NexTorch K3 : 2xAAA Penlight Shooting 180 Lumens! Anybody?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like the brand and have been really happy with my K1 (AAA cell). I would have no qualms in buying your pictured light.

NextorchK1b.jpg

GunnarGG

Enlightened
It's a very good looking design - SS bezel, the clip and the SS tailcap. (If it is SS that is.)

Machinist Man

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Nextorch K3 two weeks ago. I have grown to appreciate this light a lot in a very short time. I use to carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro for many years but it just was not bright enough for me for a lot of situations. I really liked the size and the feel of the light except for the brightness. I then found the TerraLUX Lightstar 80. This light has a nice brightness of 80 lumens but sometimes could be too much light for close up applications.The light is not as pocket carry friendly due to the location of the pocketclip. With this said, I continued to pursue looking for the perfect pen light size EDC light. The Nextorch K3 has four modes, an amazing 180 Lumens "or so they say" on high,70 on medium, 25 on low, and a 180 lumen strobe. The beam is a nice smooth flood. This makes this light very versatile for me. The only down sides that I have found are, its sleek smooth exterior is a little slippery to handle and it is battery thirsty on high. But you know if you want that kind of brightness out of two AAA batteries, you have to sacrifice some run time! All in all I am very pleased with this light. It is in my pocket at work and when I am at home.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

herculaneum79

Newly Enlightened
I got mine two weeks ago and I am very content with it!
It looks good and the runtime is long enough, especially in the lower modes. Because of the AAA-Battery-Use it is easy to handle even for older people or for beginners who do not want to buy Li-Ion batteries.

Here's my long german review with many pictures:
http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/taschenlampen/13646-review-nextorch-k3-penlight.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/partypixx/7054105729/in/photostream/lightbox/
7054105729_148676db2f_z.jpg

Good for car maintenance :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/partypixx/6908117792/in/photostream/lightbox/
6908117792_785a15fbf4_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/partypixx/7053712519/in/photostream/lightbox/
7053712519_50089c124a_z.jpg

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Any more reviews on this light? Do you guys rate it better then the similar 4Sevens or Fenix?

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I don't think the 2xAAA lights are very popular because the performance vs runtime isn't any better than single AA lights. They are nice and thin if you need a pen-sized light like that, but as for illumination needs, I think most people opt for a single AA or CR123 for compact lights.
Not saying it isn't any good, just that that's why I think they aren't very popular...

tjhabak

Enlightened
I don't have a Fenix penlight, but I have the K3, and a couple Preon 2's. I would say they are really close in every regard. The K3 switch isn't quite as easy to turn on accidentally. I always carry the Preon 2's with the bezel about a turn loose, to avoid accidental activation. I really like them both though.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit that I REALLY like this light. First of all, I have to disagree about what others have said about 2xAAA lights. I find that a thin, 2xAAA light feels MUCH less conspicuous in my pocket than even a 1xAA light. When it all comes down, it's all about the width. Also, at least based on what I see, I like this light ALOT more than the Preon 2 because of the fact that it has a 70 lumen setting. By contrast, with the Preon 2, you are stuck with either a low runtime 160 lumen setting or a dim 22 lumen setting. It looks like this could very well be my next light!

speedsix

Enlightened
I also EDC a 2 x AAA penlight. Currently a Pelican 1920. I used to carry the SL Stylus Pro but the 1920 has a nicer tint and much brighter with about the same runtime. 1 x AAA lights can have the same brightness or runtime but not both. A 2 x AAA can give me enough lumens and runtime where a single AAA will sacrifice one for the other. I get about 2 hours with my 1920 at a stated 67 lumens which I think is more accurate rating than the Terralux. The Terralux claims 80 lumens but is not nearly as bright as my 67 lumen Pelican.

The longer body actually makes using the light easier and the extra length does not get in the way while clipped to my pocket. I clip it left side like a knife and don't notice it all day. I am a big fan of penlights and headlamps and use them for work. All my other lights are toys but my penlight and headlamp are for working.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The longer body actually makes using the light easier

I never really thought about this, but it's true. I just like the feeling of a longer light in my hand alot better than some short, stubby 1xAA or 1xAAA light. It just feels more natural, and feels like you have a MUCH more secure grip on the thing.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never really thought about this, but it's true. I just like the feeling of a longer light in my hand alot better than some short, stubby 1xAA or 1xAAA light. It just feels more natural, and feels like you have a MUCH more secure grip on the thing.

Agreed. Long live 2AAA LED penlights!

penlights6.jpg