Sports Authority going bye bye

TheBeam

Enlightened
A long time ago I heard The Sport Authority is merging with Gart Sports. I stopped in there today, and they said that most of their stuff is going to be shipped to the other stores. They had very few real deals, but their FLASHLIGHTS were 25% off. Most of the lights they had were by "oh, what's their name?". I walked out with a couple of Legend lx's for $15.00.

I don't know what's going on with all the other stores, you might want to check them out. The dude said this one here closes in about a month.

Mike7

Newly Enlightened
If you go into a Sports Authority, and tell the salesperson, "a couple of days ago, I got a phone call saying that I'm entitled to $10 off any purchase of $20 or more at Sports Authority," you'll almost certainly be given the $10 discount.

I did this a couple of months ago. Admittedly, I really had received such a phone call, but it's not like they checked on my claim.

At the time, the store was running a sale on Wigwam hiking socks. The merino wool/silk ones I like were marked down from $12.99 to $8.99. Bought two pairs, added a $2.25 keychain for my little niece, and wound up paying a total of just over ten bucks.

BTW, these are great socks, and even at $8.99 they're quite reasonably priced. So please don't point out that I could've bought a 12-pack of cotton crew socks at WalMart for $10.97.

But if I hadn't purchased the socks, I'd probably have gotten a Maglite or two.

As I understand it, the phone calls are still being made, and the promotion lives on.

RevDavid

Enlightened
Wow... that's a drag. They are radically different stores. The product lineup is better at Sports Authority, and the pricing is more competitive.

David <><

TheBeam

Enlightened
RevDavid, very true & very true. I used to go to Gart Sports about once a week because it was right next to where I was going anyway. I would just go to see if there was anything new, usually not. Whenever I found something I wanted, I went over to S.A., to buy it. S.A. is only about 3 blocks away. The best thing they had at my Gart was the clean bathroom. Now I'll have to go across the street from where S.A. is/was to go to GiJoes. I refuse to let a store rip me off.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the one in my area (Danvers, MA) does not go out of business. I've bought many items there from weight lifting equipment to a Legend LX.