Quark 2x123 R5 vs. S2 output/runtime and 4Sevens ratings confusion

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Quark 2x123 S2 over the R5 because I wanted longer run time (200lm for 2.8hr vs. 230lm for 1.8hr) and was willing to sacrifice a little output to get it. but this was before I started reading about specifics.

Question #1:
If the Quark 123x2 circuitry drives the emitter at 990ma on max for both the R5 and S2 heads why does the S2 emitter have lower output and longer runtime (200lm for 2.8hr) vs the higher output and less runtime of the R5 (230lm for 1.8hr)? From what I read from doing a search on the subject, the S2 emitters are supposed to be brighter?

Which leads to question #2:
2:How did/does 4Sevens measure and post their output/runtime specs? I know they now use ANSI but were both the R5 and S2 models ANSI rated (i.e. max output recorded at 3min)?
2.a: Within ANSI ratings, is it true 4Sevens posts their runtime specs down to %50 rather than down to ANSI %10 (%50 preferred IMO)? It seems this way when comparing charts like selfbuilts to the published 4Sevens runtime specs.
2.b: From what output quantity is the terminal runtime percentage measured from? %10 or %50 of startup output or is it measured from %10/50 of output at ANSI standard 3mins?

Thanks.

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
thanks tre.
I just wish manufactures would post OTF output/runtime graphs! I am tired of this snapshot info crap ratings give. I hope selfbuilt will test the 2x123 XPG-R5 and S2 models. Ti-force tested a 2x123 S2 along with the new Quark 2x123 X but didn't use standard CR123A cells. I just want some straight info.

What are the exactly are the ANSI testing standards? There is not much in the way of straight answers when I search.

Which lights on 4Sevens's website are rated with ANSI and which are pre-ANSI?

Furthermore what exactly were the so called "old standards" some people referred to in the link posted?

So the 2x123 S2 runtime is only shown to be longer because it is timed down to %10 (which I think is ANSI right)? Does anyone know what %50 would be?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Quark with an XPG R5 or before is not ANSI rated. Those were rated by measuring OTF lumens immediatly after turning on the light. Output goes down on nearly all lights starting the second you turn it on (due to heat) so those ratings are higher than ANSI (which measures OTF lumens after 3 minutes).

All quark S2 measurements were taken using ANSI standards. As far as I know none of the 4sevens Maelstroms were measured using ANSI standards. It is unclear how the new XML quarks were measured but it looks like they measured the output at the point AFTER the thermal regulation stopped lowering the output (which looks to be at about 5 minutes so those may not be measured using ANSI standards). It is actually less in 4sevens favor rating the new XML quarks the way the did but more fair to the consumer as you can expect that output as the bare minimum.

Run time is measured down to 10% of initial output (ANSI) but I believe they used alkaline cells for that. The use of alkaline cells would account for the lower run times on the ANSI rated lights (assuming they did use alkaline cells).

Last edited:

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
Interesting and clarifying. Thank you tre!

When you say "10% of initial output (ANSI)" do you mean 10% output at startup or 10% output at 3mins (the ANSI standard)?

4Sevens, I think I read, is in the consumer assuring spirit of posting more conservative specs while delivering above and beyond them; so would you say 4Sevens's non-ANSI rated runtimes are measured down to 50% output?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say "10% of initial output (ANSI)" do you mean 10% output at startup or 10% output at 3mins (the ANSI standard)?

actually neither. ANSI standard run time measurements are the time it takes for light output to reach 10% of the output that was measured at 30 seconds (I know, confusing)

4Sevens, I think I read, is in the consumer assuring spirit of posting more conservative specs while delivering above and beyond them; so would you say 4Sevens's non-ANSI rated runtimes are measured down to 50% output?

They used 50% on the Pre-ANSI standard measured lights. That was the "CPF standard". In reality, the run time difference bewteen the 10% or 50% of initial output is nearly nothing in a fully regulated light such as a quark.

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
[/QUOTE]In reality, the run time difference bewteen the 10% or 50% of initial output is nearly nothing in a fully regulated light such as a quark.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have noticed on graphs that for these 2x123 lithium Quarks once they drop in output, they drop fast. It would seem then that the S2 emitter actually does increase some runtime over the R5 if the time between 50% and 10% of output at 30sec is typically negligible. I say this since there in nearly an 1hrs difference.

Also (and I am done I promise), I found some info by Ti-force that would suggest the R5 Quarks 2x123 were measured for maximum out put at about 3mins like the ANSI standard. What do you make of this?

Using 2 4Sevens Lithium Primaries he shows:
1sec---260.6lm
30sec---241.2lm
1min---238.8lm
2min---236.4lm
3min---235.2lm

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Beamshots-and-OTF-numbers)&highlight=Ti-force