Longest Throw 2 Cell AA Flashlight

ambassador

Newly Enlightened
The flashlight (not a laser) that uses only 2 AA batteries, is available off-the-shelf (i.e., not custom made), with the absolute longest throw is ... ? Price is no concern.

yowzer

Enlightened
Try to find an Eagletac P20A2 with an XR-E pill. I've also heard good things about the Dereelight Javelin.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would stand behind both of yowzer's picks. If I had to pick, I'd probably go for the Eagletac because next time I got some dough, I'd pick up another couple drop ins that would work in the same body.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
+1 for Eagletac P100A2 and the Dereelight Javelin

P100A2 can out throw the Javalin and is nearly the same when the Javelin has the 3AA extension. Also the P100A2 is superior in all aspects. I owned both and compared them side by side. The P100A2 is the absolute best 2AA thrower I tried and have yet to find another light to match it. I owned a ton like the Quark Turbo 2AA, P20A2 XP-E, Javelin 2/3AA, etc. The P100A2 will make you happy for a 2AA thrower. A 2AA can only throw so far though.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I own a Javelin and it is a great light. I have heard the P100A2 I a better light my multiple sources on here just as Animalmother stated but the Javelin is no pushover either. Good luck with your search.

kartracer77

Newly Enlightened
After reading this thread and doing some research I have to get a Dereelight Javelin (R3) along with the "C2H body and AA extender". A double AA (eneloops) or single AA (14500) P60 drop in light. Drop the C2H AA ex and use a CR123 (16340). Dereelight Javelin (R3) is rated for 4.2 volts. All for $71 shipped.

yowzer

Enlightened
The P100A2 is the absolute best 2AA thrower I tried and have yet to find another light to match it. I owned a ton like the Quark Turbo 2AA, P20A2 XP-E, Javelin 2/3AA, etc.

There's a reason I specified the XR-E version of the P20A2. I have one and had an XP-E P100A2, and the P20A2 lit up things a lot further away. The newer XP-G ones probably don't perform as well in that respect.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
There's a reason I spec
ified the XR-E version of the P20A2. I have one and had an XP-E P100A2, and the P20A2 lit up things a lot further away. The newer XP-G ones probably don't perform as well in that respect.

Did you have the P100A2 XP-E R2 bin because my P100A2 R2 can outthrow my P20A2 R2 XP-E and this is side by side compared.

yowzer

Enlightened
Did you have the P100A2 XP-E R2 bin because my P100A2 R2 can outthrow my P20A2 R2 XP-E and this is side by side compared.

I assume it was an R2 -- I don't think Eagletac has used a higher bin XP-E in the light (Does Cree even make higher bin XP-Es?). And once again, XR-E P20A2 versus XP-E P100A2. The XR-E tends to have higher lux and thus throw than the same light with a XP series emitter.

I'm also surprised at your results. The P20A2 has a bigger, deeper reflector than the P100A2, which, with the same LED, tends to result in more throw.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I assume it was an R2 -- I don't think Eagletac has used a higher bin XP-E in the light (Does Cree even make higher bin XP-Es?). And once again, XR-E P20A2 versus XP-E P100A2. The XR-E tends to have higher lux and thus throw than the same light with a XP series emitter.

I'm also surprised at your results. The P20A2 has a bigger, deeper reflector than the P100A2, which, with the same LED, tends to result in more throw.

The P100A2 has a Q3, Q4, Q5 binned XP-E emitter and the P100A2 using the R2 bin is the latest. My P100A2 and the P20A2 I had were using the XP-E R2(Mark 1). I actually overlooked that you were using XR-E for XP-E sorry about that I missed that. I never knew the P20A2 had a XR-E R2 version otherwise I would have gotten that to test out during my 2AA thrower hunt. I looked it up to see if I can find a P20A2 with a XR-E R2 but I can't find it anywhere for sale. I'd like to get my hands on one though if I can. Sounds really promising. If you know where to get the P20A2 you have with the XR-E let us know, otherwise it's a great recommended light that's unavailable so the P100A2 might be the next best thing.

Last edited:

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
News from Cree is that the new XPE now is available in R4 bin

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
News from Cree is that the new XPE now is available in R4 bin
I like to see the XP-E and XR-E get binned higher, it makes me happy. Love them beam profiles. Hope to see thme both in the R5 bin;)
Now, start putting them in some AA lights!

kartracer77

Newly Enlightened
The Dereelight Javelin comes in a XP-E (R3 bin). R3 122-130 lm @ 350mA VS R2 114-122 lm @ 350mA

yowzer are you saying that the XR-E has better throw than the XP-E at the same BIN level? I dont know so I am asking.

Last edited:

JacobJones

Enlightened
With an optic an XR-E R2 will throw further than a XP-E R2 due to the narrower beam angle meaning more light lands on the lense. I really don't know what's best when it comes to reflectors

yowzer

Enlightened
Sounds really promising. If you know where to get the P20A2 you have with the XR-E let us know, otherwise it's a great recommended light that's unavailable so the P100A2 might be the next best thing.

At least one CPF supporting dealer still has a few in stock. PM for details.