Largest head XM-L - Thrower

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Im trying to select a new thrower light, I don't want an Olight SR light and think that an XM-L with a large reflector will do just fine. I've narrowed it down to 4 lights but wonder if I'm overlooking one. I'm currently looking at the following:
1. Sunwayman T40 CS (I believe the head is the same diameter as my S18)
2. Olight M3x
3. Thrunite Catapult V3
4. Crelant 7G5

I do currently have the Maelstrom S18 and suppose that unless one of these won't out-throw it, it's probably not necessary to get one of them. Any thoughts would be appreciated fellow CPF'ers!

Last edited:

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, so if I'm understanding you correctly... The M3x would be the most "throwing-est" option?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I heard the Trustfire X7 with a driver swap will throw better than all of these...

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
t40cs is 46'000 lux over the v3cat at 40thou, i think the m3x is less than that. The 7G5 is meant to be the best thrower from what ive seen / herd. I would personally go t40cs - sunwayman build is brill and its a good useable light. the 7g5 is not as well built and less modes if i remember ? the v3cat is a big solid brut if you need something bomb proof almost.

uplite

Enlightened
Eagletac M3C4-XML

The M3C4 is roughly on par with the Catapult. Around 40,000 lux @ 1 meter, according to my light meter.

Also it is very compact, runs on 2x18650 or 4x123, has a brightness selector ring, comes with an extra battery cage and other decent accessories, and takes standard 58mm photo filters if you want to change the tint. I use an 85C filter on mine most of the time, even though it eats about 1/3 of the output.

easilyled

Flashaholic
According to selfbuilt's review the Crelant 7G5 produces around 56,000 lux @ 1 meter and outthrows all the other 2 18650 lights that he's reviewed including the M3C4, Catapult V3 etc.

easilyled

Flashaholic
According to selfbuilt's review the Crelant 7G5 produces around 56,000 lux @ 1 meter and outthrows all the other 2X18650 lights that he's reviewed including the M3C4, Catapult V3, Olight SR51 etc.

I've heard that the Olight M3X throws pretty similar to the Crelant 7G5 but for more bucks (M3X), of course.

Enlightened
I have both the Olight M3X and Crelant 7G5. At the same distance, on the meter, the Crelant 7G5 has just 4.3% more lux than the Olight M3X. Same cells. But Olight is just doing 1.3A at the tail while the Crelant is doing 1.6A.

Reflected ceiling bounce, the 7G5 has about 6.3% more output than the Olight M3X.

Enlightened
I have both the Olight M3X and Crelant 7G5. At the same distance of 8.2 metres on the meter, the Crelant 7G5 has just 4.3% more lux than the Olight M3X. Same cells. But Olight is just doing 1.3A at the tail while the Crelant is doing 1.6A. I can do 55m but not much time now.

Reflected ceiling bounce, the 7G5 has about 6.3% more output than the Olight M3X.

From left to right: Reduced exposure photo
Solarforce Masterpiece PRO-1, Lumapower DMINI VX R2 with Turboforce Head, Dereelight DBS Aspheric R2 1.5a EZ900, Olight M3x, Crelant 7G5.

DSC01596.jpg

The Olight is not green, its my camera. To me, outside in real use, the olight seems to have a brighter hotspot than the crelant.

Of course, the DBS blows them all out of the water :devil:

Hope this helps

Rob

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
I have all those lights mentioned except the T40CS. I have the Olight SR51 as well. The M3X so far is the clear winner without a doubt.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Now to me, my daughter and her friend(since they were the ones to hold the lights when I took this picture at the tree at 60yds) this shot sums up the winner of the M3X vs the Crelant 7G5. The M3X is on the right. You be the judge. I know what my eyes see, and my daughter said the exact same thing once her friend turned the M3X on. Her friend said the exact same thing that it is no doubt brighter than the 7G5.

DSCF1593Small.jpg

Now I was told by some that the Crelant 7G5 I had was apparently not up to par like it should be. So I sent it back to Hank to exchange for another one. So we will see how the next one does. But I can tell you that I don't believe the other one will beat the M3X. But if it does, I'll let you know.

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Now if you want to see pictures of each on the same maual settings here they are. Again you can plainly see which one is brighter. These were both taken on the next night after the picture above was taken. Both were taken on the exact same magnification setting.

Crelant 7G5 60yds

DSCF1606Small.jpg

Olight M3X 60yds

DSCF1612Small.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
the best XM-L thrower with SMO Reflector is the Lamdalights XM-L Turbo.

125K lux and 900~1100 OTF lumens with 33 modes.

Is there another XM-L thrower with over 100K lux from just a SMO reflector?

bigC