Jetbeam Jet III M will there be more throw between smooth and op reflector?.

busseguy

Enlightened
I just got a jetbeam jet III M with the orange peel reflector, and I wondered if it would be worth getting the smooth reflector for it?.

Will the smooth reflector give it noticeably more throw?.

On my jetbeam jet I pro V3 it did give noticeable difference in throw so I am hoping it will on the jet III M.

Thanks in advance..

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will certainly give a bit more lux in the hotspot, whether or not it'll be noticeable is hard to say. It probably will be more noticeable on higher levels than on lower levels. Jetbeam's are awfully ringy with smooth reflectors though. With a light that's as throwy as most Jetbeams are, unless you're really looking for a dedicated thrower, I prefer the OP reflectors in them. If you want a truly dedicated thrower in a small form factor, look into a Dereelight Javelin.

busseguy

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response.

Another question I forgot to ask is about batteries.

I have 2 CR123 surefire batteries in there now, but if I get either 2 RCR123 or a single 18650 in it. Will it be noticeably brighter as well?.

Thanks..

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
I would say that unless you can compare the different batteries in different jet III M you probably will not see any difference.
just my 0.02

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it does throw more. If you have the R2 or the R5 version and have been a good boy this year, I know someone who has a smooth reflector that does not need it anymore. However if you have the new XM-L version I can't help you.

I didn't notice any difference in brightness on mine with different battery types.

Bill

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, can't help ya. I sold my Jet III M R2 earlier this year with the orange peel reflector to a non-flashaholic so I kept the smooth one. Thought I might be able to use it again but Jet says they redesigned the reflector for the XM-L. I wouldn't buy one again though. There is a little more throw but the beam is no where near as nice, and the little bit of extra throw is just noticible.

Bill

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smooth reflector is the only way to go with Jetbeam. I have the XML Jetbeam III M and the beam is actually nice. There are some rings, but I go for performance over a pretty looking beam.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking, the smooth reflector has more throw.
However, you must test both Jet IIIM's back to back in order to determine.
Selfbuilt tested the R2 versions a while back, and he came to the conclusion that there was no difference in throw, and that we may as well get the OP for a cleaner beam.
All depends on case by case situation. Never just assume, and never just make theoretical assumptions.
Only someone who owns both types of reflectors can tell.

As for batteries, with disposable primaries, the light starts off at maximum brightness, then as the battery really depletes the maximum brightness falls progressively - so you can tell when the battery is about to get flat.
On rechargeables, the brightness stays constantly at maximum till the very end - then the battery falls flat all of a sudden, with no prior warning.
This is due to the rechargeable's higher voltage characteristics...

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking, the smooth reflector has more throw.
However, you must test both Jet IIIM's back to back in order to determine.
Selfbuilt tested the R2 versions a while back, and he came to the conclusion that there was no difference in throw, and that we may as well get the OP for a cleaner beam.
All depends on case by case situation. Never just assume, and never just make theoretical assumptions.
Only someone who owns both types of reflectors can tell.

This was my experience with my Pro ST... I tried it with both the smooth and OP reflectors, and didn't really notice a difference, except that the ringiness was much worse with the smooth reflector. Size and intensity of the hotspot wasn't changed from what I could see by eye. What I did see was that the spill area became much more uniform (still some slight ringing), and more usable as a result. Even for dedicated throwers, I prefer OP reflectors because they make the beam more useable in my opinion.