SC600, SC51, why no SC80?

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight gets a lot of praise for the 600 and 51, but why don't I hear much about the SC80?

MashBill

Newly Enlightened
Two reasons I can think of:
1. It's too new.
2. They don't offer it in a neutral version yet, so people are holding off their purchase. (Like me.)

MadAmos

Newly Enlightened
I have the sc80 and the sc600 they both have there uses and I like them both. For pocket carry the sc80 is my choice when wearing jeans. For max light there is of course no comparison.

Paul

scout24

Flashaholic
I bought my sc80 mainly for the cell versatility, the nice beam and great Ui were bonuses... Neutral would be nice, but in an emergency type light, which was my intended use, cool is fine.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
@scout24

Do you have a bright h1 flash when trying to get to medium from off?

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the same with my SC600, it's perfectly normal when doing shorts clicks from off. If it bothers you, try the "press and hold" method (but slower).

I'm very happy with my SC80, very nice beam and a really pure white tint on mine. Anodizing / interface / switch are shared with SC600.
An SC80W would be great :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
We are waiting for the neutral version to buy. Ive got my finger on the trigger!

burntoshine

Enlightened
Two reasons I can think of:
1. It's too new.
2. They don't offer it in a neutral version yet, so people are holding off their purchase. (Like me.)

..and me

@scout24

one thing you can do is aim the light into your leg or hand (point blank) when you double click, so the burst of high mode is blocked. either that or press and hold like ​nanucq said.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
Whew, I'm glad it's not just mine, I don't mind it too much. The SC80 is for sure my favorite of my 5 main lights (just started). The SC600 is next on my list but I'm waiting till I can afford it and 2-4 18650 3100mah. For the time being, gonna get a quark x aa2 and a AA body. Do the quarks still have preflash? Debating on regular or tactical UI, for sure I want the tact tailcap though.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect we don't hear a lot about the SC80 because it was released last September, and since then, we have entered the Era of the XM-L and lateral flooding with a huge total lumen output - yet the SC80 is an old XP-G R5 with 220 odd lumens.
Zebralight's big 3x18650 Triple XM-L SC6330 is just around the corner, with possibly more than 2000 lumens!
An XP-G R5 at a time like this?

Thus, a new pocket sized 16340 powered SC800 XM-L with 500 odd lumens of overall output, would certainly re-ignite the interest...

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
And run for 5 min.

I don't see anything wrong with the lower output of the SC80. You get good runtime in a small, versatile package. I wish my SC80c would hurry up and ship. I may have to get a standard sc80 to tide me over. If I need more than that, the bugger SC600 is always there.

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
At present the Zebralight website is 100 percent unreliable as far as "In Stock" and "backorder". I placed an order for an SC51w when it showed as "In Stock" and since then it has gone from in stock to back order two more times and I have still not received notification of shipment. This was 10 days ago. I'm fine with waiting for a back order when that is what I signed up for, but I bought a light listed as "In Stock" and it is not shipping.

I initiated a cancellation of my order yesterday and bought an H51 in the marketplace. I think Zebralight is a good company but right now you can't trust what their online store says with regards to its "in stock" status.

EDIT - and brasso is right about the low run times. The XPG in the SC51 and the SC80 gets such great run times..and 200 lumens. An XML driven hard with a lithium ion would get short run times, and then the XML would have weaker outputs with AA's or lithium primaries.

For me I wanted an SC51w over the SC80 because I like the integrated clip form factor and the lack of knurling..it looks like a more comfortable light for my pocket...and I don't mind missing 14500's because eneloops are so cheap and have higher mAh.

Last edited:

pobox1475

Enlightened
wuV3wEHJYHISgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Just got eMail from ZL. Neutral XP-G and High CRI LUXEON now available.

Last edited:

Danielight

Enlightened
wuV3wEHJYHISgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Just got eMail from ZL. Neutral XP-G and High CRI LUXEON now available.
What exactly is "High CRI LUXEON"? I noticed a reference to "85 CRI" in another post. How does this relate to the beam itself? I'm in the market for another light, and right now it looks like a toss-up between the SC51 and SC80. Just trying to get as much helpful input as to which light (and kind of beam) as I can.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly is "High CRI LUXEON"? I noticed a reference to "85 CRI" in another post. How does this relate to the beam itself? I'm in the market for another light, and right now it looks like a toss-up between the SC51 and SC80. Just trying to get as much helpful input as to which light (and kind of beam) as I can.

In theory, the 85CRI Phillips Luxeon emitter will have a slightly higher color rendering than the 70CRI Cree emitter. In practice it's unlikely that you'd notice much difference unless you were holding both lights side-by-side and comparing them.

ZL does not like using warm white 3000k emitters - they generally don't offer an LED as an option unless it's > 4000k. Because Cree doesn't have a 4000k+ HCRI option, they offer the Luxeon.

The beam patterns and color temperatures of both will be almost identical, it's more of a question of whether the 10CRI and 200k temperature is important to you.

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOTE

when something ZebraLight is out of stock... it will take 3 weeks to get one

2 weeks lead time
then time to ship to you 1 week

they try pretty hard but the laws of shipping product from Asia to US dictate times

Flashlight Enthusiast
In theory, the 85CRI Phillips Luxeon emitter will have a slightly higher color rendering than the 70CRI Cree emitter. In practice it's unlikely that you'd notice much difference unless you were holding both lights side-by-side and comparing them.

ZL does not like using warm white 3000k emitters - they generally don't offer an LED as an option unless it's > 4000k. Because Cree doesn't have a 4000k+ HCRI option, they offer the Luxeon.

The beam patterns and color temperatures of both will be almost identical, it's more of a question of whether the 10CRI and 200k temperature is important to you.

i am just looking for the bogeyman so 220 lumens hot is fine wid me :D