Spotting Deer.

rbramski

Newly Enlightened
A buddy and I like to take a ride through the fields where we are going to hunt in the fall and look at the deer and take pictures. I have been using my Malkoff 6D Maglite and he has been using a 2 million candle power Brinkmann spotlight. This seems like are best combo so far. I have used my Jet Beam 3M, Streamlight TL-3, and a cheap 1 million candle power light, but they don't seem as good. I was looking to find one more light that will really reach out and light them up. I have been looking at the Stanley HID Spotlight. I have $125 to spend. No Aspherics. Any Suggestions?

blub

Enlightened
I have a suggestion, check local laws on spotting deer at night, especially in Lake Almanor Kalifornia, a buddy and I were fined $350 each for doing the same thing, I got a new 1 MCP light and was just testing it, weapons were unloaded and locked in cases in the back of the truck when four wardens came out of the dark and wrote us up,:eek: they wanted to consficate our guns and arrest us even though we weren't hunting, just playing with the light, luckily there was one warden who believed us and gave our guns back and talked the others out of taking us to jail, 2, 30.06, 2, .22s, 1, .44, 1, .357 and one 9mm, it would have been a very expensive night. The judge didn't believe us when we went to court though and imposed the fine, :mad: I'm guessing it was to pay for the CDF plane and OT for the wardens they had flying around trying to catch us. :thumbsdow We watched that plane circling us for an hour and wondered what he was doing! :thinking:DUH!!! If you do it, don't carry weapons. Anyway, Olight M3X would work great.

Last edited:

rbramski

Newly Enlightened
We do it this time of year on our piece of property. No weapons except cameras. My buddy who goes with me is the dispatcher at our local p.d. Also it is legal in N.Y. to spotlight with no weapons in the vehicle.

00Moonshine

Newly Enlightened
To answer your question I've used several HID spotlights for night hunting. The drawbacks are the size/weight, and the 3-5 second ramp up time for the HID to reach full power. What has worked better for me are 3xCR123 throwers like the SF M3LT and a Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L. Although both are above your stated budget, by once, cry once, and the Hound Dog isn't too far above your budget. Either are good for 200 yards of well lit critter spotting.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Use the Eagletac M3C4. I have this light. It's great for spotting. I can see well over 200 yards with it. I Run it on 4 surefire 123's, it also can take 2 18650. Great light!!

fishx65

Enlightened
We shine a lot at my northern Michigan cabin during legal hours. HIDs are the way to go. I run two of the Power on Board's. They are really heavy but I modded one by taking the huge battery out and hard wiring a car coil cord in. These are super light without the battery. They make any halogen spotlight look dim. I also just got really lucky and ran across a leftover Stanley HID at a local Wally for 10 bucks. The Stanley should be much easier to hold out the truck window because of the handle design.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
Same here in Indiana, if your spotting and have just a BB gun your in deep.

That is only true if you are inside the vehicle. There are a few exceptions, one being if you have a valid permit, you can carry a handgun. You can spotlight as long as guns are unloaded and cased, the vehicle is parked, and you are outside of it. Coyotes are pretty active here at times, so we spotlight and shoot them often throughout the year on our property. Just not from inside/on vehicles. I have close friends who are IN DNR officers, had one verbally reprimand us when we were culling coyotes on the quads a few summers ago.

From IN DNR website-

Can I hunt from my vehicle or boat

Animals and birds may not be hunted from, by, or with the aid of any motor-driven conveyance (vehicle or boat) except by authorized persons with a disabilities hunting permit; to check traps that are lawfully set and maintained; to hunt waterfowl from a motorboat if the boat is beached, resting at anchor, tied to a stationary object, or otherwise without motion except as provided by wind, water current or hand-operated oars or paddles; or to hunt any animal (except furbearers) from a motorboat, provided the boat is not under power derived from the motor. It is illegal to hunt furbearers from any boat. It is illegal to ride an off-road vehicle with a loaded firearm unless permitted with a valid concealed carry permit. If you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, the firearm must be encased or made inoperative with a trigger lock. Additionally, it is illegal to spotlight any wild animal from a vehicle while possessing any firearm, bow, or crossbow.

rbramski

Newly Enlightened
I lucked out. While checking craigslist a guy had a stanley HID not the compact one for 20 bucks never opened. He got one for his son and daughter for christmas " Must be a Flashaholic". The daughter thought it was too heavy. Her loss. Thanks for the info guys. I am going to take a look at the Eagletac, because now I have enough to buy something else.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Onuris, Check the Indiana Criminal Code agian. I copied and pasted it below. You may not use a spotlight in or out of a vehicle. I have had some concerns here with the new high powered LED's and I think some people may find themselvs in hot water over game laws like this. (The second sentence here is the killer) I would not walk out of the woods after Deer hunting with a 300+ lumen light here in Indaiana if I had a gun with me. There was not much of an issue when hunters had a Minimag with them but something like a TK35 on turbo?

Spotlighting: It is illegal to shine a spotlight, searchlight or other artificial light for the purpose of taking, attempting to take or assisting another person to take a deer, or to shine such a light while in possession of a firearm, bow or crossbow.
It also is illegal for a person to deliberately cast a spotlight or other artificial light from a motor vehicle if in possession of a loaded firearm, bow and arrow or crossbow.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
We do it this time of year on our piece of property. No weapons except cameras. My buddy who goes with me is the dispatcher at our local p.d. Also it is legal in N.Y. to spotlight with no weapons in the vehicle.

Keep on track guys. OP is not discussing using spotlights with firearms present.

Bill

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it ironic that it's ok to shoot a deer but shine a light on them and boy will the rangers get on your back.

DM51

Flashaholic
Laws covering the spotlighting/lamping of wild animals vary widely from one state to another and (more obviously) between different countries. A practice that is legal in one place may be highy illegal elsewhere and could attract stiff penalties. Members would be well advised to bear this in mind and find out what the law says BEFORE using their lights in this way.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
Onuris, Check the Indiana Criminal Code agian. I copied and pasted it below. You may not use a spotlight in or out of a vehicle. I have had some concerns here with the new high powered LED's and I think some people may find themselvs in hot water over game laws like this. (The second sentence here is the killer) I would not walk out of the woods after Deer hunting with a 300+ lumen light here in Indaiana if I had a gun with me. There was not much of an issue when hunters had a Minimag with them but something like a TK35 on turbo?

Spotlighting: It is illegal to shine a spotlight, searchlight or other artificial light for the purpose of taking, attempting to take or assisting another person to take a deer, or to shine such a light while in possession of a firearm, bow or crossbow.
It also is illegal for a person to deliberately cast a spotlight or other artificial light from a motor vehicle if in possession of a loaded firearm, bow and arrow or crossbow.

I had a lengthy conversation with my DNR friends again about this just this past weekend. I live on 147 acres of mostly wooded land. If on my own property, outside of my vehicle, guns unloaded, cased and/or locked inside my vehicle, except my carry handgun, they would not cite me. If in my vehicle spotlighting, no firearms other than carry handgun, they would not cite me. Now if I was on my quad with a loaded rifle, and a spotlight, would be in trouble. Is perfectly legal to spotlight and shoot coyotes any time I want to on my own property. Just not from a vehicle. We do it quite often off shooting bench, bait them in with rabbits and electronic calls. Sometimes on foot as well. In fact were shooting them with one of my DNR friends and another who is a county Sheriff's deputy a few weekends ago. Favorite rig is my Don Geraci custom .22-250- Nesika action, Jewell trigger, Kreiger barrel, McMillan Tooley MBR stock, US Optics SN-3 3.2-17X scope. Have an Olight SR90 mounted on a tabletop tripod to spot them with, as is way too bulky to mount on gun.

Basically, it boils down to intent of the law, situation, opportunity, and zoning. For example, using the Indiana Code that you posted-

I have an Indiana lifetime carry permit. If I was in town, carrying my .45, and was shining my light on street signs to find my way somewhere, am I breaking the law? No, because it only applies to land that is zoned for hunting, eg. state land, agriculture, etc. And no reasonable person would believe that my intent was to spotlight deer in the middle of town.

Back on topic of OP. Perhaps consider a ThruNight Catapult. May be able to find one used in your price range.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
A buddy and I like to take a ride through the fields where we are going to hunt in the fall and look at the deer and take pictures. I have been using my Malkoff 6D Maglite and he has been using a 2 million candle power Brinkmann spotlight. This seems like are best combo so far. I have used my Jet Beam 3M, Streamlight TL-3, and a cheap 1 million candle power light, but they don't seem as good. I was looking to find one more light that will really reach out and light them up. I have been looking at the Stanley HID Spotlight. I have $125 to spend. No Aspherics. Any Suggestions?

I have read the first post and do not see the poster rbramski wanting to know about the laws for spotting deer. He would like a recomendation for a light to use to spot deer.
I think an Olight M31 would work great for 250 yards.

rbramski

Newly Enlightened
+2 The Stanley H.I.D. is really nice, but it does not throw as far as I thought it would. Still probably going to get something better soon. How would the Olight M31 compare to a 4sevens Maelstrom. The Olight is a beautiful looking light.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the M31 has a perfect color and shaped beam. It feels great in the hand as well. The only downside is it is too long for pocket carry. I carry mine on my belt.
I also own a Malestrom X10. That is a good light too. It probably has 75% of the coverage you would get with the M31. The plus for the X 10 is it fits in your jacket pocket. It's a little fat for pants pocket carry but can be done.
I think the old fashioned spotlights are too bulky now. I have a 2 million candlepower Q beam that can I never use anymore. It can't compete with the other lights. I have no experience with the Stanley you mention.