Fenix PD32 review

ergotelis

Enlightened
Before almost 3 months,i was chosen by fenix to conduct testing on their new flashlight for everyday use, Fenix ​​PD32.
img0035ynx.jpg
img0034ty.jpg

As you can see in the picture, it is a testing sample, for the needs of the review.
img0033ya.jpg

Compared with other other family members of Fenix, it is definitely not the biggest or the smallest!

Features by manufacturer:

• Cree XP-G (R5) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Uses two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium) or one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion)
• 127mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
• 61-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Over heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
• Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
• Side switch in the head
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

Size-weight

The flashlight is one of the biggest compared with its other competitors, that is probably due to the presence of double switches.
Here with its main competitors:
img0014bz.jpg

Its dimensions are still satisfactory to add it to the category of "EDC". It is slightly larger than the Fenix ​​PD31.

Compared to its competitors, it is the heavier. Naturally, the larger size and weight makes us expect a more durable construction.

Design

The design is typical fenix, not something fresh or classical, I've seen more beautiful and worser designs.The company has established its own style and stands out from the rest.

Construction-glass-anodization- walls-threads
As we mentioned earlier, the larger dimensions make us expect a better construction The anodization HA III level is excellent,knurling is good, specially designed to ensure a good grip, although I would prefer it to be more aggresive, so that it sticks on my hand. The walls are fairly thick, protects well all subsystems and threads.

The glass is UCL (ultra clear lens 99% transmittance of light), The UCL layer is visible if you look the glass at a high angle.
The threads have a square design, I would say that they are as they ought to be, i like them most than any i have seen in its competitors.

Fenix after so many years of experience managed to construct the ideal design for the threads. Also, they are anodized, so if you "loosen" the head /tailcap you can avoid accidental lighting up of the flashlight.
Finally, we have mention that the flashlight is waterproof and allows sinking up to 2 feet for half an hour, I'm sure it can withstand more.It has a specification of the IPX-8. There are the classic o-ring for each contact, which for the proper maintenance should put some kind of lubricant.

Clip
Unfortunately fenix did not include the clip (obviously it is removable for anyone that does not like it). I would love to see it, it has a titanium coating, so i expect a very nice feel and design (judging by the wonderful clip of Nitecore IFE2), while being durable and won't rust. I have to add here, that at the beginning i was displeased by the fact that it seemed that the clip could be loaded only by one side. Eventually I was wrong, I do not know if they did it on purpose or by luck, but the battery tube can be mounted in both ways without problems, so you have a clip that can face in both directions! The same is not possible in PD31.

Switch-mode profile
The switches seem pretty sturdy, nice feeling, especially the mode changing switch,it is better than expected. The rear is a standard forward clicky switch, suitable for tactical use. The tailcap button is to switch on and off the flashlight and the second side switch to change levels. The flashlight stores the last level we used, so if you open it, brings us back to the level we had. A disadvantage to add unfortunately, the flashlight can not tailstand, for an edc flashlight it is very useful to use it as a candle. My guess that this is so, in order to give better feel and more responsive button. For those who prefer to use it like a candle, like me, a possible mod with a smaller rubber button might be the solution.

Levels
The flashlight has 4 levels of output light and hidden features,which are activated by a constant press of the side-switch. The levels are well spaced in terms of output, it is ideal for me, i would say. As for the hidden features, many doubt for their usefulness, but personally I think it is necessary, provided that they are relatively hidden and unobtrusive (unlike many Chinese flashlights). Fenix took care of it, the way they hide the special modes is very good. To add here, strobe mode is the most "annoying" I have seen (too fast in the beginning and then too slow), i think it is quite good, it has to be annoying in order to take notice of it.
With standard exposure to the camera, here is how the 4 levels show:

Performance-measurement-circuit-performance battery-
The flashlight can accept all the 18650 that I have, even if it's flat-top. Even the 18700 from xtar fit, the longest ones.

The body can take maximum battery width of 18,77 mm (measured with caliper) and a length of 70,6 mm, so it will fit even the largest battery. Careful,it does not accept 2 rcr123 of 3,7 V, maximum voltage is only for two cr123.

Secondly, it uses a mirror like smooth reflector, which ensures great throw for its category, while suffering a bit with a small donut hole. As far as I know, I have not seen any flashlight with xp-g/xm-l and smooth reflector that does not have a donut effect, even a little. But definitely it is not annoying, i have seen a lot worse cases.

Regarding the circuit,it is a buck regulator with a constant current regulator for all the levels, no use of PWM, thank you for that!!! No flickering of course and morever greater levels of autonomy in the lower levels. PWM is a bad but cheap solution for level output.

I measured both current and lumen output with a fully charged 18650. At the first graph we see the amperage of the levels. The second graph shows the lumen output per level, while the third one shows Fenix' official performance data plus my lux reading, measured at maximum. My readings are a bit higher than their official specs, but i think that my numbers are quite accurate.
61514247.jpg

As far as we can see, according to the amp readings, the official runtimes seem quite accurate. The only high difference between my tests and their official data is on the lowest mode.
Finally, I could have done a temperature test, to see what is the maximum temperature it can reach, but i don't find it really useful, because the flashlight has a 20 minute timer for the highest mode, to protect it.

Accessories

Unfortunately because they sent a testing sample, fenix did not include all the accessories, basically I got only a pair of cr123. However, I think it will include a holster, spare o-rings and certainly a cord for a better grip.

Conclusion- Positive/negative points - Price

The flashlight is overall very nice, fenix tried to transfer as much as they could in a specific design, to cover almost every need of a possible customer. I think they almost did it, only a few details miss to make it perfect.

Lets summarize the positive and negative flashlight points:
Positives:
High-performance, high LUX & LUMEN, very good value for money value, shows that it has very good and excellent efficient circuit.
The two-button interface inceases usability to the maximum, the performance levels are really well spaced and without PWM.
-Excellent build quality at all points,from the titanium clip to the square threads.
-Protection from overheating, in a hot environment it will prevent damage. It also provides protection against wrong battery installation.
-Nice trick for the clip to mount it in a opposite direction!

Negative:
-Relatively large size compared to the competition, but don't forget the dual switch design.
-It can not tailstand to use it as a candle.
-The Knurling had to be a bit more aggresive for even better grip.
About the price:
The price is relatively high for its category (about 70 dollars or 64 euros from Greece / Europe), although in my opinion, very reasonable. Compared to the competition, you get a better circuit controlled by 2 switches, a more rigid structure and very higher usability levels.

Some beamshots now:

40 meters from the tree, all photos have the same camera settings.

7 meters from the house, all photos have the same camera settings. I was not careful, overexposure effect destroyed the last photos.At least you can see the difference!

And now here, in this link, you can see even more beamshots. I will soon translate this round up review too, you can still read it and get some really useful information with a translator.

http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php/89432-Παρουσίαση-σύγκριση-7-1-φακών-EDC

Last edited:

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I wonder how durable the side switch is though. Sounds like a great light !

amokkos

Newly Enlightened
sweet review. Very professional !
Many thanks for the output and lux meassurements. Its the first I have found on the net.
How are you meassuring the lux and lumens ? a lightmeter for the lux meassurment but what about the lumens ?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! I bought one of these to replace a Olight T20r5 as a jacket cary light and I like it. It has a nice UI and I like the 18650 sized tube, but it does feel considerably bigger than my old PD lights. All in all though, not a bad little light.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I wonder how durable the side switch is though. Sounds like a great light !

THanks, i am not sure about that, time will tell, but it looks quite good!

sweet review. Very professional !
Many thanks for the output and lux meassurements. Its the first I have found on the net.
How are you meassuring the lux and lumens ? a lightmeter for the lux meassurment but what about the lumens ?

I use an empty white painted room. I think i am getting quite accurate measurements, i have measured so many lights and my readings seem to be just fine compared to other reviewers.
For lux readings, i am taking them in a distance of 3 meters at least. If you check the link at the end, you can see readings of other famous edc flashlights.

Thanks for the review! I bought one of these to replace a Olight T20r5 as a jacket cary light and I like it. It has a nice UI and I like the 18650 sized tube, but it does feel considerably bigger than my old PD lights. All in all though, not a bad little light.

Well yes it is, but you have some more features along, the side switch needs a bit more space. Also, construction is more sturdy, extra dimensions are due to this too!