Pick one: PA40 or Quark Turbo X

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
If you could have either one, which one would you pick and why?

I'm trying to decide and would like to get everyone's insight on the two lights.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
PA40
It just gives me more confidence. I needed a utility/work light.
It's not rolling away on the job. It runs a long time. Less anodizing to scratch up.
Not freezing to my hand in the winter. Easy mode switching.
I didn't need a 69th pocket light.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
I'm strictly an Eneloop guy, so I'm biased, but I'd go with the PA40. I also wouldn't consider either light to be pocketable, so the longer runtimes of the PA40 would appeal to me, too.

Another big up for the PA40 is that it comes in neutral.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Loved this light. PA40

Slashman

Newly Enlightened
PA40 - better runtimes, better build quality, simply UI, more reliable tint and handy battery indicator. It's by far my favourite light that I currently own (and even better it was a gift from the misses for x-mas).

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark X, because I like the throw and its a much smaller light. Runtimes could have been better so I legoed mine to run on two 14500's so i can't complain! :)

But I'd get a PA40 eventually , because i just have too much AA's scattered all over the house.

budynabuick

Enlightened
pa40 beautiful tint, lights everything in front of you, perfect mode spacing, HI-HI,Lo-Lo, carbon fiber, and just plain solid built and takes AA. Feels great in he hand! Oh, and low batt indicator. Also, 3 hrs run time on turbo with eneloop XX's with high temp of 102f

Keith

Last edited:

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
Damn, now I really need to get a PA40. My flashlight addiction will never be satisfied.

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
Love my PA40 too, perfect light for work/utility at home/backyard with a well balanced beam and awesome runtimes. Capacity gauge never worked for me, start blinking very fast but runtimes are not affected. Tailstanding can be an issue, even if it can be resolved easily. In the AA category, you can also consider Olight S35&S65.

Don't know the Quark Turbo X.

EDIT: PA40 is not an EDC, not pocketable.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Turbo X.

Great thrower for its size. It's a good bit smaller & more lightweight compared to the PA40. The Turbo X is 4.7 oz. without battery and the PA40 is 6.5 oz without battery. The Turbo X is 5.2" long and the PA40 is 7.2" long. The Turbo X body is only 0.86" and the PA40 is 1.6" in diameter. The heads of each of these are about the same. These are some pretty big differences in size overall. I'd definitely consider the Turbo X to be a pocket light. It's a little large for edc, but I carry it when on a trip.

I go hiking & camping a lot and take my smaller lights (the Turbo X included.) Love mine. I run it on a single AW 17670 Li-ion rechargeable (same size as two CR123's.) The 17670 has more capacity & offers better runtimes than two RCR123's.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
If your not looking for EDC don't worry about size. Turbo X is still large and oblong anyway.
The PA40 is much better choice for the reasons above, I've owned Quarks...

It comes in both SMO and OP. Didn't notice a big difference in beam profiles. The SMO I had was beautiful and could throw further then my P100A2 XP-E R2. UI was amazing. Adonizing was very scratch resistant one of the best I have seen. Sadily, I can't offer any of these comments to any quarks after owning them. I don't even consider them. No worrying about heavy tints with the PA40. You get allot for the price. I sold mine recently for $55 in excellent condition.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they're different beasts. The X isn't an EDC light by any means, but I would consider carrying it in a holster on my EDC bag or backpack. That said, for a general utility light, work light, etc., I'd go with the PA40. The use of AA's, the run-times, and the construction all are better IMO. The X might make a better weapon light, or for lightweight carry though. I bought a PA40 in neutral for the glovebox of my wife's mom-mobile, loaded up with L91's, and it's been a horse. Great light for the money.

MIKENC

Newly Enlightened
++++++ 1 on the PA40, all things considered, it is really not even a competition

Jay611j

Enlightened
GForGeep; Why no more 4sevens for you Jay? [/QUOTE said:
Not trying to bash 4Sevens here, but the last two NW lights I bought from them were horribly green and before that I bought an S12 and I had connection issues with the switch, and two bad chargers (V1 and the V2). I guess just a stretch of bad luck. I'm just sticking to what works for me now and all of my Jetbeams have worked perfect.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you use LiIon 14500's in the PA40??

-Jamie M.

If you want to make it into an impromptu bomb, yes.

Not trying to bash 4Sevens here, but the last two NW lights I bought from them were horribly green and before that I bought an S12 and I had connection issues with the switch, and two bad chargers (V1 and the V2). I guess just a stretch of bad luck. I'm just sticking to what works for me now and all of my Jetbeams have worked perfect.

Likewise on all counts.