Advice Needed: Air Travel with Olight SR 90 in checked baggage

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen,

I have read everything on this site so far about flying with flashlights on you, but still couldn't find an answer, so forgive me if this is a double post. Per my situation, I will be flying internationally in 2 days and pretty much need to take the big SR 90 Intimidator with me, but I have some worries
olightsr90intimidator2_thumb.jpg

Now I know you're generally fine taking lights with you as carry on, but given the sheer size and that fact that it also comes in a bulky aluminum carry case, I feel light i might have trouble being let to pass with this light, seeing how it might be construed as a weapon.

My next logical choice is to put in in checked baggage but I'm worried about the rule saying that you cannot carry spare lithium ion batteries in checked luggage, only in carry on. Now as you know, when packed inside aluminum case it comes with, the light and the battery are packed in separate compartments. Will the battery pack be considered a spare battery even though they only way it will fit inside the factory case is disassembled? Or should I just leave the case at home, screw on the battery pack to the light so it considered an installed battery and wrap it in clothes inside my checked baggage? I really don't want to find out it's been confiscated when I reach my destination, so do I have any options?

*for those that don't know what the layout inside the carry case looks like, I've attached a picture of it

Thank you in advance for your advice

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what has happened to me. I had things stolen from checked luggage. Put the flashlight and charger in your carry-on. Most European countries use 220v. Will your charger handle that voltage? If not... leave it home.

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
Charger will be fine; it is rated 110-240V. What I am worried about is the interpretation of its size If I carry it on :( tx for the tip however

mmace1

Enlightened
No-one is *that* uptight about checked luggage. The battery pack would be fine. I think too few know of that rule for it to ever be enforced, even when it is fully applicable.

My concern as another said with checked luggage- would be theft. If in that situation...I think I'd probably take it in my carry on, but leave the case at home. The case looks too much like something a sniper in a movie would use, and thus would make people more likely to view it as a weapon. Plus...gah, I wouldn't want to be lugging that bulky case around overseas! (unless it were a gift of course).

Just out of curiosity, and if it's not prying - why are you taking it with you on an international trip?

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I travel internationally with my job. My idea of a vacation is staying at home for a few days.:)

I had a similar concern a few days ago with a SureFire UB3T. I went to Mexico, wanted to take the light and decided against it. I was afraid the Federales or the Army (both do airport security) might confiscate it for looking like a weapon. I only had carry on luggage. I have had minor items lifted for looking like a tool before and they are polite but you are out on a limb trying to argue your case with the clock running down before departure.

I sure wouldn't put a good light in checked baggage again, it will disappear from my experience. I had an Inova T2 vanish from a checked bag a while back with a TSA inspection note left behind. Don't know if it looked like a pipe bomb on x-ray or what.

It is technically legal in the U.S. as you said to put a light with installed lithium batteries in checked luggage. You just can't put the light in a checked bag with the batteries removed and 'loose':

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
Get yourself a nice pelican case & put locks on it and take it as carryon. Guaranteed it will get stolen from checked luggage.

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
@nmace1-I own property in a wooded area about 2 hours from any nearby city in NE Poland, really a great place to spend a weekend to relax; there's nothing more comforting that owning a light especially come night time with all the wild animals running around-since owning a gun is five fold more difficult in Europe than the US, a flashlight is the next best thing. I also forgot to mention that that battery pack has a cap that screws over the terminal where it mates to the light head when dis-installed. Do you guys think this would this be considered adequate isolation of battery terminals even if it would show up as as a "loose" battery on the check baggage x ray?
I guess I was not as worried about theft when posting this topic, as just being being technically able to transport it. I've traveled with a metal detector before and that made to my destination so I'm using experience as encouragement, but then again, you never know until you get burned.
@ DisrupTer911- where can i find such a pelican case? I would be open to carry it on, even w/out the stock briefcase, but even then I'm worried about its sheer size and the security guys thinking i could assemble it on the plane as a club and use it. Even if I do get it beyond security at my departure airport, my flight connects in Frankfurt, Germany, and if some german security officer doesn't like what he sees and needs to confiscate it, I will be out of options in terms of mailing it to myself and handing it to the person that dropped me off at the airport for safe keeping till my return.
Decisions, decisions :(

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
I had no issues taking a SR91 to Panama in a checked bag back in March. However I did not use the case.

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
birderbill,
By not taking the case I assume you thus packed the light assembled (screwed on to the battery pack) or did you still pack it disassembled with the battery pack "loose" ?
Thanks

stp

Newly Enlightened
@nmace1-I own property in a wooded area about 2 hours from any nearby city in NE Poland...

As a citizen of Poland I have to ask about more detailed localization :) (just out of curiosity) Mazury? Glad You enjoy weekends here :)

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
So as I sit here in the terminal typing this waiting to board, kinda curios what i'll find at the other end when i pick up my bag. I'm really dreading that "fist through the wall" experience if the light comes up missing:eek: I'll keep you posted

@ stp: A bit more inland, Buzdiska actually :) Definitelly a great place to forget about the world...

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the late replay...I packed the light (intact) in a shortened cardboard mailing tube. I labled the tube with a big Sharpie.

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
So, looks like it has made it to the other end. Pretty happy right now :)

stp

Newly Enlightened
Gratz! I suggest a toast with local (to you now) beer from "Kormoran" brewery, from heavy/ masculine to lite: "Miodne", "Orkiszowe z miodem", "Wisnia w piwie" :) You REALLY should try them all if you didn't yet - and it's something much less known then our vodka ;-) Have fun.

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
correction *Budziska
I will give all of them a shot, maybe in close succession ;) One of these beers I am familiar with.

Birderbill, tx for the advice. I ended up taking mine assembled without a case, wrapped in a hoodie/sweater, then had it placed between some clothes in a space saver bag, and vacuumed. As far as I could tell, the bag wasn't even looked at inside.

stp

Newly Enlightened
You was close enough to recognize the name before correction :)

If you left batteries screwed in and plan to going back the same way I would suggest leaving some warning note on the switch just in case (or cover additionally the glass). Nobody deserves direct hit to the eye by surprise from flashlight like this - even TSA kind of guy :) They see it on an x-ray for sure and next time they may be more curious.

Last edited:

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
@ DisrupTer911- where can i find such a pelican case? I would be open to carry it on, even w/out the stock briefcase, but even then I'm worried about its sheer size and the security guys thinking i could assemble it on the plane as a club and use it. Even if I do get it beyond security at my departure airport, my flight connects in Frankfurt, Germany, and if some german security officer doesn't like what he sees and needs to confiscate it, I will be out of options in terms of mailing it to myself and handing it to the person that dropped me off at the airport for safe keeping till my return.
Decisions, decisions :(

B&H Photo carries them at great prices.
Amazon, other sites too.

IMO if you can clearly tell what it is they won't bother you.

Deal4

Enlightened
I have a similar question. I am a missionary going back to Indonesia. Our family has been back in the US for 9 months, and I am returning to Indonesia with a number of flashlights. I have a number for myself as well as a bunch for friends. When I went there the first time I only had a couple cheap lights.
Any recommendations?