an XM-L that has similar throw to a mag's stock reflector, but in a smaller package.

I have some of the 18mmx12mm DX OP reflectors but I don't currently have XM-Ls on Stars to test them with (I have some 16mm XM-Ls but the reflector touches the solder points when it's sitting low enough and being made from aluminium this is not good.)

I have looked at BOOM-MC-S reflectors. How do these compare? Actually what are they made from - plastic or metal? Oddly enough I can't seem to find that information though it's probably right in front of me somwhere....

I also saw some tests ahortion did with MC-E emitters but I am unsure how these would apply to XM-Ls. Plus the threads 3 years old now.

I'm just after good throw in a small as possible package. The housing size will be based around the reflector.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

- Matt

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK seen as I am not getting any bites I should maybe ask a different question. Reflector or lens for small profile throw? I have no real experience with either...

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet....I think I read somewhere about some optics Cutter sell (ledil brand) that might be the go.Thanks for the reply.

richpalm

Banned
Boom MS-S reflectors will throw but not enough to satisfy throw junkies. In two triple XML Mags that I did, I used them. Nice soft, big hotspot with nice flood. I love them! They are plated plastic though FYI. I'm praying they don't melt...

Rich

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the datasheet of the BOOM-MC series:

Reflector is made of aluminium coated PC (120 degrees of Celcius / 248 degrees of Fahrenheit) with protective lacquer (110 degrees of Celcius / 230 degrees of Fahrenheit).

I think I'll use a combination of different Eva optics to achieve a good mix of everything. A long throw, medium throw and a flooder lens. I'm trying to light up everything directly in front of me at all (reasonable) ranges after all.