Streamlight Digital Dimmer Tailcap – any experiences please ?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
confused.gif
Has anyone any experience with this accessory ? I e-mailed Streamlight for details, but got a no-reply reply.

I'm curious about how it actually works, the flashing option, the dimmer's effect on output colour, battery run time, if it affects bulb life, and it's general usefulness, ease of operation, etc.

Also, I know it's not a mechanical fit for the Mag-Charger, but as the Streamlight SL-20X and the Mag use interchangeable batteries, (as seen on lists at many web sales sites) surely it's electrically compatible with the same kind of bulbs ?

Thanks,

Lite-lover
smile.gif
smile.gif
blush.gif
wink.gif

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
I've had one on my SL-20x for a couple months, here are a few notes:

- Push and hold button to dim, it cycles from one end to the other, then back again and again until you release the button, at which point it holds the last setting.

- You can click the Main Power to reset to full power.

- Smart Feature: With the light off, holding down the button and then pressing the main power button starts it at the lowest setting. Somewhat unwieldy though...

- Double click to start or stop full power flashing. There are no other power flashing options.

- Tail button is "chiclet" style, unsure about durability. Although it is recessed so it shouldn't hit too many things that could hurt it.

- Also worried about extra circuit board when dropped. However, I have never had a problem with the main circuit board after MANY drops onto the concrete.

- Low power problem... There is a point when the battery is low, but not super low, where the light will only function intermittently with the digital tailcap. Hitting the tailcap makes it work, at least for a few minutes, but if you turn it off and on then you have to hit it again. Replacing with the OEM cap makes it work fine. Unfortunately, I don't know where this point is, maybe the last 10-20% of usable life. This may actually be a good thing for battery recharge life. That's why I always carry a Lithium SureFire backup.

Otherwise, this has worked fine so far. It is pretty cool and the flashing light helps get attention from traffic. Kids also like to play with it. But I still always keep the OEM cap nearby...

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dennis
smile.gif
that's great.
So it only flashes on full power - Is there just one rate of flash ? How fast, like a strobe ?
And on dimming, does the light get yellower, or just less bright ?
Does it have a back-up battery, or does it come off the main battery ?
Sounds as if it's durable enough too.
Why would a circuit make it behave intermittently as you describe, I wonder.

Lite-Lover
smile.gif
cool.gif
shocked.gif
wink.gif

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Yes,

Only one rate of flash. Not a strobe, kind of a soft but quick flashing, probably to save the bulb. When it dims it gets less bright for awhile and then gets yellow at the lower end. Does that make sense? There is no extra battery, it runs off the main battery and that is probably why it has the low voltage issues. One more thing to power/increase resistance. Don't know why smacking it helps though...

It's pretty useful, but I am still not sure about long term durability with the more complicated electronics and all.

Good Luck!