3w star emitter with built in driver?

tacticalj

Newly Enlightened
Ok 1st let me say that I've searched this on the site in several ways and haven't found my answer yet, so I'm gonna ask. Sorry if its been asked or handles already.

I'm looking into modding a cheap light that I have. I found a 3w star led, which is mounted on a board and it says to have a built in regulated driver. There are some chips on it, so I'm guessing that it is good to go. Anybody use one of these and not use a separate driver with any success? It would simplify my mod as I would not have to figure out how to mount the regulator then.
Here's a link to the 3w star
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220874813577?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Here's some pics of my light that I'm thinking about using.
This was where I was intending on mounting the emitter and board.
Cheapo-4.jpg

This is the complete light, minus the incan bulb.
Cheapo-1.jpg

This is the head and the inside diameter of the threads.
Cheapo-2.jpg

This is the body and the place that I would have to mount the driver if I went seperatly
Cheapo-3.jpg

If I need to take more pics or measurements, that would not be a problem. I'm thinking that a guy can mount the emitter on the board with the built in regulator and then be able to connect the wires and supply the power from a single 18650. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Jason

Last edited:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason, that will work fine. The board you link to has two built in AMC7135 linear regulators in parallel. Each supplies 350mA so 700mA total. They don't like to drop more than about 4V each so 2 series lithium batteries is too much. 1 18650 as you plan are fine. The only disadvantage to this design is that the regulators being mounted on the same board as the led add to the heat from the led. Though, since they are all tied to the same heat sink, the flashlight body itself, and ultimately your hand, it's not a biggy.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the old Luxeon III LED. I didn't see a name brand on it but it sits pretty high compared to The new Cree LEDs.

Jeff

tacticalj

Newly Enlightened
I don't know the brand. Got it off eBay, from China or something like that. It was cheap. It was also an incandescent bulb. I ordered one of the star bulbs to try. I'm gonna have to make some mods to the light or the head to make it fit. I'll have to get some glass for the head anyhow. I got some batts coming too. Thanks, jason

tacticalj

Newly Enlightened
I thought you were talking about the flashlight itself.....I'm such a newbie! Thanks for the link though

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is easier going another way....

get a P60 dropin. The "pill" screws right in there. then get an optic. it fits over the led. glue it. then remove/unscrew the reflector. then screw the head on...

webpolicexenonledconver.jpg

Last edited: