Optic or reflector with XR-E for extreme throw?

bstrickler

Enlightened
I've been looking at combining an SST-90 reflector (the DX one) with an XR-E over driven to 2.5 amps on nuke mode (1.5 on regular), but was wondering what the true feasability of that is, or how well/not well it would focus.

This project wouldn't start until next semester, where I'll be making a 6D mag (can use a smaller light, I just thought the 6D might be fun) powered XR-E (or worst case, SST-90) beast light, and a 64656 beast (only one of which would be carried in my Fiero at a time).

Any drivers you guys suggest for the XR-E? Looking to run NiMh's in it, for runtime.

I'm also interested in what optic/reflector you guys suggest for maximizing throw out of the XR-E. Should I just buy an FM 3" head (if he still has any left), and switch it between the two, when one isn't in use, and just make a cap for the other one?

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
For commercially available lenses, I've used the Ledil Rocket SS for my bike lights. I think it is 4 degrees FWHM, making it a tighter beam than a lot of stuff, and not much spill. It's available from Digi-key for a few bucks.

Steve K.

bstrickler

Enlightened
The best LED throwers all seem to use aspheric lenses rather than reflectors. There is a good thread about throwers here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?325827-Dedicated-throwers

I understand about aspherics, I just wanted to avoid those, because they have no spill whatsoever (in my experience), and have a square beam (I like my rounder beams), unlike reflectors and some optics.

Best optic, IMHO would be one in similar size to the M3LT/M6LT. I'm wanting one that will take up the spare space inside the Mag's head, or one similar to the 38mm optic for the XP-G, but if thats unavailable, I'll do what I can with what's available, or try out the XP-G one, and change my plans.