Glowing Gandalf staff

nukeiridium

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am looking to make a prop for my Halloween costume. I want to find a tree with some little gnarly roots on the end to make a Gandalf staff. I want to bore a hole from the top straight down and insert batteries and a light of some kind, then put a crystal-like rock on top to simulate the glowing rock Gandalf uses for light in Moria.

Now, any suggestions as to how to set this up? I can't drill a big enough hole for anything larger than AA's or so. I am thinking maybe an LED light, because I want to have enough runtime to keep the light on while taking the kids trick-or-treating.

Any ideas would be welcome. I already have a perfect rock... It is actually a chunk of waste from a glass plant but it looks like a chunk of crystal or quartz. I have not found a good-looking staff yet either, any ideas? I was thinking a dead sapling or something but I'm not sure what kind of tree. Pine roots dont look right so far. Thanks for any ideas you might post...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll suggest a DB400 with 6 or 8 AA batteries in series along with a 1 watt LS or 10 overdriven nichias or 20 normal driven nichias. I think you should go the nichia way because you won't have to bother about heat. Best to drive 20 of em at spec.

Negeltu

Enlightened
I would just use 2 or 3 6000mcd white leds. I have lit up many quartz clusters and points... and I find 1 does fine. Use 3 if ya want and drive them at rated current. Position them right at the base of the crystal or glass...pointing straight up through it.