How much "throw" does the H501 have?

michman

Newly Enlightened
I know the H501 is a pure flood light, and that it is best for close up work, having no formal throw per se. This said, I would like to know what is the useful range of each setting on the light.

For example:
0.3 lm is good for up to 10"
2.7 lm is good for up to 2'
15 lm is good for up to 12'
80 lm is good for up to 30'

I am just making these numbers up; so if anyone could provide a more accurate assessment, it would be greatly appreciated.

Another way of looking at it would be:
0.3 lm is good for finding stuff in a bag, not burning out your retina when you get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night...
2.7 lm is good for reading
15 lm is good for setting up camp/cooking
80 lm is good for walking a trail

Am I even close on these?

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have that light but I'm guessing that you don't want to be using it on a trail. You're other numbers are probably in the ball park. Someone who does have one will be along shortly I'm sure.

sydder

Newly Enlightened
I have one and I would say your numbers are pretty close to the truth.

Low and moonlight are good for reading and getting around in pitch black and high will light up everything out to about 20-30 feet and is fine for trail walking but I actually use it on medium which I find to be ample for trail walking and which has a much longer runtime. Also I use a 14500 in mine although I don't know if makes much difference.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
80 lm is good for walking a trail

Am I even close on these?

Low and moonlight are good for reading and getting around in pitch black and high will light up everything out to about 20-30 feet and is fine for trail walking but I actually use it on medium which I find to be ample for trail walking and which has a much longer runtime.

On the trail walking item (depending on the specific trail walking scenario), I'd say the H501 would be good for a trail that is very clearly visible or that you're very familiar with. But if it's the only light you have with you (and not carrying something additional for a bit of extra throw if needed) and you're walking in unfamiliar territory where a trail might not be clearly visible at all times, that 80 lumens of flood might not be adequate for overall safety/security. Of course, there are lots of variations on the trail walking theme, but I'd personally call the H501 more of a "familiar territory" (or clearly visible trail) headlamp even when used on the highest setting.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was out back with my H501w last night.
mine is the older version with only 3 modes, and a hidden strobe.

the low is about 2.7 lumens, and high is 80 lumens, i cant remember what the medium setting is.

i live in a fairly lit city, and theres alot of ambiente light. but from what i can see...
i would say...
low - 5 feet
medium - 10 feet.
high is 15-20 feet.

these are the distances of what is clearly lit up with my h501w.
its light travels more than 20 feet on max. but not well enough to clearly make out what i was seeing.

michman

Newly Enlightened
i was out back with my H501w last night.
mine is the older version with only 3 modes, and a hidden strobe.

the low is about 2.7 lumens, and high is 80 lumens, i cant remember what the medium setting is.

i live in a fairly lit city, and theres alot of ambiente light. but from what i can see...
i would say...
low - 5 feet
medium - 10 feet.
high is 15-20 feet.

these are the distances of what is clearly lit up with my h501w.
its light travels more than 20 feet on max. but not well enough to clearly make out what i was seeing.

Thank you kindly. This helps put things into perspective. The H501w really is an up close light. Still everyone's favourite though. I look forward to getting mine,

MarkW

Newly Enlightened
I have often used my old-version H501w packing after dark on trails in rough country. Medium works fine most of the time, but I carry a Mini AA for places where I need more reach--to find the trail, or pick the best path through brush, for example. The combination works well, and is easy on batteries--which are interchangeable.

chenko

Enlightened
I too have the older H501w, the medium setting was more then adequate to trek an unknown trail. I could even walk using low mode, but that was kind of pushing it and I felt better on med. I'm young and see well though. On max (80 lumens) I have once been able to lead a group of people in complete darkness and see 15 to 20 meters far quite well. They seemed impressed.

michman

Newly Enlightened
I too have the older H501w, the medium setting was more then adequate to trek an unknown trail. I could even walk using low mode, but that was kind of pushing it and I felt better on med. I'm young and see well though. On max (80 lumens) I have once been able to lead a group of people in complete darkness and see 15 to 20 meters far quite well. They seemed impressed.

I had no idea that the H501w was that capable! That is quite impressive.

Not to sound cartoonish, but what kind other feats of awesomeness can the H501w accomplish that would generally be considered outside what most would think possible? If that makes sense to you the reader....

The more I read about this little light the more I look forward to getting my H501w (hopefully it arrives before Christmas).

MarkW

Newly Enlightened
It works fine for night-time cross-country skiing. The snow, of course, adds a lot of reflection. I find I need to use high beam instead of medium on steep downhill trails where speed increases significantly.