UV Curing Light

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I searched for an old thread on this but could find none. Here's what I have:

689a2eb5.jpg

4c6e53de.jpg

This one came from a friend who is an orthodontist in town. The gun ring was broken off, but a short piece of 2" aluminum pipe Sch 40 took care of that - J B Weld Quick secures the new ring to the base arm.

Quite a few of these are listed online at used dental suppliers, some as low as $35.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Interesting, got me searching ebay, there seems to be a number of options not just dental but UV nail dryers and replacement tubes.
Remember your eye protection when using these light sources.
Norm

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Interesting, got me searching ebay, there seems to be a number of options not just dental but UV nail dryers and replacement tubes.
Remember your eye protection when using these light sources.
Norm

Norm,

I believe that something workable could be made using the UV halogen bulb that's located just behind the wand in the gun. The bulbs run about $25 USD on a number of sites. A 12 volt transformer would be needed & an inline dimmer would be really handy. The bulb would have a lot of side spill making eye protection even more important. And they burn hot so some type of handle would have to be devised to hold the bulb. $50 would build a nice one & sounds like a good project for Will Q :)

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'm OK for a UV light source, we had the dog at the groomer the other day, they said they were closing down, I made a cheap offer on this light, which they gladly accepted. I also have a Peak 3 LED UV 375nm from this group buy Nichia, Fox Group and RS UV LED compare and review

70333049.jpg

No frequency on the package, similar lights are also on ebay.

Norm

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The biggest difference in a purpose built UV curing light is the intense lumen output produced by the 75 watt MR16 halogen bulb. Depending on the time of day & latitude, sunlight emits only 300 - 600 µW/cm² of UV. A dental curing light concentrates the lumen output of the UV halogen bulb and produces an intensity of 500mW/cm². The dental curing light is approximately 1000 times brighter than sunlight in the UV portion of the spectrum, which is why the cure time is so short.

Also, found a lower price on the identical UV bulb at quite a few online stores. BulbConnection.com has them for $11.89 each. http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewEquipment/bcrw/eit/328/item.html

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Nice score!

Quite a few of these are listed online at used dental suppliers, some as low as $35.

$35!!! :eek: Damn I wish a deal like that was around back then!

Here's my $600+ UV curing light. :devil:

Albeit it doesn't work as nice as the application specific dental units but I only use it for Norland & it works nice & fast.

(I'm not a Mule/fllood fan but this is one of my all time most favorite looking hosts & I just had to use it for something)
Img_8582.jpg

Img_3968.jpg

Img_3976.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Very nice McG Mule :)

Killer holster as well. It is certainly made by AOTH, but I'm not so sure what the skin is ... Stingray?

Thanks Barry.

Yes, it is blue stingray. I don't wear this one much because the scales damage easy. For my EDC, a Ti PD-"K", I rotate between elephant skin & shark skin. The elephant skin is my favorite. Mine are a bit different than what most people have, I had Matt make mine with belt loops rather than the standard belt clips. That way there's no chance of loosing them.

Img_3979.jpg

Img_3990.jpg

Bianca

Newly Enlightened
LEDs are directional lights which means that when you look at an LED light most of the light shines out of the top of the bulb with very little escaping out the sides. This makes for a very bright light directly behind the LED. The advantage to this is that the bulb does not need any reflective lenses to direct light and they are much brighter to vehicles directly behind the rider. Trust me when I say that if you want to be seen at night with a blinking tail light LEDs are the way to go. The other obvious advantage to LEDs is the energy efficiency.