Perfect, cheap CR123 single battery holder.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I got my V10R earlier this week, I've been on the hunt for the perfect single CR123A battery holder. I have a VersaTi pill fob/battery case, but found it's way too heavy. So I set out today to find a plastic one. Went to Big Lots and was checking out the new store to see what they had and just so happened to find this lip balm that looked like the container would be perfect.

I turned up the guts and tossed it in the trash.
photobucket-2517-1320536492017.jpg

Removed the plastic screw inside.
photobucket-2583-1320536497022.jpg

photobucket-2481-1320536500751.jpg

Popped the bottom off and trimmed where the plastic screw was. Used my Dremel to sand down one of the two ribs inside since battery wouldn't quite fit.
photobucket-2785-1320536494472.jpg

All I have left to do is glue the bottom back on. It won't be waterproof, but I would guess fairly water resistant as the cap fits on pretty tight. I might also put a piece of felt in the cap to stop rattle since the interior of the container is about 1/8" longer than the battery.
photobucket-2712-1320536490731.jpg

Best thing of all? $.80 is all it cost and it is a perfect fit.
photobucket-2270-1320536493266.jpg

photobucket-2594-1320536495801.jpg

edit: Mods, I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the battery forum since it covers any flashlight that takes a single cr123 battery, but it is a battery holder. Please move if you need to.

Last edited:

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Re: Perfect CR123A single battery holder.

County Comm has a Delrin cr123 battery locker. I bought one because I too found the versaTi too heavy for my keychain. Check it out at countycomm.com.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

County Comm has a Delrin cr123 battery locker. I bought one because I too found the versaTi too heavy for my keychain. Check it out at countycomm.com.

That looks much better than mine! Have done a search on CPF and Google and couldn't find any single CR123 battery holders. Thanks for the info- I'll order one this evening.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

I couldn't find any plastic pill fobs that would just hold a CR123 around here- went to pharmacies and drugstores- no luck.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a love-hate relationship with County Comm. I love everything they have but hate that I can't just order one thing every time I visit their site. I justify it by making the shipping worthwhile- the more I order, the more reasonable the shipping seems, since it starts @ $7.95. :)

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

I second the recommendation for Delrin case from CountyComm. I have all three models--AAA, AA and CR123A--and they are very lightweight and durable. I regularly carry spare batteries consisting of three primary CR123A, two Tenergy LiFePO4, one AW ICR123, and one AAA alkaline for my lights, and can't be more happier. I have them hanging on an A&P keyring, and I carry them around all the time along with my lights.

Sure, they may be expensive, but they are well worth the price.

yowzer

Enlightened

I can't be the only person who thinks that the perfect single battery holder is another flashlight, can I? :)

(Of course, I just made a diffuser for my MC-11 out of the cap off of a road flare, so I'm not going to knock anybody who finds a use for what would otherwise be trash.)

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened

I can understand a multi-cell battery holder, but what purpose(s) does a single cell holder serve?

Only things that come to my mind are if you're going to be in some serious water or you're storing the cell with other metallic objects that could somehow complete a circuit...

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't be the only person who thinks that the perfect single battery holder is another flashlight, can I? :)

(Of course, I just made a diffuser for my MC-11 out of the cap off of a road flare, so I'm not going to knock anybody who finds a use for what would otherwise be trash.)

I agree another flashlight would be great but the V10R is my first CR123 based light so I'd have to shell out at least 50 bucks just for a "battery holder" flashlight.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can understand a multi-cell battery holder, but what purpose(s) does a single cell holder serve?

Only things that come to my mind are if you're going to be in some serious water or you're storing the cell with other metallic objects that could somehow complete a circuit...

That's exactly it. I have a single cell flashlight I need to carry a spare battery for and as much stuff is in my pockets, that sucker would be burning in a few seconds after tossing it into said pockets.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

OCD

Enlightened

I'm sure you're not. But some people like me are minimalists. I EDC an HDS 200 and Maratac AAA. I finally found an aluminum pill fob at CVS for my spare AAA that is on my keyring. I have an aluminum pill fob in my truck that has a spare CR123. Most of the time, I'm close to my truck and the spare is available. I would not want the 123 fob on my keyring as its way too big and bulky. That being said, I can throw my 123 fob in my pocket if I'm going somewhere and it is no where near as big as another single-cell 123 light.

This is how I do it and to each is own.