Built a LED Christmas Wreath for my Jeep

walkngdude

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Two years back I put together a 12 volt wreath for the Jeep. I bought a Philips Multi-color Dome Christmas light set, I think 60 lights on a string and cut it into 5 sets of three lights in series and put a 100 ohm resistor in line (in series) in each string. Then I attached them (the strings of three lights and resistor) in parallel to a switched/fused car voltage on my front bumper.

It worked great for the most part but every year after a few days some of the lights burn out and drop off the lights in that string and every year I take the thing apart and rebuild it with the leftover lights that I saved. So this year I'm thinking of replacing the resistors with 150 ohms (maybe I could use just one?) I could jump a lot higher in resistance value but I want the lights as bright as possible so you might notice them even with the head light on.

I also notice that only green LEDs burn out and sometimes blue ones. I think this might be due to that they design them to run hotter to make the darker colors illuminate as bright as the lighter ones.

Any Ideas on this design?

Also I'm sure it is illegal to put Christmas lights on your car so I use the switch when I see a policeman.

~
Marc