jetbeam RRT-1 R5 throw light or ?

Tony1446

Newly Enlightened
Hi y'all im looking for a new throw light for under 150.00 running 18650. Im looking at a RRT-1 R5. For the price range dose anyone have any other suggestions Im wanting a good quality light I have some ultrafire lights and I like them but build quality isn't the best if anyone has suggestions please feel free to change my mind lol I like the interface of the rrt-1 and from looking on youtube they have a good beam.

Rancid Badger

Newly Enlightened
I've just received an RRT-1 R5 to use as a gun light & it does have a good throw - sufficiently good for my needs, but nothing exceptional in my opinion.

The other light which was suggested to me was an Olight M3X, which I discounted as I thought it a little large to weapon mount, but it is supposed to be a real thrower.

Another light which I've just bought is the Deft EDC - the throw on this is phenominal, but it is a little above your price range ($199).

Tony1446

Newly Enlightened
I may just have to save up alittle more cash to get what im looking for il keep the deft in mind......
anyone used a xeno g-42 i seen one the reflector looks amazing its super deep reflector I think I would go with the r5 seeing as Im looking for a throw light.

Tony1446

Newly Enlightened
I like the 18650s as long as it has a good tight beam I dont care single or duel. Im just looking for a good allaround throw light to keep in my truck.

Tony1446

Newly Enlightened
Olight M3X has a xml t6 I know that led well I have two lights with xml t6 and t5 I love them both but they work well as a flood more than a throw im just wondering if olight got the reflector figured out to tighten up the beam?

Last edited:

Tony1446

Newly Enlightened
wow that scorpion ant too bad pritty good beam for a smaller light nice throw great spill maybe Im gonna put this one down on my list with the g42 lol Im still doing my home work on the g42.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The scorpion is a good thrower for a single 18650 light (IF you get the turbo head). If you want a light with a reflector, most 2x 18650 lights have a larger reflector than single 18650 lights and will throw farther because of the larger reflector. Olight M3x, Olight SR51, EagleTac M3C4 (single XML), and the Catapult V3 all throw quite a bit farther. The measurement you are looking for is beam intensity. look for 40,000cd (or 40,000 lux @ 1 meter) or higher. Some of the XRE based lights will throw farther but have about 1/5th the output (lumens).

Last edited:

LowFlux

Enlightened
I'm just going to throw this out there because you are looking at a R5 light and not a XML. I have the RRT-1 R2 XRE and a Maelstrom G5 and of the 2 I prefer the Maelstrom. The RRT-1 has a pencil-like beam with a huge halo of spill where the Maelstrom has a larger hot spot with a more concentrated spill. The Maelstrom also has a moonlight mode (RRT-1 low is like 70 lumens?) as well as hidden beacon, SOS, strobe. The G5 will have more throw then the X7 (same body and UI but XML instead of R5). The Maelstrom has a smaller head diameter then the RRT-1 but still has excellent throw.

The only con I have to the Maelstrom is that it is easy to "crossover" modes with it's UI. You turn the head to change modes, if it's not just right you can mode change by slightly depressing the head. However the UI is very intuitive and is more robust (contact switch, no electronic parts to fail) then the magnetic control ring flashlights out there.

Also it doesn't sustain maximum brightness on 18650 as compared to 2 x CR123; and I cannot offhand think of any manufacturers who make pocket throwers optimized for 18650-only function (unless it's a multi-18650 light like the Catapult).

Last edited:

Tony1446

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking all day on and off in my free time I was looking for a smaller bin led but I just looked at the thrunight catapult v3 xm-l lol (before I seen your post LOWFLUX lol) and I dont think I can go wrong. the UI is nice the beam shots are unbelievable and the ability to go from 1 cell to 2 cell is just what im looking for. thanks you all I hope to have it in a few weeks. Thank you all for your input. Im gonna put off getting macs xml edc for this month and go for the catapult v3!.:thumbsup: have a great day CPF.