Extreme Beam xt8 pro ranger

bassdawg

Newly Enlightened
Hi i was looking at this light an it seems like it would be ok ,but i want to know a little about Extreme beam .
Thanks ,
Bill

coconutz

Newly Enlightened
I unwittingly purchased their tac-24 a year ago and was very disappointed. They claimed it could throw 330 meters. It was obviously designed for throw as it had a small hotspot with mediocre spill. It was lucky to reach 220 yds as opposed to the claimed 330 meters. Supposedly, the light could also focus the spot with the twist of it's head. That feature was visually nonexistent. The tac had MSRP of over $300, however I was able to get it for around $170 (the xt8 can be had for $80). I'm sure you could find a light find a light that could putperform the tac-24 for under 80. Luckily, I was able to get a full refund for mine. I guess there is a reason why I've never found a review for any of the extreme beam lights.

bassdawg

Newly Enlightened
I really dont like to hear that since i ordered one . Does anyone out there have something good to say ?
Bill

bassdawg

Newly Enlightened
Well to be fair i did get the sx21 . I just want to say so far it has a nice beam an a smooth spot with no dark spots .If it stays this way i will like it but time will tell.

rocknrope

Newly Enlightened
Well to be fair i did get the sx21 . I just want to say so far it has a nice beam an a smooth spot with no dark spots .If it stays this way i will like it but time will tell.
Hello Sir
After using the sx21 for a year, could you provide any feedback on the durability and function? I tried getting one from an online optics store but they sent a discontinued model, so the order was cancelled. I then started doing a little more research and came upon this site and am now a little leery as to whether I should invest or not. So the feedback from someone that has had the opportunity to use it first hand would be awesome...

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of threads on them, this is probably the most detailed: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?332544-ExtremeBeam-do-they-claim-way-too-much

A few other threads include reviews/real-world opinions. In short they are overpriced and any claims they make shouldn't really be trusted. That said I would take back some of my original comments in that thread that they are simply re-selling exactly the same $5-15 chinese imports with a different name printed on them. As far as I know now extremebeam is actually a re-brand of the original 'Superfire' brand, so their claims of other chinese companies copying some of their models may have some merit.

Still, they are certainly not as well thought-out design and UI wise as similar priced lights and their marketing and performance claims are about as dishonest as any other company I've seen. The US flag etc on the website is a bit of a joke considering they were the original '***fire' chinese made brand, as are their prices.

Racer

Enlightened
I no longer think they are a complete scam, but certainly their marketing is deceptive at best. If you are choosing this brand over say a more well regarded brand like Nitecore or Jetbeam because of something this company claims, I would rethink that choice. If you are basing your choice on other criteria, it's probably OK with the caveat that you are most likely overpaying. So again, you're probably getting a decent product.

Most flashlight companies are dialing their rhetoric down and even giving accurate specs these days. Some of them are even *gasp* understating specs like runtime and output. My opinion is that if a company has a superior product, then they don't need to resort to wild, easily disprovable claims to sell more units. Some of these companies are realizing that the consumer is smarter than they give credit for.