Dr Jekell

Enlightened
This is a 1 x AA battery LED flashlight and retails for approx $80

Photo 0004 by Dr Jekell, on Flickr

Some stats from Kathmandu:

LED: XP-E Q3 Cree
Water resistance: IPX4
Weight: 88g (including batteries)

Overall the packaging is nothing spectacular but that is not a big problem (actually getting the light out of the package is)

Photo 0001 by Dr Jekell, on Flickr

The all of the instructions & information for the light are on the package, you can also see the accessories included with the light, in the next photos.

Information:

Photo 0003 by Dr Jekell, on Flickr

Instructions:

Photo 0002 by Dr Jekell, on Flickr

Accessories included in the package is a run of the mill, generic wrist strap & one Duracell battery.

I have emailed the company to find out if it will work with Lithium &/or Enloop batteries & I will let you know what I find out.

The light itself has a similar design to the Nitecore Defender Infinity light. It has semi aggressive knurling & an attempt at an anti roll device. The build quality to my best guess is some where between M@g and Fenix levels but should hold up to most use.

Photo 0005 by Dr Jekell, on Flickr

The tail cap is shrouded & is not able to tail stand. The switch is a forward clicky with three modes (high, low & SOS) that are accessed sequentially by using the switch. They come with bright orange boots (switch covers).

The switch takes a bit of force to actuate which should help to reduce accidental activations.

The ones on the left & middle:

Photo 0018 by Dr Jekell, on Flickr

The light fits nicely in hand & is not excessively long like some single AA cell lights.

Photo 0022 by Dr Jekell, on Flickr

The packaging claims that this light gives out up to 65 lumen's (high mode) with a 1.5 hour run-time and up to 20 lumen's (low mode) with a 6 hour run-time. As for the lumen's claims, by my best guestamate these claims seem to hold water.

The beam is a mixture of throw & flood leaning more towards throw & does have a few artifacts in the beam but nothing too major. The tint to my untrained eye leans more towards a high CRI than cool white.

Unfortunately I am unable to do any beam shots.

I have been using this light for several days & I am more than happy with it. To me this light would make a nice EDC or gift.

Last edited by a moderator:

AusKipper

Enlightened
I walk into Kathmandu, look at the prices and go "they must be joking?"

To me, it looks like you are proving the point some more. $80 for a 1xAA flashlight that does not equal the quality of Fenix?

I think i'll pass :)

Thanks for the review though.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED: XP-E Q3 Cree

Huh? The packaging in one of the photos says XP-C.

I checked out the manufacturer's webpage and found the product page;
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Hiking_&_Daywalking/Lighting/61148/Hand_Torch_Sabre_65.html

It appears that they simply copied and pasted the descriptions from another light that they have listed;
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Hiking_&_Daywalking/Lighting/61149/Hand_Torch_Sabre_80_Zoom.html

I have emailed the company to find out if it will work with Lithium &/or Enloop batteries & I will let you know what I find out.

If it can take 1.5V alkaline, then it can most certainly take 1.5V lithium and NiMH.

Also... MSRP of almost NZD$80? That's almost USD$65. Honestly, I'd rather take a Quark AA for that amount.

But, still, if it does use XP-C, it would have a beastly throw for its size.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
The prices for Summit club members are much better:

NZ - $48
Au - $36
UK - £20

Which are much more reasonable seeing as here in NZ at least, the "best & brightest" in lights sold in most stores is "LED Lenser" lights with an average retail of ~$99 (don't get me started on the prices of some items here, let's just say Leatherman wave ~NZ$300).

My thoughts are that the light would be a great starter EDC or make a good gift for someone.

I recently brought a Mag Led 2xAA light (for NZ$46 on clearance) & this light blows it away on UI, lumen's, output colour & size.

Enomosiki - some lights rely on alkaline batteries to function correctly (Some LED Lenser lights for example or shower head lights).

So untill told otherwise I will use alkaline batteries in it. If Kathmandu tells me that they will accept lithium & Enloops at least I have recourse if they turn out to be wrong.

AusKipper - Sorry this is my first proper review of a light. The following updated statement bellow might make things clearer

From what I have seen so far with my limited testing, build quality is between M@g and Fenix levels leaning more towards the Fenix side, but should hold up to most use.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually an Ultrafire A10B or an Trustfire S-A2...both thee run at about 15 dollars!

guess the brandname is all the money!

AusKipper

Enlightened
actually an Ultrafire A10B or an Trustfire S-A2...both thee run at about 15 dollars!

guess the brandname is all the money!

Ultrafire A10B is an 18650 not AA light from my googling.

Trustfire S-A2 looks like it is exactly the same light. As with all Kathmandu stuff, I believe your paying 3x money just for the badge.

Nice pick up kosPap.

davecroft

Enlightened
I'm not sure I would want to buy from a site which advertised two different lights (Sabre 80 and Sabre 65) but just did a copy and paste of the descriptions. That's really sloppy.

Also, as kosPap has spotted, this light is a rebranded Trustfire S-A2 - $12.60 at Dealextreme! Why on earth would you give even $35.99 (discounted price) for it?? If I was the OP I would ask Kathmandu for an explanation (not that I suppose he would get one). Then get a refund and buy the Trustfire intead. Or better still a Fenix LD10 or Jetbeam BA10.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will suggest manafont for the S-A2. I recieved mine with an XPE emitter from them...but there are lights with XPC emmitersw too..

And I will put a big thumps up for the BA10...excellent buy! especially for the non-flashaholic (fewer modes to mess with)