Is the LD01 clip an after-thought vs How is the LD01 as my only compact light?

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
I dont own any small lights (all my lights are 2xAA) so Ive really been shopping around for a compact 1xAAA and the Fenix LD01 is in my top spot so far.

BUT looking at pictures it seems like the clip is out of place...or they just stuck on the first clip they found. Its not even black...

Granted I dont know what Id really use this light for, maybe attached to a keychain, maybe just clipped to my pants.

So what is the quality of its clip like? Any comments would be appreciated....

AND - Is the LD01 a good choice if I were to only buy one small light like this? The Amazon reviews and reviews here are very favorable, Id just like to make sure and get the comments from owners.

MANY thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy esrevenge, and welcome to CPF,
My SS version of the LD01 didn't come with a clip, and while the one in the photo certainly isn't all that attractive, it does look sturdy, which of course is very important if you plan on using one. Personally, I have my LD01 on my keyring.

The main difference you'll find in a lot of these 1xAAA keyring lights is the UI (user interface). The LD01 has 3 modes (low, medium, and high), and turns on in the medium mode. That's what I prefer, as that's the one I use most often for this light, but some folks prefer to have the light come on in the low or high mode first, so that's something that you should consider.

For a good look at many current 1xAAA lights, check out the photos and reviews here:
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
Hi Derek - Thanks for the fast reply and the welcome.

Thats a great site you linked to, believe me Ive spent a loooooot of time reading all about lights, the more I read and the more time I spend the less sure I am about what to get, hahhaha.

My 2nd choice is a OLight i3 EOS, but I think the Fenix has a bit better quality and fit and finish, but the i3 has an awesome looking clip.

Do people generally clip 1xAAA lights to their pants pocket, or do most people use them mostly for key chain use only?

Another thing, I just realized I would really want to get the SS version of the LD01 but as you mentioned it doesn't even have a clip at all, hahahha. Maybe back to square one...:(

SlimJim16v

Newly Enlightened
I gave up trying to fit my clip after scratching it and saw it would be near impossible to get it on without more damage to the LD01

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I know exactly how you feel. There are a LOT of lights out there to choose from. Don't be in a hurry! Relax and look around. After a week or two you'll begin to get a better feel for what you want.

The hunt is half the fun :naughty:.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
My SS LD01 had no clip, but no problem adding one and it looks much better in my opinion on the SS light than on the black. I think I got mine at 4sevens, but it looks discontinued there now. I see it listed at BatteryJunction and Amazon, and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned somewhere else in one of the Good Deals ld01 threads. Ah, there it is, Fenixgear.com - $1.50.

The SS LD01 is heavier than I like on my keychain, so I have it clipped in a pocket when it's on me, but some people find the weight perfectly acceptable.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
I'd agree that the clip looks far better on the SS version. Whereas it looks like an afterthought on the aluminum one, it looks great on SS.

Regarding function though, it works equally well on both variants, and I've found it to be quite useful.

stoli67

Enlightened
I love my aluminum LD01.... I have it with me today.

I also have a lF2XT and a Fenix PD10....

You could get away with the LD01 and rechargeable 10440 cells for most things as the light puts out a Huge amount of light with these but of course gets hot!

The SS and Ti versions I also have but the Al is the pick of the bunch fir actually using.

I have never put the clip on... Just the Fenix strap and a keyring trit.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SS has a clip, it's well made BUT it doesn't clamp the light well, the light tends to rotate or the clip can easily slid up/down. I am a clip person, particularly for small EDC lights and was largely disappointed with such lights that don't offer an efficient clip and those who offer none. And I'm tired of chromed or shiny SS clips on black lights, they don't complement each other IMHO, especially for lights that are supposedly "tactical". But my frustration ended with the discovery of Tec p-7 suspension clip, it's extremely well-made and inconspicuous.

I would classify LD01 as a Fenix favorite, if not one in the AAA category. It was my first quality AAA and I've been using it for 3 years running. The first output is in medium which is generally my most needed usage and using 10440 gives me the additional oomph. The one and only gripe I may have is that the low is not low enough. I would recommend it although there are other good ones depending on your preferences.

davecroft

Enlightened
I read somewhere else on the forums that Fenix said they did not supply a clip with the SS version because they had concerns that the clip would not securely support the weight of the heavier SS model.

I like clips because I usually wear hiking trousers which have a small inner pocket inside the map pocket on the thigh (I think it is for carrying a compass or mobile phone etc), and if I clip a light to the edge of this inner pocket I can't feel it moving around against my leg. At the moment the only light I have with a clip is the Olight i2, but I have ordered a LD01 so will see how well the clip holds up. The Olight is good to carry, small and light, but I dislike the rather loose threads which means it tends to flicker and skip modes. It suffers from battery rattle as well. But its clip is first rate!

All my Fenix lights are well made with good threads so I hope the LD01 will be the same.

Streamer

Enlightened
My SS LD01 had no clip, but no problem adding one and it looks much better in my opinion on the SS light than on the black. I think I got mine at 4sevens, but it looks discontinued there now. I see it listed at BatteryJunction and Amazon, and I'm pretty sure someone mentioned somewhere else in one of the Good Deals ld01 threads. Ah, there it is, Fenixgear.com - $1.50.

Thanks for the above info. Didn't know where to look..Made it super easy for me to order the clip for the LD01 stainless. Only a buck shipping charge.... $2.50 total shipped to the door is a winner. :)