Stuck between two for a weapon light.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am looking for a weapon light (I.E. good throw, but also enough spill to light up a good area around the target), and I have been looking at the 4Sevens Maelstrom G5, and the Quark 1232​ Turbo X. The Maelstrom has an XP-G emitter putting out 350 Lumens (per 4Seven's site). The Quark has the XM-L emitter putting out 450 Lumens (again, per 4Seven's site). I won't pretend to know what that means, which is why I come to you guys to inform me. The Maelstrom fits in a standard 1" ring, but I don't know if the Quark does. I only want to spend around $90, and I've found both for a little under that.

What would you guys suggest? Thanks!

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I've actually seen both (well, not the X model Quark, but another 123) mounted to a 12 gauge with no issues. I am not so worried about the recoil since seeing that. Thanks for the link, though! Reading through now!

ETA - I think I'll go with the Maelstrom, since it is in fact a 1" tube, and easier to mount than the Quark. Now, should I go R5 or X7? The X7 puts out more Lumens, but does the emitter affect the beam, other than power? I don't know, but if the X7 were the same as the G5, only more powerful, that would be awesome.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out nutnfancy's videos on youtube. he does a lot of flashlight reviews for lights designed to be weapon mounted and has videos of these lights in actual live fire testing.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Funny you should say that, just watched several of them. I like the way the Maelstrom performed. I can't decide on the X7 or G5, though. Is the extra power of the X7 worth $50 more than a G5???