Looking for a Replacement EDC AA Light

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a single AA light to replace my current EDC lights (Fenix LD10 R5, Nitecore D10 Tribute). My Fenix LD10 is my primary EDC with the D10 as a backup. I prefer the UI of the Fenix because it is simplier and does not require any special pressed or varying amounts of pressure to activate. I can never get my D10 to go to either the max or minimum levels without a few tries. And under any kind of stressfull situation that is NOT acceptable. I feel the UI needs to be rather simple and reliable. The Fenix LD10 is carried with the head tightened so it comes on in turbo mode. The way I see it, if I need a light in any kind of urgent situation, I will want a LOT of light. If I don't need max brightness, then there probably isn't any kind of emergency, and I'll have time to loosen the head and select the light level I want.

I want the following features and haven't been able to find a light with all of them.

- Single AA
- Clicky (forward or reverse)
- Tail Stand
- Capable of using 14500s without losing lower illumination levels
- Similar size to the Fenix LD10 or Nitecore D10
- Pocket Clip
- Simple UI (or User Programable) that doesn't require specific amounts of pressure to use

Any suggestions?

Fiskar

Newly Enlightened
Same issue on the Nitecore and you verified the UI is not User friendly to allow you quickly access the mode you want quickly. Would indicate the Sunwayman V10A, meets all your requirements and tail stands.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion on the Sunwayman V10A. I hadn't considered that one yet.

How do you think it would compare (strengths vs weaknesses & features) to the Zebralight SC51?

I just realized the Zebralight doesn't support 14500s :( bummer.

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a single AA light to replace my current EDC lights (Fenix LD10 R5, Nitecore D10 Tribute). My Fenix LD10 is my primary EDC with the D10 as a backup. I prefer the UI of the Fenix because it is simplier and does not require any special pressed or varying amounts of pressure to activate. I can never get my D10 to go to either the max or minimum levels without a few tries. And under any kind of stressfull situation that is NOT acceptable. I feel the UI needs to be rather simple and reliable. The Fenix LD10 is carried with the head tightened so it comes on in turbo mode. The way I see it, if I need a light in any kind of urgent situation, I will want a LOT of light. If I don't need max brightness, then there probably isn't any kind of emergency, and I'll have time to loosen the head and select the light level I want.

I want the following features and haven't been able to find a light with all of them.

- Single AA
- Clicky (forward or reverse)
- Tail Stand
- Capable of using 14500s without losing lower illumination levels
- Similar size to the Fenix LD10 or Nitecore D10
- Pocket Clip
- Simple UI (or User Programable) that doesn't require specific amounts of pressure to use

Any suggestions?

Use what most of us here in CPF use, a Quark AA with a 14500 cell. :)

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Does the Quark AA retain its lower modes when using a14500?

It does look like out fits all of my requirements.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak El Capitan QTC or Logan 17500 QTC with Momentary ?

Both of these will run AA or 14500 (the Logan will also run 17500, among other battery options), have simple UI (more twist = more light), and will tailstand (with the momentary switch installed). There are aftermarket clips available, though they can be hard to find right now. Yes, the momentary is not a true "clicky", but otherwise these would seem to fit your criteria.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post so please pardon me if I say something wrong.I would suggest a Jetbeam RRT0 XMLIt's a forward clicky with momentary on and a dial to adjust its brightness, can use AA, CR123, RCR123 and I believe a 14500 as well (still waiting to get mine after I finish Christmas shopping). I'm interested in what other batteries will work in it though so I can order them when I order my light.

kreisler

Banned
Use what most of us here in CPF use, a Quark AA with a 14500 cell. :)
+ 1

right now i am running some runtime tests with 1x 14500's and the XM-L T6 head (coolwhite). on Max mode, the average runtime per cell is ~55mins. I am testing now High mode. problem is, nobody knows the exact lumens level (brightness) OTF or ANSI-FL1.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Quark AA retain its lower modes when using a14500?

It does look like out fits all of my requirements.

Yup! It sure does! Moonlight is still moonlight, low is still low, High and Turbo are significantly brighter.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
THANKS AGAIN Everyone!

I've narrowed down my choices to either the Quark AA or the Sunwayman V10a.

Both are about the same size and have similar lumens and runtimes. The V10a does have a VERY NICE adjustable light level method. But the Quark is a brand I've seen lots of great reviews and comments about.

Now I know the tried and true method of BUY BOTH to this kind of decision but if I had to pick Only One...

:confused:

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
If it comes down to build quality then both Quark and Sunwayman are great choices.

My personal experience has been that Sunwayman is absolutely fantastic--in fact, some people have even compared them favorably to Surefire. Of course, the Quark ain't no slough either.

With the Sunwayman you are guaranteed to never have to worry about skipping modes, and you get instant access to the max mode. I think this is the way to go given your criteria.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I'm about ready to order a Quark AA but have a question.

The clip and position don't look like it allows for a deep pocket carry (my prefered method). It looks like it would be sticking almost half way out of my pocket. Will the "Deep Carry" Pocket Clip 4Seven offers work with the Quark AA?

Also, are the other items (difusser, fliters, etc) that I should pick up at the saame time?

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't help but notice that people continue to ignore a flashlight that (IMO) looks way better than both the Sunwayman and the Quark --> the Spark SL5.
- It has a 220 lumens super mode (correct me if I'm wrong but neither one of the other two offers this number of lumens)
- Has a great built in quality and easy UI
- Supports 14500 batteries and can reach up to 280 lumens with one of them!
- Has a great frosted lens accessory that comes with it and that smooths out the already great beam wonderfully

May be I'm missing something but isn't this one a better choice than the other two lights mentioned here ?

kreisler

Banned
Will the "Deep Carry" Pocket Clip 4Seven offers work with the Quark AA?

Also, are the other items (difusser, fliters, etc) that I should pick up at the saame time?
4sevensxml.jpg

check out the picture (hosted on imageshack) for the low riding pocket clip.

the lower pic demonstrates the Turbo FLAT tail cap (with tactical momentary on, if you have a tactical head).
Dont order too much at the same time (because of your country's customs declaration procedures and import taxes) but split the order.
Fenix LD20 diffusers (diffuser tips, diffuser lens cap) fit okay: you need to bore with the very Quark head. no problem.
And the Quark prism sells with a head band plus original diffuser lens .. i havent tested it. Maybe someone else can recommend it.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't help but notice that people continue to ignore a flashlight that (IMO) looks way better than both the Sunwayman and the Quark --> the Spark SL5.
- It has a 220 lumens super mode (correct me if I'm wrong but neither one of the other two offers this number of lumens)
- Has a great built in quality and easy UI
- Supports 14500 batteries and can reach up to 280 lumens with one of them!
- Has a great frosted lens accessory that comes with it and that smooths out the already great beam wonderfully

May be I'm missing something but isn't this one a better choice than the other two lights mentioned here ?

While the Spark SL5 looks nice overall, I noticed it has a Turbo mode that requires a double press that might be "tricky" to get right the first time. "Jtice" said in a review "At any time the light is on, double clicking the light will activate super mode. I found that double clicking at a medium speed deliberate worked best, and not a real quick double click."

That disqualifies this light for me. I don't like "tricky" interfaces on my EDC (which is also why I usually don't carry my Nitecore D10). You also have to wait for the SL5 to cycle thru the different light levels and I don't like that feature either. I prefer being able to quickly access a specific level vs. waiting for the light to slowly cycle thru them until it reaches a level I want.