Rexford Tools 580 Just a super expensive Skilhunt Defier X1?

liquidsix

Enlightened
The subject's all in the thread title.

Seems to me the 580 is just a Defier X1 painted blue and they're charging $80 more for that. Am I missing something?

P.S. If this is the wrong forum I apologize, it's just that they're both LED based lights.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upon comparing the two lights...

Skilhunt's most likely an OEM for Rexford. I mean, damn, the only thing different between the two is the color of the exposed copper heatsink and the logo on the body.

digitalerik

Banned
What's worse is that on their website some of the pricing goes up to 250 dollars!@#$% for the same light!@#$ Price gouging makes me mad...

digitalerik

Banned
Hrm...looks like earlier posts were deleted. Perhaps because they're advertising here? Anyway. I'm sure they'll get that kind of money from someone as they'll google the light and come up with nothing, thus rexford can make up whatever price they want for the light. Hopefully people aren't that stupid. But they were playing with the price gouging as they show multiple prices on their website, then finally bringing it down to 180!!!!#$ http://www.rexfordtools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RTC-X580-DLX

But hey, they even throw in a free tshirt. Oh boy.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing new about what Wrexford is doing, I've been to local gun shows and found all manner of lights priced far above MSRP with the rejoiner; "I can do better than the sticker price!" Which means "I'll take MAYBE 10% off sticker"....

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Folks. Might I propose a deep breath and a modest infusion of calm to this thread. The product in question does appear to be a repackaged Skilhunt Defier X1 at a substantially elevated price. I don't understand the accusation of price gouging, however, as Rexford Tools seems to be offering four different packages with differing components (one, for instance, contains two 18650 batteries). Perhaps I missed something. It is possible that the company is offering poor value but I don't see any initial evidence of malfeasance or dishonesty. Also, the implication that CPF was censoring threads out of consideration of advertisers seems quite premature. I have not noted any proclivity of the moderators to do this in the past and see no need to let the allegation stand without comment.

For my part I will merely choose not to purchase the product.

techtoolsupply.com

Newly Enlightened
We sell the entire line of Rexford products including the RTC-X580 flashlight. It is definitely the same as the Skilhunt X1 other than the obvious blue heat sink and blue button.

Rexford Tools website pricing shows "MSRP" (Manf Suggested Retail Price). Typically manufacturers inflate this price for a couple of reasons. Perceived value of the item, along with allowing resellers the ability to sell for whatever they want. No reseller ever sells at MSRP. A couple weeks ago we had this item on sale for $99 with a Free T-Shirt. I'm not sure what other Rexford Resellers are selling the item at, but I'm pretty sure it is nowhere near MSRP.

I realize the members of CPF have their thumb on the pulse of the flashlight world. You all understand how much OEMing happens in the flashlight industry more than anyone. I don't think Rexford is trying to fool anyone, more sell their own version of a flashlight customized with their own flare.

Not trying to defend anyone, but overall, we've had great success with Rexford products.

liquidsix

Enlightened
No reseller ever sells at MSRP.

Really? I rarely see stuff priced below MSRP. Of course I usually only ever pay attention to really well advertised MSRPs (outside of the flashlight world) and everyone typically sells at that price give or take a dollar.

So it's good to know that you can get it at a reasonable price somewhere, and they just have an inflated MSRP that has little baring on what the resellers will offer.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? I rarely see stuff priced below MSRP. Of course I usually only ever pay attention to really well advertised MSRPs (outside of the flashlight world) and everyone typically sells at that price give or take a dollar.

My experience has been that outside of Apple and other tightly controlled dealer products, most items sell below MSRP. In fact I've rarely paid MSRP for anything unless demand outstripped availability.

digitalerik

Banned
Folks. Might I propose a deep breath and a modest infusion of calm to this thread. The product in question does appear to be a repackaged Skilhunt Defier X1 at a substantially elevated price. I don't understand the accusation of price gouging

Perhaps it was another thread about rexford tools and skilhunt, which I can't seem to find on this site anymore. How can you not understand gouging? Shall I say price inflation? MSRP on the skilhunt was about 99 dollars. It's interesting to hear the spin from these two posters. Certainly we can all choose to not buy the item. What gets me going is the fact that these companies aren't happy making an honest profit. Seems like no one is these days. Then they have the gull to advertise here....Even with two 18650 batteries, 200 dollars is a little absurd. 18650 batteries can be had for 10 dollars a piece.

Last edited:

cuervoblur

Newly Enlightened
Great discussion going here. It's like my retail management class all over again.

IMO many Mfg's do not want you to buy directly from them anyway. Instead of the Mfg. sending out 1000 products to 1000 different people who are going to call back 1000 times with questions and complaints, the Mfg's work with distributors to be the front line troops when dealing with the buying public.

The Mfg's sends one shipment of 1000 items to the distributor and then it's the distributors responsibility to handle the 1000 individual customers. The distributors prices are based on requirements from the Mfg's as far as the highest price and lowest price they can advertise. But usually they are free to sell the item at prices that the market will bear.

MSRP is like the sticker price on a car or truck. Rarely does anyone ever pay sticker price, unless you are a compulsive early adopter. Also try to buy a car directly from GM and see how far that gets you. :naughty:

Last edited:

digitalerik

Banned
..and most dealers won't stoop that low. In the flashlight business they usually stick a tad below the suggested retail price. No one is talking about buying from the manufacturer directly. In this case, rexford was given free reign to price these lights as they saw fit. Other markets are different. In the firearms world, the manufacturer has a set price that dealers are not to go below in the pricing of their firearms. In the case of Sig, I know a dealer that was selling the firearms well below the price of competitors. Sig eventually told the dealer to stop, or risk being terminated as a dealer of their products. The dealer decided to stop selling Sig products as he wanted to sell them at a cost below his competitors and could not. Business ethics is what we are talking about, and sadly in this case, rexford tools could not care less about offering an affordable product and retaining a large number of customers based on their affordable offerings.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for noticing & pointing this out guys. Now people can make an informed decision either way. I know at least one guy here was excited about Abe's refinishing lx2's, adding their logo, & charging $100 more for them, so maybe that alone will be worth the premium to someone here as well. Much less with the accessories.

Folks. Might I propose a deep breath and a modest infusion of calm to this thread. The product in question does appear to be a repackaged Skilhunt Defier X1 at a substantially elevated price. I don't understand the accusation of price gouging

Perhaps it was another thread about rexford tools and skilhunt, which I can't seem to find on this site anymore. How can you not understand gouging? Shall I say price inflation? MSRP on the skilhunt was about 99 dollars. It's interesting to hear the spin from these two posters. Certainly we can all choose to not buy the item. What gets me going is the fact that these companies aren't happy making an honest profit. Seems like no one is these days. Then they have the gull to advertise here....Even with two 18650 batteries, 200 dollars is a little absurd. 18650 batteries can be had for 10 dollars a piece.

Yeah price inflation is definitely better, because at least that way we're not accusing them of anything criminal (price gouging is when you do it with food, fuel, or medicine etc. during emergencies)!

Sorry Rexford OUR BAD.

:eek:

cuervoblur

Newly Enlightened
In the firearms world, the manufacturer has a set price that dealers are not to go below in the pricing of their firearms. In the case of Sig, I know a dealer that was selling the firearms well below the price of competitors. Sig eventually told the dealer to stop, or risk being terminated as a dealer of their products. The dealer decided to stop selling Sig products as he wanted to sell them at a cost below his competitors and could not.

SIG must police MAP pricing (minimum advertised price) and good for them. If someone is trying to under cut the competition SIG does not want them doing it at the expense of their brand name.