Quark 123 R5 vs. Neutron 1C

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
I am about to buy one of these lights, but don't know which one to get. My wife has a 1C, and I really like it. I really like the UI, and the Quark is the same, so these are my options. The only thing I don't like about the 1C is the reverse clicky. I also like tailstand ability, so I can purchase the Quark Turbo Flat Tailcap and put it on the Quark 123 to give me both tailstand and forward clicky. Now, I just need to know how the output of the Quark 123 compares to the Neutron 1C. I really don't want to sacrifice much brightness for the forward clicky. Is it that noticeable of a difference between the two? I am not familiar with the R5 at all, and the only XML experience I have is the 1C, and so far I like it. I would love to know what someone who has seen both has to say about it.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not get a quark X 2AA with a spare 123 body and spare forward clicky tailcap? Then you would have your ideal light with an XML.

saypat

Enlightened
I always wanted the 1C, still do. Great UI, great modes, great XM-L. BUT I just could not purchase a light that had so many complaints about it, and the manufacturer wouldn't address them. If your wifes works great count yourself fortunate. I was going to get the Quark 123 R5 as well, then they started putting the XM-L in theirs, but sadly only the 2 cell lights. My search continues. Those beams on the 1C, 1AA, wow! Love em. Get the Quark and trade off with the Mrs.

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
Why not get a quark X 2AA with a spare 123 body and spare forward clicky tailcap? Then you would have your ideal light with an XML.

Hmmmm, interesting idea. Any idea how that would perform compared to the 1C?

I always wanted the 1C, still do. Great UI, great modes, great XM-L. BUT I just could not purchase a light that had so many complaints about it, and the manufacturer wouldn't address them. If your wifes works great count yourself fortunate. I was going to get the Quark 123 R5 as well, then they started putting the XM-L in theirs, but sadly only the 2 cell lights. My search continues. Those beams on the 1C, 1AA, wow! Love em. Get the Quark and trade off with the Mrs.

I didn't see as many bad comments as you, and I'm glad that the one we got seems to be good. If it's hit and miss with the Thrunites, maybe I don't want to chance another one coming and not being up to par. So I still need to find out how the Quark performance is going to compare to the 1C. Especially the one configuration mentioned above by tre.

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I think I am going to do the recommendation of the Quark AA^2 with a spare 123 body. But I am assuming that I will get close to the same output on a RCR123 as I will with 2 AA batteries, and I am not sure that I am assuming correctly. Does anyone know what to expect with this setup for output and runtime on a single RCR123?