What happened to Jetbeam BK 135a?

davecroft

Enlightened
It's nearly payday again and I am getting ready to tick another light off my list and order a Jetbeam. After intensive research on this site I really fancied the BK135a - interesting finish, and even more interesting UI.

But I can find only 2 suppliers in the whole world who seem to have any stock! Apparently it has been replaced by the PA01, a similar looking light (except for camo) but with much simpler UI.

Forum posts indicate the BK135a was only introduced around August 2010 so it has only had a 1 year life. Is it normal for flashlight manufacturers to replace their models so quickly, or is there something wrong with BK135a? I don't really want to waste time and money ordering from China if the thing is going to be a chocolate teapot.

I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, the only reason to buy the BK-135a would be if your looking for the extremely thin form factor (17mm) in a AA light with a clicky, that also has the highly versatile functionality of the I.B.S interface.

Those were the 3 factors that were most important for me when I was looking for a AA EDC, and this seemed to be the only AA light that had all 3 of those.

Is it perfect? Of course not. A few folks have had the I.B.S mode stick at one level, and at least one CPF member took it apart and found that the LED is mounted directly on a stainless steel support plate (part of the SS collar), not the best heat sink. And, it has to make you wonder why Jetbeam replaced this model with PA 01 so quickly.

In any case, there are MANY less expensive alternatives that offer excellent functionality and reliability. I decided to take a chance on this light because it fit my 3 most important criteria, slender, has a clicky, and a UI that let's ME pick which level I start in.

So far it's been in my pocket every day (and night) for a couple of months and has performed flawlessly. We'll just have to see how works over the long haul.

Personally, I'd love to hear from some owners who have had the light for a while.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the camo pattern, I wish that more light were offered with that finish..

yowzer

Enlightened
The BK135 was only made for something like 6 months, which is a shame. I really like the one I have. Nice and small, interesting anodizing pattern, good output and beam, and IBS makes a a reverse clicky cycling through modes a much nicer UI than it normally is. My only complaint is that something in the head rattles when I shake it.

I don't think they've released any new IBS lights since, either. My impression of Jetbeam lately is that they're moving towards lower end lights, with simpler, less complicated internals (with the exception of the RRT line).

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine also. I love the thin form factor, the camo finish, and the IBS interface [three programmable levels] is great. It goes quite low and very high. I run all my lights on rechargeables, and I find that the 1.2v from an eneloop is a bit on the low side for full performance, so I use PowerGenix nickle-zinc rechargeables. They run at about 1.6v, they are like high-octane gas for a car, and work really well.

The BK135a is a great EDC, the beam really lights up a whole area very well.

fyrstormer

Banned
I had one for a short time. It wasn't the greatest light. Electronic multi-mode is kind of a pain unless it has last-mode memory (IMO), and the finish wasn't as strong as single-color HA3, and perhaps the biggest problem is the button was too small. I have fairly narrow fingers (for a guy), and I can reach in and grab things other people can't get close to, but I had a hard time pressing the button on that light. I sold it quickly.

I prefer the E3S, honestly. It has a bare-metal finish so there's no coating to chip off, and the switch is easy to push, and the two-mode mechanical interface is simple yet effective.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine. The camo is unique and the thinner form factor makes me think of the Nitecore EZAA. I like the I.B.S. but just wish the minimum setting was sublumen instead of 2-4 lumens.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love it for its slim form factor with a clicky. Programmable modes (IBS) is icing on the cake.

bk135a.jpg

davecroft

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses. I'm still tempted - even more so as it could possibly become a collector's item!

Thanks Slashman - only Flashaholics and KaiDomain have the BK135a - I have some issues with Flashaholics which I won't go into here, but I would prefer not to order from them again if poss. KaiDomain are about 15% cheaper as well (not much of a saving but every bit helps!)

Locomoco

Newly Enlightened
Dave, the only reason to buy the BK-135a would be if your looking for the extremely thin form factor (17mm) in a AA light with a clicky, that also has the highly versatile functionality of the I.B.S interface.

Those were the 3 factors that were most important for me when I was looking for a AA EDC, and this seemed to be the only AA light that had all 3 of those.

Is it perfect? Of course not. A few folks have had the I.B.S mode stick at one level, and at least one CPF member took it apart and found that the LED is mounted directly on a stainless steel support plate (part of the SS collar), not the best heat sink. And, it has to make you wonder why Jetbeam replaced this model with PA 01 so quickly.

In any case, there are MANY less expensive alternatives that offer excellent functionality and reliability. I decided to take a chance on this light because it fit my 3 most important criteria, slender, has a clicky, and a UI that let's ME pick which level I start in.

So far it's been in my pocket every day (and night) for a couple of months and has performed flawlessly. We'll just have to see how works over the long haul.

Personally, I'd love to hear from some owners who have had the light for a while.

I bought this light shortly after it came out. I really like it but it's not perfect by all means.

First the Good:
The reasons I bought this was for the programmable features (I like it at low/med/high or 6/28/135 lumens), the slim design, and the ability to use regular AA batteries. I've taken this thing on two international trips to SE asia. Places where there are frequent brown outs and black outs at night in rural areas. I've used this as my primary light source to read at night because I haven't felt like sleeping at 7pm. LOL.

I kept thinking, when am I going to change the battery? This thing is so effecient at using battery power, I've found that at some point you lose the highest setting or it switches to low/med/med and keeps on going. So as a light for use in emergencies it's great.

But for the Bad:
They say this light is waterproof. I took a dip into the pacific ocean with it and came back from my last trip to find salt crystal deposits bouncing around in the reflector. So some of the seals were not too good. The little metal ring that came with the light so you can use it on a keychain or whatever, the holes are too close to one another and I found it impossible to attach the ring. All I did was a good job gouging the finish. I contacted Jetbeam about fixing the light and the customer service was non-existent. I gave up after 3 e-mails with no replies.

I love this light, even if the seals are compromised, it's my main EDC light. But I probably will never buy another Jetbeam product again.

tam17

Enlightened
Now when BK135A is long discontinued, I wish I had one. With its advanced UI and formidable lumen power in a small 1xAA package, it's a testament to craftsmanship of Jetbeam as it once was. I do own PA01, which is a nice EDC light, but it's just not the real thing.

Cheers

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now when BK135A is long discontinued, I wish I had one. With its advanced UI and formidable lumen power in a small 1xAA package, it's a testament to craftsmanship of Jetbeam as it once was. I do own PA01, which is a nice EDC light, but it's just not the real thing.

Cheers

I have a BK135A. Beautiful light... junky construction. After running for 5 minutes on high with a regular AA cell, the light overheated and fried the driver. I sent it back for warranty repair. Got it back 3 months later... but no more IBS interface. They put in PA01 driver. Lame.

A much better modern light is the Eagletac D25A clicky. Same size as the PA01, but has a slightly bigger reflector and is much much brighter. If you get the XM-L version and run it on IMR 14500s it will output over 700 lumens. But can only be run in short bursts at that setting due to heat buildup.