4C mag w/ 5W HD

yclo

Flashaholic*
I just finished a 4C mag mod using the latest Hotlips-C + sleeve (cause it was an older model). It friction fits in so there's no messy heatsink grease to worry about.

The 5W HD of unknown bin is driven off a KL4 circuit from 4C cells, that's around 660ma to the emitter.

Here's a question, if the 5W w/ KL4 circuit runs around 1 hour with 2 123 cells. How long will it run from 4C cells? I'm speculating around 5 hours.

-YC

RussH

Enlightened
What type of C battery? I figure alkaline Cs should have 6-8ah depending on load. For close to a 1 amp load (I used 660ma / 80% = 880ma) I'd go with the 6ah and figure about 7 hours. That, among other things, assumes that it's a constant 880ma and that you are drawing the batteries down to about 1 volt (maybe .8 under load) and therefore getting almost all of the energy out of them.

The lithiums are so different that I don't see much point in trying to compare them to other battery chemistries. But I normally expect the energy content of C batteries to be about that of 123s, so twice as many batteries gives you about 4 times the energy (@1.5v) to burn when the amperage draw is the same. There are so many variables here that I think your 5 hr. estimate is just as good as my 4-7hr. estimate.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear the Hotlips went to good use! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif