New project: LED Candle II

charliek

Enlightened
I had so much fun with the 123-Draining Candle, I decided to make another "Lantern" type light. In the lower left shot, I have it laying on it's side- being built in a clear plastic case, it's difficult to get a good photo.
The design is based on a 4AA battery holder and 2 white Nichia LEDs, I used 47Ohm resistors and a slide switch controls them both. The diffuser is a Fuji-film canister. I cut a hole in the top of the clear container to let the film canister slip through- it serves 2 purposes- 1: it spreads the LED light pleasantly and 2: it serves to hold the battery assembly tight so it doesn't rattle in the box.
Needless to say, the Dremel tool got a good workout this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The switch and diffuser are held solid by 5minute Epoxy
(makes it weather resistant as well)

ledcandle2.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Very Nice!

I would want one...

Only I'm broke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (and have plenty of LED lights and batteries for most any emergency!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nice little emergency/camping/area light!! Steelwolf, look again, looks like 47 with a capital 'O'hm, eh?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie, it's always refreshing to see a homemade, to me it's not a show off, unless you are posting heaps of high rez SF M6 or some $$$$ HID lights picture that will make me extremely jealous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif.

Nice use of plastic case there! Recycled or sacrificed?

Vince.

charliek

Enlightened
Yes- it's 47 Ohms (should have put a space in there)
The Film canister was recycled (naturally) but I bought the plastic case ( 69 cents). The slide switch was taken from some old electronics hardware that I salvaged.
I was thinking of camping when I made the light- I usually bring a gas lantern- too big, too bright... I get tired of telling the kids "Don't touch that- it's hot!". Can't bring the gas lantern into the tent, so I wanted a long lasting white light that was weather resistant and compact.
Although- I think it would make a nice power failure light... just turn it on and leave it in a small room... like the bathroom.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoops. Yeah... 47R /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Its a beaut and real simple. I wish I could just leave well enough alone and go for a simple design like this, but I'm looking over Maxim ICs and discrete circuit designs and generally making things harder than it has to be. I'll probably have another power failure long before I finish any of my current mods.