IS there any flashlight brand that can rival surefire in quality and durability?

cheeman150

Newly Enlightened
Ive always heard about how surefire is the premium brand for flashlights, and how it is supposed to be the most reliable and durable of all flashlight brands. Most all it is also supposed to be the highest quality of all flashlights out there. Naturally i want to find out if there is in fact any other brands that will rival surefire in quality, durability, and reliability. Afterall surefire is charging very premium prices for their products and i must wonder if it is indeed worth it.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Just my 2 cents before Kestral closes this thread but dont know if it was covered in the above threads but besides the world renowned customer service from SF I have a FiveMega flashlight (head, body and tailcap) that is pretty high quality. Oveready also is great quality with them making there own head, bodies, drop-ins and tailcaps. Another company I believe is great quality is Elzetta which make there own head and bodies and have Malkoff drop-ins in them. Last but not least let us not forget Malkoff Devices who also makes there own head, bodies and tailcap and of course come with and support Malkoff drop-ins. As far as SF most of us flashaholics use SF bodies and most of the time we bored them out voiding their warranty plus we install the famous McClicky in our tailcaps and toss the stock emitter/light assembly for Triples, Nailbenders and Malkoffs. Almost forgot up and coming ronac with his creation of the Cryos bezel and the new M2 Cryos bezel and Stand Off Tailcap which I'm sure in no time he will also start making bodies.

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
In my opinion Surefire has set the standard for costumer service and quality. There are other brands that rival and may surpass SF in quality. However they tend to be small players compared to Surefire.
Amonf companies the size of Surefire and bigger I think few manufacturers can match Surefire in costumer service and quality.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well, I am not Kestrel, but some caution should be observed with this kind of thread. They usually get closed because members violate Rule 4 when they become overly adamant re their positions about one brand of light vs another. The OP should spend some time reading various threads re this topic. I will keep it alive unless it goes south.

Bill

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
We may never know what manufacturer has the highest quality or durability without failure rate data and independent testing.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't help but wonder if the word rival is appropriate here. Although I love my Malkoff, McGizmo, and HDS lights; and find that they perform either on par or maybe even better than Surefire, I wouldn't exactly say they rival Surefire. Maybe they compete in a certain niche, but these brands are more or less very much limited in their offerings and does not have such huge varieties to really rival Surefire. Also, Surefire has a huge team behind supporting their Customer Service. Don't forget too that Surefire is a big company, someone could always take on the role of the CEO should something happen to him. This mean that the company would continue to remain active and your lifetime warranty will still be effective. Can't say the same about HDS, McGizmo, and Malkoff. Pardon me for saying this, but if any of these 3 wonderful designers were to go, there also goes the warranty of my light I suppose? So rival? That depends on how you look at it.

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, I know my G2L can survive a 60 foot drop onto concrete. I guess I'll have to start dropping all my lights like that to see which other ones hold up...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I know my G2L can survive a 60 foot drop onto concrete. I guess I'll have to start dropping all my lights like that to see which other ones hold up...
Love to see you try it on any of your McGizmo. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

nbp

Flashaholic
You guys are goofballs. :nana:

I predict a lens failure in that case, actually.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are goofballs. :nana:

I predict a lens failure in that case, actually.
Not sure how the lens would react since sapphire is more brittle compared to glass, but I am sure the light would still work even if the lens is broken.

ico

Enlightened
Somewhere, someone will always get a dud. The customer service, as what they say, would then be your best pal

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one can be the best at everything. I own(ed) roughly 30 Surefire lights. I've had an issue here and there. Their customer service is excellent.
I've bought custom lights that also had fantastic customer support.

You need to buy the right light for your application. If you need a reliable light, you can get a G2L. Inexpensive and it will take a beating. If you're planning on running over your light with with a steamroller then I would recommend the MirageMan fatty, if you don't mind damaging your steamroller that is..

Every light and manufacturer has is pros and cons, find the right one for you.

Last edited: