300 Lumens per Dollar LED

Curt R

Enlightened
That LED like the majority of LEDs are for Luminary applications only.
They do not work in flashlights as there is no way to focus the beam
pattern.

Curt

Harold_B

Enlightened
Specmanship at its best. 300lm/$ with output ranging from a blinding 16 to 120 lumens. Did I get that right? No actual 300 lumen device?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Specmanship at its best. 300lm/$ with output ranging from a blinding 16 to 120 lumens. Did I get that right? No actual 300 lumen device?

I don't see a problem here. Many many companies are designing products around lumens per dollar so if this company is at the top(and I'm not saying they are) then they should shout about it.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not really any cheaper than a company buying XM-L's in bulk 5-10K pcs and maybe paying $3-4 per emitter.

Harold_B

Enlightened
saabluster - I understand your point. My contention with lumens per dollar specs are that the dollar value is not fixed (lumens per watt therefore is more appropriate), and that it is misleading when then the spec implies a high output product that doesn't exist. Specmanship is already an issue that gets used in marketing. Testing at 85C vs 25C, pulsed vs constant current, color separation specs or lack there of, etc.

The LEDs in the link are likely just fine for a lot of applications. Perhaps not so much for a flashlight, but I have modeled or designed with equivalents in A19 replacement bulbs, back lighting applications, edge lighting applications, and indicators. I would imagine it is a tough market segment with companies like Nichia as your competition.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
please let me know what you guys think

I'm thinking there are several locations in the literature where specifications conflict, but I'm not surprised.

There are plenty of applications where you don't need high performance Cree's, Rebels, Osram's, Bridgelux, etc. However, what you sacrifice is color value, accurate specifications, and of course - efficiency.

ledguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys I think the Vf kills my application since 6 Volts needs about 4 batteries in series.