Replacement lens for Thrunite Scorpion turbohead?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Anyone know where I can get a replacement lens for the Thrunite scorpion turbohead? It doessn't have to be the lens - I guess I just need a piece of 38mm diameter glass. Thrunite wants $35 US + shipping which seems steep not to mention I don't recall any "trauma" to the original so it seems fragile.

For what its worth shortly after I got it and shinning it underwater (about 6" deep) I noticed there was water inside the reflector area. To the scorpions credit it didn't seem to affect the emittor which was able to shine right thru the water. (Of course I turned it off as soon as I saw it.) When I took the stike bezel off I saw how the water got in - the glass underneath the strike bezel for about 30% the OD was "crunched away." This picture shows it now months later after the 30% has expanded and cracks have gone all the way across.

101_1714.jpg

101_1709.jpg

I don't suppose I could get a glass cutter to cut a perfect circle?

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
I agree, $35 is outrageous!!! Send a email to the dealer you bought it from and let them deal with Thrunight, most of the BIG Brand company's wouldnt charge you half that if anything!! $35 WOW, Ive heard it all now..

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
go to flashlightlens.com

Thanks - I just sent them a text. It looks like I'm not the only one that got a turbohead with a cracked lens. (I posted the same pictures but with different content in that thread that is appears Norm is referring to - sorry about the double picture!)
$35 for a lens that may come cracked or cracks easily is ecspecially bad!

Incidently I've never loved and hated a light as much as the scorpion! :)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Luck on getting your lens. I had a 37.5mm X 3mm.
Thanks - I just sent them a text. It looks like I'm not the only one that got a turbohead with a cracked lens. (I posted the same pictures but with different content in that thread that is appears Norm is referring to - sorry about the double picture!)
$35 for a lens that may come cracked or cracks easily is ecspecially bad!

Incidently I've never loved and hated a light as much as the scorpion! :)

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Good Luck on getting your lens. I had a 37.5mm X 3mm.

Are you saying you saying the turbohead lens should be 37.5 mm diameter? When I said 38mm I couldn't really measure my old lens as its too shattered and 38 mm seemed like it would be a tight fit. I was wondering if I should make it a bit smaller so it wouldn't be an issue getting it in.

Were you able to get a 37.5X3 from flashlight lens.com?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No...I don't know what size your lens is. I was saying that I had a 37.5mm X 3mm lens. Good Luck.
Are you saying you saying the turbohead lens should be 37.5 mm diameter? When I said 38mm I couldn't really measure my old lens as its too shattered and 38 mm seemed like it would be a tight fit. I was wondering if I should make it a bit smaller so it wouldn't be an issue getting it in.

Were you able to get a 37.5X3 from flashlight lens.com?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks - just saw on battery junctions website they are selling the entire turbohead for $30... that beats $35 for just the lens!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good quality lens should not crack like that. I hope they are putting in better glass lenses now. This almost reminds me of the old Wolf Eyes Raider DX lens.
Thanks - just saw on battery junctions website they are selling the entire turbohead for $30... that beats $35 for just the lens!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
are you sure they are quoting you for the lens alone or for the entire turbo head replacement?

I clearly told them what happened in a pm over on market place. That shortly after I got the light I noticed a chip around the outside covered by the bezel but lived with it. (Suspect it came that way but don't really know). It spread until all the glass cracked. They first sent me a pm to say "wait a while" but when I pushed them said $35 and added a smiley face.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Just thought I'd do a quick follow up - thrunite did say they'd send a new lens but that was a little over 2 months ago and nothing has shown up yet.

Also I was able to use a slightly smaller diameter, thinner lens from flashlight lens but that cracked as well. Makes sense as it had more pressure on it/was thinner. I do wonder though if it would help if the O ring were slightly thicker? Any one have a good source for odd size o rings?

I'm still using the light though it probably maxes at about 250 OTF lumens now as the reflector is a dull yellow color after getting wet from not having the glass in place. And hey, 250 would have been the bomb in a light this size 10 years ago!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I ordered a 35X1.85 mm lens... significantly smaller and thinner but it did work for a few weeks. I'm in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.... though I used to live in Anaheim just down the street from Carl Karcher on Clementine street! :)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 37.5mm X 3mm lens, but you need to figure a way for me to send it to you without going to the post office. Also let me know if this size will work.
I ordered a 35X1.85 mm lens... significantly smaller and thinner but it did work for a few weeks. I'm in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.... though I used to live in Anaheim just down the street from Carl Karcher on Clementine street! :)