2xAA for Newbie Users

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me know if this is covered, but I didn't find a thread where tailcap switches are excluded, since that limits 90% of the lights typically recommended.

My mother is using a MiniMag LED and wants something brighter. She'd prefer a side-button or slide switch, but the twist head is OK. 2 levels is ideal, 3 would be fine. Strobe not preferred, but if I must, OK.

I think the closest-to ideal light might be the Quark MiNi 2AA.

That the head needs to be "blipped" off and on, instead of just rotated further, to switch modes, is not ideal, but it's OK.

What would be best is something like the Fenix LD25 (neutral is nice), but with a 3-position head off-low-high, instead of a two position head with a tailcap clickie.

Kills me that my favorite, the SC51 won't do the job, but their interface confuses newbies. My GF can't figure out how to turn it off - just gets stuck clicking it and having it go lo-med-hi-lo-med-hi... why won't it go off? So, a shame, but no.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac D25 A2. Twistie like the mini but has 4 brightness modes (strobe, etc are hidden like the mini).

specimen

Newly Enlightened
If I were you. I will buy this one for my mother.

Olight S35 Baton

Quality

Newly Enlightened
I know you said the SC51 won't do, but its one of your favorites. Check out the Zebralight SC5. It is a 3 mode version of the SC51 that will be released this November with an MSRP of 39$. I would link you to my thread with all the details but either the mods deleted it or the forum ate it because its gone.

I think it might be what you're looking for. The interface should be much easier to use for noobs. Here's a link. Scroll down to, "Partial List of Future Products" for details.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Fc0FfUDFVSHVNS1E&hl=en&authkey=CNqP6KIC#gid=0

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
try the quarks. they are a good 'first' light, especially now that the edc's are running XML leds. :)

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks use a tail switch, unless they have a new version...

The Olight S35 tempts me to get one for myself, but it's a little expensive and maybe even too bright (I know, sacrilege to say that). Plus, I'd like to keep the flashlight and her digital camera on interchangeable sets of 2 AAs. Cool design, though, thanks for recommending it. At least someone other than Zebra is using a dang button. For myself I'll probably get an SC600w, when/if they come out, as a next XM-L. A light-up button like the Olight is even cooler. Reminds me of the Sears lights with the Red-Yellow-Green battery indicators.

The EagleTac looks like a total toss up with the Quark MiNi. Either one might do just fine. I wish either was available in warm. Kind of a tease that 4sevens still has the links for warm and neutral editions, but nothing there. I _love_ my warm 1xAA mini. Only other thing I've been able to get with that warm a tint was a custom drop-in module.

I'm anxious to see how the Zebralight SC5 works. As long as, one way or the other, repeated button pressing results in an "off" state within a few presses, it'll probably be ideal. I'll definitely wait 'till xmas before picking one, now.